Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phibsborough, Dublin 7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭niconline76

Omackeral wrote: »
    Bohs new season kicks off this Friday night in Dalymount Park at 7:45pm Shoukd be a cracking atmosphere for the first night back against Finn Harps. Give it a go if you can.

agree! i settled in Phibsboro in late 2015 and got a season ticket for Bohs every year since... football may not be the most spectacular but there's a great old school/genuine atmosphere in Dalymount and it's a good way to meet people from the area

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

agree! i settled in Phibsboro in late 2015 and got a season ticket for Bohs every year since... football may not be the most spectacular but there's a great old school/genuine atmosphere in Dalymount and it's a good way to meet people from the area

I travel the length and breadth of the country (and even abroad) with some of the people I've met there. Made some great friends from it. The beautiful thing is you get fresh air, see some football where the next star might emerge and you can still watch the English premiership next day and Sunday if that's your thing. It's not one or the other!

Oh yeah and there's bars there with good deals!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭niconline76

does anyone know if and when the shopping centre redevelopment will start? After An Board Pleanála approval last August I assumed things would have moved relatively quick but nothing seems to happen there..,

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭coco7

does anyone know if and when the shopping centre redevelopment will start? After An Board Pleanála approval last August I assumed things would have moved relatively quick but nothing seems to happen there..,
    They should be able to start soon enough according to the Irish Times today.
    “A deal to clear the way for the redevelopment of Phibsborough shopping centre, and neighbouring Dalymount Park stadium has been struck between Dublin City Council and developers.
    The €50 million revamp of the centre, often ranked as one of Dublin’s ugliest buildings, was approved by An Bord Pleanála in August, but questions remained about ownership of a plot between the centre and the stadium.”

“Work is due to finish in 2022. Retail space in the centre will be tripled, along with a seven-storey-high student accommodation block.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/deal-done-on-phibsborough-shopping-centre-and-dalymount-sites-1.3799496

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

They can't start without the funds being made available :)

No way the stadium will be complete by 2022 either. Bohs only expected in Tolka from next season (was meant to be initial this season...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

coco7 wrote:
    “Work is due to finish in 2022. Retail space in the centre will be tripled, along with a seven-storey-high student accommodation block.â€

Fecking more student accom...crazy...what about homes for people? A couple of hundred affordable housing 2 bed apartment units would transform Phibsboro with the extra people and vibrancy it would bring to the area....madness...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Zipppy wrote: »
    Fecking more student accom...crazy...what about homes for people? A couple of hundred affordable housing 2 bed apartment units would transform Phibsboro with the extra people and vibrancy it would bring to the area....madness...

Student accommodation is "homes for people".

Increasing student accommodation frees up non-student accommodation. There's still a lack of student accommodation in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭abcabc123123

Amirani wrote: »

Increasing student accommodation frees up non-student accommodation. There's still a lack of student accommodation in Dublin.
    It frees up some non student accommodation but the two don't overlap fully. Students often rent on very restrictive terms not suitable to others - e.g. Mon to Fri, for a portion of the year, in a small room with a family. These terms don't suit a lot of people, e.g. permanent Dublin residents, couples, families.

Two big blocks opened up around the corner from me last year and they've been unable to fill them. The ad below has been up for ages, although to be honest you can see how many vacant units there are by the sheer number of bedroom windows with blinds up at night.

https://touch.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-rent/stoneybatter/grangegorman-lower-stoneybatter-dublin-1899806

Part of this is probably due to the opening missing the start of term, but it still raises questions about the demand: if student housing is as desperately needed as general housing is, why are these places not at capacity?

Student blocks seem to be the only housing being built in D7 at the moment and residents are justified in having concerns about it.

It frees up some non student accommodation but the two don't overlap fully. Students often rent on very restrictive terms not suitable to others - e.g. Mon to Fri, for a portion of the year, in a small room with a family. These terms don't suit a lot of people, e.g. permanent Dublin residents, couples, families.

Two big blocks opened up around the corner from me last year and they've been unable to fill them. The ad below has been up for ages, although to be honest you can see how many vacant units there are by the sheer number of bedroom windows with blinds up at night.

https://touch.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-rent/stoneybatter/grangegorman-lower-stoneybatter-dublin-1899806

Part of this is probably due to the opening missing the start of term, but it still raises questions about the demand: if student housing is as desperately needed as general housing is, why are these places not at capacity?

Student blocks seem to be the only housing being built in D7 at the moment and residents are justified in having concerns about it.
    Amirani wrote: »

I've been talking to kinds of my friend in the city who are at college and they hardly know anyone living in these types of accommodation. They rent for 1k+ per month..hardly the rental that parents of students can afford. Mainly international students rent these funded by rich mammies and daddies.
    Now I know these students need somewhere to live but my point is that they dont help create a vibrant community..(possibly gone all summer and many weekends..only really use take aways and coffee shops locally and wont help build up a neighbourhood feel to an area..))
    Plus there's just way too many being built in the D7 area..its crazy..
    Imagine what 200 couples many with a child or so could do for the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

Heard the shelborne hotel group bought the old state cinema building and several of the shops beside any news of type of development being planned anyone?
    Am out of the country now so would like to see something like a hotel would be handy especially with the matter hosp nearby

• Advertisement

Heard the shelborne hotel group bought the old state cinema building and several of the shops beside any news of type of development being planned anyone?
    Am out of the country now so would like to see something like a hotel would be handy especially with the matter hosp nearby

Yes I've heard that...also all the shops there are no vacant so we await further news....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

Yes I've heard that...also all the shops there are no vacant so we await further news....
    Anybody hear any more on the rumour about the hotel? I can't find reference to it anywhere.

eastwest wrote: »
    Anybody hear any more on the rumour about the hotel? I can't find reference to it anywhere.

Shelbourne Hotel group apparently :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Have gone sale agreed on a place in Phibsborough so all going well I'll be moving in in a month or two. Looking forward to it.

Sorry for quoting myself, but contracts signed so it's pretty much all sorted now, will be an official Phibsborough resident in the next couple of weeks. Delighted!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sorry for quoting myself, but contracts signed so it's pretty much all sorted now, will be an official Phibsborough resident in the next couple of weeks. Delighted!

You will love it. It's a lovely spot. Congratulations.

Welcome aboard..have you picked out your new local yet? Cross Guns does it for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Something new seems to be going next door to the Greek restaurant. Small retail/salon or coffee shop maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

I think the planning application said it was a cafe!

I think the planning application said it was a cafe!

I wondered was it an extension to Greek cafe.. doesn't seem so tho
    In other news I see an insomnia at shops in cabra..near aib bank..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Welcome aboard..have you picked out your new local yet? Cross Guns does it for me :)

Gravediggers is the only spot for me!

• Advertisement

Gravediggers is the only spot for me!

Sure that's in glasnevin :)

Any contacts for a window cleaner in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

Yesterday I was contacted by two people to enquire if I'd noticed a Crack Cocaine epidemic in Phibsborough after they'd read this article on The Journal;

https://www.thejournal.ie/crack-cocaine-phibsborough-4545322-Mar2019/

I haven't noticed an epidemic. Nor have I noticed any dealing or anti-social behavior that I haven't seen all over Dublin. The area obviously has issues with alcoholism and drug addiction, it's hardly breaking news, so I'm not sure why they honed in on Phibsborough but alas.

Lest we forget that only last September, Phibsborough was named as one of the 'coolest neighbourhoods in the world' by Time Out magazine.

Swings and roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pmcc1

The article’s point on reduction in policing is well made however. I have seen a guard on foot in the Phibsboro area about twice since Christmas.
    Service given to neighbours who have sadly had to report crimes has been WOEFUL.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 previousmass

Any contacts for a window cleaner in the area?

Used this guy once. Only time I have ever hired a window cleaner so he is the best and worst window cleaner I have ever used.
    Would hire again (if I ever feel the need again).

http://www.matthewscleaningservice.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I've used these guys for window cleaning and chimney sweeping and found them good.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

Looking at Phibsborough as new home after Landlord looking to move back in, so some great info throughout the thread. Saw some apartments on canal available but next to the old bakery mill, which seems prime for redevelopment. Seems to be some permission on the books since 2014 but nothing done yet.......

Would be just my luck to move in and they start ripping it down.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I see the development company are looking to change the 4 story apartments planned on the smurfit site to 9 story. Rumour has it it's being done on behalf of Google.

Wee phibsboro dronevideo...
    https://youtu.be/wDXlVNCsGa4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

I see the development company are looking to change the 4 story apartments planned on the smurfit site to 9 story.

Ah that would be quite the change. Where did you see/hear this, or just on the grapevine?

Advertisement