Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prank or Not?

• 08-06-2014 11:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

So I just got a phone call about five minutes ago from a friend. I fancy him, but I never thought he liked me back so I've just never said anything to him about it. I love being friends with him and don't want to make things awkward or anything, you know?

He does prank call videos on YouTube. They're things like telling his mum he's got a girl pregnant, ringing his dad saying he's run over a cat that had no collar and now has it in the car and doesn't know what to do, and telling my friend he had lost their tickets for a gig they were going to that night.

Anyway, he called me today. We talk regularly on the phone and this was the conversation (btw we always call each other pet names like babe):

Me: Hey babe.
    Him: Hey, how are you?
    Me: I'm alright thanks. My phone is literally about to die, just so you know in case I disappear. How are you anyways?
    Him: I'm good, thanks. I was thinking, are you busy on Tuesday night?
    Me: Not that I know of, why?
    Him: I was thinking maybe we could go out together. I heard of this place Cafe Bar H from a mate, and was thinking we could head out babe.
    Me: Sure. I'll let John and Mary* know in case they want to tag along as well.
    Him: Well, actually I was thinking maybe it could be just the two of us.
    Me: *I pause for a second thinking* Eh...
    Him: Just because we don't spend much time alone like.
    Me: Uh, babe... (I was about to say yes).
    Him: Jen, it's just over the past while I've begun to really, really like you. I was just hoping you would go out with-
    Me: Is this a prank James?
    Him: *pauses*

And that is where my phone unfortunately died. I've put it on charge there so that I can call him back, but I don't know what to do now. If it was a prank, he'll tell me straight out when I call him. If it wasn't though, the thing is he may just pretend it was after having his confidence knocked. I'm not one for telling guys I like them (I've only had one boyfriend, and it was only after he told me he liked me that I could find the courage to say the same - I'm just too scared) so I'm kind of like "do I try tell him I like him? If I say it and he says it actually was a prank, I'll feel so embarrassed [and I'll probably stop being friends with him because it's an immature prank]. But if it wasn't a prank, I'll be delighted."

*not their actual names

Basically, I think I need someone to give me a push to tell him I like him!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I would work off the premise that it's a prank so when your phone is working, ask him directly was it a prank and see what he says. If he says it was, say "ah that's a pity, was all geared up for our date", laugh coquettishly, bat your eyelashes, and see what he says to that ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

What Merkin said. Ask him straight out was it a prank and see what he says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

May I add, if it is a prank it's a pretty lousy one to pull on a friend. Hopefully it's not the case though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Unless he's 12, the guy sounds like a complete tool regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

He says pretty horrible things to get a laugh on youtube. Sounds like a nasty piece of work. Nevermind if it's a prank or real, I'd stay away from him until he's a lot more mature.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

He doesn't sound that bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Do you want it to be just a prank or do you want more?

He does sound like a tool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

He sounds like a tool...if it is a prank he is not worth your time.

I would simply ignore if you think it's a prank if it isn't he will let you know.

If he thinks he is such hot stuff that idea of him going out with a particular girl is so hilarious then he is awful. I would be quite hurt that he was laughing about it. If he thinks he is that above you then he is up his own ass and needs to mature.

We all go through a childish phase some last longer in it.

What age is he?

If it's a prank a good sport and let it go. Try not to be hurt by it. And just be mates.

If he is genuine he will let you know.

You already asked him if it is a prank. And if you ask again I understand you will feel you might be revealing your feelings. Do what another poster says and be funny about it.

Guys is a jerk if it's a prank though. I understand why you might be hurt though.

It does sound like a prank though.

If he is young just try and not to be hurt. Be a sport. I think thats what I would try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

May not be a prank, but I would definitely lose the "babe" stuff unless he is a small pig from a film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Bafucin

I had this happen to me in college.

It was the opposite in gender though. There was a girl in the college doing a different course from me. And I didn't know her or anything but saw her around. I don't know how she got my number but she called one night. I didn't even know who it was at firs until she reminded me and started chatting me up. Unbeknownst to me it was on speaker phone. She started saying how 'she really liked me etc', she asked me out. And I could here whispering and female giggles in the background. The next day she was like uh 'sorry randomness'. And ALL her friends knew and treated me like a knob, thought it was 'totes hilar'. I thought it was kinda cruel. Apparently it was not the first time she did it.

She was a total headwreck.

It sounds a little like a prank if it is out of the blue OP. But it might not be.
    If he is 12 then he is not so bad. Annoying to be mates with I would wager though. If he is 23 then he is a prick and not a real adult.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Bafucin

The only way to find out is ask him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭lurker2000

What happened since you called him back OP ? ......I'd say he was for real .... hoping so anyway !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Hi lurker2000, welcome to PI/RI. Can you please take 5 minutes to read our charter. One of the things we ask posters not to do is to ask for updates.

Thanks
    Taltos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭lurker2000

Apologies !

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭tawnyowl

It sounds very likely it's a prank given what he's done on Youtube. On the other hand, if he's serious do you really want to go out with someone who emotionally manipulates people for cheap laughs on Youtube?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Send him a text and ask if he is still on for Tuesday night. That will draw out the prank and, if not a prank, you have yourself a date.

Advertisement