Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very strange behaviour.

• 08-06-2014 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭

Five minutes ago my GFs family got was acting perfectly normal and just now I went to the kitchen to see the dog panting heavily, unable to stand, shaking uncontrollably and unable to walk with falling. She refused water and food. I checked for any ticks (dont know if that was necessary) and I wormed her myself a few weeks ago. She was outside for a few minutes a while ago but spent that time scratching at the back door.

Thing is, now shes perfectly happy again. Any one able to guess what that might have been.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

My King Charles used to get this when she was getting old and sick, she had some serious heart problems so it might have something to do with that? The vet just told us it was a common thing with the breed, we never found out what it actually was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Hotale.com wrote: »
    My King Charles used to get this when she was getting old and sick, she had some serious heart problems so it might have something to do with that? The vet just told us it was a common thing with the breed, we never found out what it actually was.

Yeah its a king Charles. Interesting. Thanks.

Yeah its a king Charles. Interesting. Thanks.

No bother, hope she's alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Please take your dog to the vet as she's obviously unwell. That is not a normal thing for a dog to do and it needs to be checked out asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

I would say it was something the dog eat and likely got sick in the garden and felt better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Bring your dog to the vets, it's possible that it could be episodic falling syndrome which can have symptoms which present as a seizure. Cavs are predisposed to inherit it from genetically defective lines.

The heart disease that the other poster mentioned was mitral heart disease and a late stage symptom of that is called presyncope, which may look like similar symptoms but is linked to MHD rather than EFS. MHD is also a disease synonymous with cavs. I'm on my phone so can't link to any articles but there's plenty of info if you search the diseases above.

Cavs are one of the breeds that have been so badly inbred that it's really really hard to find a healthy pup. They're a brilliant family dog so puppy farmers and bybs have really exploited them. Insurance is essential if you're going to get a cav.

Came across that yesterday while doing some research. Seems to have been what it was. When I looked it up on youtube the motions were exactly the same. Thanks.

Unfortunately its not up to me to bring the dog to the vet. I only pass on the little bits that I know. Unfortunately the family member who produced the pup is a know it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Came across that yesterday while doing some research. Seems to have been what it was. When I looked it up on youtube the motions were exactly the same. Thanks.

Unfortunately its not up to me to bring the dog to the vet. I only pass on the little bits that I know. Unfortunately the family member who produced the pup is a know it all.

Do you mean a family member bred the pup? If they bred cavs without doing a shred of research into the myriad of genetically inherited conditions that are highly likely to occur, and without any health testing, then they're in for a very expensive run at the vets, and a reduced quality of life & painful life for the dog.

If they weren't the breeder, they were stupid enough to go blindly into buying a very unhealthy breed from a byb or puppy farmer. What they saved in purchase price they will spend tenfold on the poor dog. And have supported the industry that produces the poor pups in the first place.

The 'breeder' bred from a runt if that matters. Also the GF has reported another episode. Vet is a no go apparently. No money.

Disgraceful, some people shouldn't be allowed to own dogs or animals of any description.
    Any chance you can take it to the vet?

• Advertisement

The 'breeder' bred from a runt if that matters. Also the GF has reported another episode. Vet is a no go apparently. No money.

Aren't there charity-type vet services? As in, they'd do it for only a small bit of money? Or they could try going to a student vet? That dog isn't going to get better on it's own.. :(

Dog had the mother of all episodes today. We were out walking for ten minutes and she collapsed and seizures for a good 30 minutes. She was unresponsive and still is. Rang the GFs mother to explain what had happened and she went nuts claiming the we caused the dog heat stroke. When it was explained how and why it wasn't heat stroke she threatened a box. Again, the vet is a no go. 'Its just hot.'

Can you not bring this poor dog to the vet yourself?? Seriously, its cruel and that dog needs the vet asap.
    Were you out walking with your girlfriend with the dog? If so, just bring the poor dog to the vets yourself and forget about what the mother is saying.

Why you keep coming on here and nothing is being done about it is beyond me....

Also, a dog should not be getting walked in this heat.

andreac wrote: »
    Can you not bring this poor dog to the vet yourself?? Seriously, its cruel and that dog needs the vet asap.
    Were you out walking with your girlfriend with the dog? If so, just bring the poor dog to the vets yourself and forget about what the mother is saying.

Why you keep coming on here and nothing is being done about it is beyond me....

Also, a dog should not be getting walked in this heat.

I don't have the money for the vets but I'll go up to them and see if they can work something out with me.

With regards to the heat, it wasn't as warm an hour ago when we were out. It probably was still a bit too hot but its definitely roasting now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Tell them denial of veterinary care to a sick animal is an offence, which it is. This is utterly disgraceful. To echo what has already been said by andreac I dont know why you keep posting when nothing is being done to help this dog. The Blue Cross do a charity clinic in Dublin on tuesday evenings I think, if youre not in Dublin could you ring them to see can they direct you to another avenue of help? I cannot ever understand people who can watch an animal suffering with ill health and do nothing.

Can your girlfriend not bring the dog to the vets? If it's her dog then she should be able to do something about it. Don't know how anyone could leave a dog like that, it's disgraceful.. There's the blue cross too which are much cheaper if money is an issue.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

There's a heavily subsidised veterinary clinic in Ballymun every Tuesday night from 6pm too, run by a wonderful local dog charity. The vet there is top class. If this is of any use to you, let me know and I'll find out more details for you.
    The little dog most certainly needs help, it sounds like her owner is in serious denial. I would not have exhibited such patience with her after today's outburst.

I'm in Limerick. I'm going to head to the vets in the morning and sort something out. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

I'm in Limerick. I'm going to head to the vets in the morning and sort something out. Thanks

why not do it now hugh and the vets at cvc are very approachable and do evening clinics id be shocked if you were refused on financial grounds

just ring and tell them how serious this issue is imho its gone beyond waiting days ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

well OP how did everything go in the vets?

With regard to your girlfriends family refusing to bring the poor dog to the vet - its disgraceful.

Personally I would go without something for myself than see my dog suffering and being refused medical care. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Most vets will work out a payment plan with you if you find yourself genuinely stuck, OP.

I'm really sorry but excuses like 'it's my GF's dog' or 'the mother won't let us' don't fly in this situation- what you have is a dog is grave need of URGENT veterinary attention, and to leave the dog without is absolutely cruel. The poor thing is suffering.

You need to put the welfare of the animal over and above any issues regarding politeness or social convention when it comes to dealing with this. Quite simply, the urgency of the situation trumps the fact that the mother might be annoyed.

The dog is booked in to see the vet. Don't know much more than that today because I'm away from them all. No doubt ill hear back later.

Advertisement