Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coding help please (Html+Css)

Options
  • 09-06-2014 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

im making my first website with notepad++
    Do i put the html code and css code in the same file?
    if so
    do i save the file as html or css?
    thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭nikinova

HTML is used to structure your website - think of it as the skeleton of your site, CSS is used to style your site. Ok, so to answer your question:

"Do i put the html code and css code in the same file?
    if so "

In theory you can do this but it can get messy - I prefer to structure my site with HTMl and call in the CSS - I do this with the @import rule. So in short - yes I would have two files - one with my html (.html) and the other for styling- CSS (.css).

I think you should look at a few tutorials to get yourself comfortable with both HTML and CSS - I use
    Lynda.com - this is paid subscription - but other free tutorial sites I would recommend are:

1.http://www.codecademy.com/
    2. http://www.w3schools.com/

Best of luck!
    N

• Registered Users Posts: 26 RRMCCORK

Hi thanks very much , ive done lots of courses on codecademy, il check out lynda.com.
    Could i ask you one more question, ive tried to find the answer online but dont know exactly what to search

Go ahead...

when i finish making a website where do i upload it 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jonster

If you're looking to host it for free just for testing and playing around with there's a pretty good tutorial first hit by googling "How To: Get a Web Domain and Unlimited Web Hosting for Free" (sorry low post count, can't put links in)

Basically you need 2 things:
    1) Hosting, which is basically space on a server that allow users to access your website.
    2) A domain name, which is your web address, which points to the files hosted on the hosting service.

• Advertisement

thanks so much, i know a bit about what your saying, but do i upload the html/css files onto the hosting site?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jonster

Yep, follow the tutorial it should be clearer afterwards. To start with you probably want to name your homepage index.html when you upload it to the root directory of your hosting space.

Thanks very much! :)

Good luck OP

Advertisement