Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Very interesting article in the Guardian

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

It's a well-written article and explains quite well the reasons for, as my friend calls it, 'sour hipster coffee'. I often go to Monmouth if I find myself in the Borough Market area, it *is* always busy and very inviting where it's totally fine to have coffee whatever way you want. The article gets across the London coffee scene, I suppose.

I've been obsessed with coffee since my Dad began giving a 12 year-old me the real deal from his home espresso machine. I've gone through a variety of brewing methods and coffee styles over the years and there always seems to be more to learn. The pretension often annoys me, but I also think life is too short to drink bad coffee (I type this as I drink a mug of Nescafe at work). The thing is: there's no right and wrong. I suppose I felt myself siding with the author on one hand. Strong, unctuous, caramelly-bitter espressos are what I love, when I'm drinking espresso. If I'm drinking a regular cup of Joe, I don't want an americano. If I'm in an arabic restaurant, I'll have an arabic coffee. They're all just different ways of making coffee, and trends come and go, but traditions stay and evolve, and each tradition is a world and coffee occupies particular place in that world.

So, with the whole coffee thing, I'm left wondering if it's just the new fixie craze. A few years ago, it seemed everyone wanted to be running single speeds. Now, it's not so much. What's next? We're all obsessed with sharing a rare single-origin high altitude fair trade sourced yerba mate, known for its anti-oxidant properties and known communitarian benefits?

One really interesting thing, though: how much people he talked to spoke of how important the coffee's origin and the farmers of the coffee are. The jury's still out on whether this is part of a bigger social change where agricultural products are more and more seen as a product of human labour, reflecting a deeper understanding generally of how we're all bound up with each other through global and local social relations. Will we begin seeing this with industrial products?

Coffee is one of the quintessential, totemic commodities which go to the heart of our modern world, bringing up all its conflicting complications. And London is a great centre of these complications.

Advertisement