Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stop other dog licking wound!!

• 08-06-2014 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Looking for more ideas on how to stop one of my dogs licking my other dogs wound!!

So one of our dogs had surgery last week, he has 22 stitches up his tummy, he leaves them alone isn't bothered about them at all, the problem is one of our other dogs constantly trying to lick them. Strange thing is this dog isn't normally a licker!!! It's completely out of character.

I'm at home during the day with them all the time so thats not really an issue, if I catch him at it I can say leave it and he does immediately. The problem is at night...

Our dogs all sleep downstairs which is completely open plan, so far we've tried separating the dogs by putting up a baby get in an archway, the licker dog just jumped over it into the other dog. The next night we brought the sick dog upstairs to our bedroom, he paced the floor for hours and wouldn't settle, meanwhile licker dog is downstairs howling his head off. We tried switching the dogs, bring licker dog up, leave injured dog downstairs, but licker dog just howled upstairs then...which woke up the baby!!! So OH brought him back downstairs and slept on the couch, hoping his general presence might deter licker dog but we could tell the next morning he had licked the wound, prob the minute my Hubby fell asleep! So last night we tried a t shirt on the injured dog that covered the stitches completely...licker dog ate a hole through it and then proceeded to lick the wound.

Anyone got any more ideas before I lose my mind!!?!! Neither dog is crate trained so thats not really an option....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

Separate them while you cannot supervise them and at night,its only for a few days.
    If he pulls out those stitches you are going to have a very expensive vet bill and the poor dog will have to go under anaesthetic again.
    Plus contrary to popular opinion licking wounds if not ideal at the best of times,it can lead to wound breakdowns and infections :(
    If you could crate one and the other can see and smell then they should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

fiounnalbe wrote: »
    Looking for more ideas on how to stop one of my dogs licking my other dogs wound!!

So one of our dogs had surgery last week, he has 22 stitches up his tummy, he leaves them alone isn't bothered about them at all, the problem is one of our other dogs constantly trying to lick them. Strange thing is this dog isn't normally a licker!!! It's completely out of character.

I'm at home during the day with them all the time so thats not really an issue, if I catch him at it I can say leave it and he does immediately. The problem is at night...

Our dogs all sleep downstairs which is completely open plan, so far we've tried separating the dogs by putting up a baby get in an archway, the licker dog just jumped over it into the other dog. The next night we brought the sick dog upstairs to our bedroom, he paced the floor for hours and wouldn't settle, meanwhile licker dog is downstairs howling his head off. We tried switching the dogs, bring licker dog up, leave injured dog downstairs, but licker dog just howled upstairs then...which woke up the baby!!! So OH brought him back downstairs and slept on the couch, hoping his general presence might deter licker dog but we could tell the next morning he had licked the wound, prob the minute my Hubby fell asleep! So last night we tried a t shirt on the injured dog that covered the stitches completely...licker dog ate a hole through it and then proceeded to lick the wound.

Anyone got any more ideas before I lose my mind!!?!! Neither dog is crate trained so thats not really an option....

What size is the dog with stitches? Could you put a babygro or a baby vest on? Or if bigger then a t-shirt or top to cover the stitches? Other than invest in a crate to keep them separate in the same room. Depending on which dog might react worse to the crate. short term crating is a better option than further surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭fiounnalbe

Aru wrote: »
    Separate them while you cannot supervise them and at night,its only for a few days.
    If he pulls out those stitches you are going to have a very expensive vet bill and the poor dog will have to go under anaesthetic again.
    Plus contrary to popular opinion licking wounds if not ideal at the best of times,it can lead to wound breakdowns and infections :(
    If you could crate one and the other can see and smell then they should be fine.

I might have to get a crate alright, they've have never been in crates so I was trying to avoid that as I'm sure it will stress them out, but better that than an infected wound...
    What size is the dog with stitches? Could you put a babygro or a baby vest on? Or if bigger then a t-shirt or top to cover the stitches? Other than invest in a crate to keep them separate in the same room.

He's big!!! As I said tried OH t shirt last night, no go :(

Head to the nearest penneys, dunnes or Tesco tomorrow and get a cheapy tshirt in xl or xxl, they're usually less than a fiver. It's the easiest way to keep the stitches intact. A knot or a stitch to keep the bottom from dragging on the ground, but keep it loose enough that the air can get at the stitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

The other dog is eating through the shirts.....no?

• Advertisement

Yep he is!! Don't think I'd be willing to try it again since he's eaten through one already, last thing I want is that dog needing surgery to remove a tshirt from his intestine haha!!! :D

Sorry, not reading posts properly on my phone! Other than crating or separate rooms there's not much else that I can think of.

Will be sending OH off crate shopping tomorrow so I think! He'll be delighted!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Vicks vaporub spread around (but not directly on) the wound. Works like a charm! Keep it topped up as it's gradually absorbed. Two vets I know recommend this. Tastes yok!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

What about a dog gate - same as a baby gate but taller? Get one in Argos and keep the packaging etc then you can return it if the dog is able to jump over it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Put a cone on the licker dog when not supervised?? (cheaper than a crate)
    Let us know if the vaporub suggestion works - sounds good!

tk123 wrote: »
    What about a dog gate - same as a baby gate but taller? Get one in Argos and keep the packaging etc then you can return it if the dog is able to jump over it ;)
    Didn't even know they existed, cool will definitely look into that, thank you!!
    aonb wrote: »
    Put a cone on the licker dog when not supervised?? (cheaper than a crate)
    Let us know if the vaporub suggestion works - sounds good!

I was thinking of putting a cone on licker dog, but then was afraid he'd still try get at the stitches and hurt the other dog hitting him with the cone!! Dog's they're so difficult haha!

Vaporub is working so far, licker dog sniffed it once and has stayed away since, result :)

Going to try get a dog gate like TK123 suggested though and try it, cos the vaporub is also rubbing off on all their bedding haha, it's not a problem if its the only solution though!

Advertisement