Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phibsborough, Dublin 7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

ongarboy wrote: »
    I seen there is a Kennedys Food store just down from Loretta's on Doyles Corner - haven't been in it but does it offer food a little more upmarket than your usual Spar/Centra?

Its a cafe not a store

the closest mixture would probably be bang bang which is more of a hybrid

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

ongarboy wrote: »
    I seen there is a Kennedys Food store just down from Loretta's on Doyles Corner - haven't been in it but does it offer food a little more upmarket than your usual Spar/Centra?

Kennedy's is delicious. Miles ahead of any Spar/Centra offering. Clarke's up in Cabra have a good deli section too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pbermo

Talking to staff in Lotretta’s and Gents of Dublin barbers and both said there’s a Starbucks going into the old bookies site at Doyle’s corner. Anybody else hear anything similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pmcc1

pbermo wrote: »
    Talking to staff in Lotretta’s and Gents of Dublin barbers and both said there’s a Starbucks going into the old bookies site at Doyle’s corner. Anybody else hear anything similar?

That report also reached my ears. I'm conflicted how I feel about it. On one hand SB is crap, but on the other its a good endorsement of Phibs.
    Gents of Dub is a fountain of local info. They should have a noticeboard in the window.

Also, lets not forget Fresh Market at the row of shops on New Cabra Road as a candidate for best local fancy shop. That's a great row altogether.

Stone Villa has sold again.
    108% profit for allowing it fall down for a decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

pmcc1 wrote:
    Stone Villa has sold again. 108% profit for allowing it fall down for a decade.

stone villa?

More cars done in Munster/ Connaught st last 2 nites :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Zipppy wrote:
    More cars done in Munster/ Connaught st last 2 nites

What was done?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Not a fan of Starbucks coffee but no doubt they will do well there, especially if they open late till 10pm like some stores. At least that would give people a place to meet people in the evening that is not a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 s_mcloughlin

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Not a fan of Starbucks coffee but no doubt they will do well there, especially if they open late till 10pm like some stores. At least that would give people a place to meet people in the evening that is not a pub.

The late opening is definitely one of their redeeming points - most other coffee places close up far earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pbermo

Any updates at all on discussions with Tesco regarding the redevelopment? Are things still at a standstill?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The late opening is definitely one of their redeeming points - most other coffee places close up far earlier

Yeah the late opening is a bonus. I went into 2 Boys Brew one day and couldn't get a coffee at 4.30pm. Madness.

Muahahaha wrote:
    Yeah the late opening is a bonus. I went into 2 Boys Brew one day and couldn't get a coffee at 4.30pm. Madness.

I think most coffee shops shut 4 ish...tis mad alright..

Any updates at all on discussions with Tesco regarding the redevelopment? Are things still at a standstill?

According to the coverage*, yesterday was D-Day as to whether the row is stopped or escalated. Has anyone seen work underway on that 2 foot wall to the front of the shop?

*From IT article “The developer has recently escalated this matter, stating that they will commence extending the boundary wall at the front of the store on 28 April, preventing our trucks from gaining access and making deliveries to our store impossible.”

pmcc1 wrote: »
    According to the coverage*, yesterday was D-Day as to whether the row is stopped or escalated. Has anyone seen work underway on that 2 foot wall to the front of the shop?

*From IT article “The developer has recently escalated this matter, stating that they will commence extending the boundary wall at the front of the store on 28 April, preventing our trucks from gaining access and making deliveries to our store impossible.”

LOL

Must keep an eye out for that...

Tesco trucks parked on the path has been very bad form .. obstructing right of way...This is gonna get interesting :)

In other news I see the shop opposite Tesco shut this last few weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭niconline76

this what I heard over the wknd, not sure how true but anyway...

MM is short of a good few millions as they relied on incoming capital from presales of student apartments but that didn’t work out. Hence the trouble with chance that all collapses unless some1 steps in on developer side.

As much as I detest Tesco i find hard to believe they made totally game changing demands out of the blue...

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Wayne Gorsky

is there a good link with a short version on what the issue is there? like why a standstill and all...?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Anyone recommend very young child friendly places for lunch/brunch/coffee etc? Being able to get a buggy in would certainly help.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭petejmk

Anyone recommend very young child friendly places for lunch/brunch/coffee etc? Being able to get a buggy in would certainly help.

Legit is great for space and staff are really good with kids. Woodstock good too. If you're looking a bit further afield The Lovely Food Company in Drumcondra is brilliant since they extended. Staff are top notch with our 18 month old.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

back page, plenty of space

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Legit is good for bringing buggies in - no hassle

• Advertisement

Great thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

Kennedy's is a tight enough for space on the inside, but the seating out the back would be fine for a buggy.

does anybody living in the Connaught street area here have Sky broadband and if so how do you find it? I’m considering a possible switch from Virgin Media to avail of the better Sky TV interface but I’m a bit concerned about their broadband quality compared to VM...🀔

Was walking down the canal earlier on the Shandon side and saw there was a swan nesting right beside the path. Had me a bit worried, people walk their dogs down there or god forbid some idiot kids would disturb it. The nest has eggs in it I'm fairly sure. Is this usual?

does anybody living in the Connaught street area here have Sky broadband and if so how do you find it? I’m considering a possible switch from Virgin Media to avail of the better Sky TV interface but I’m a bit concerned about their broadband quality compared to VM...🀔

I'm pretty sure everyone in the market except Virgin are just reselling Eir broadband, Eir and Virgin are the only ones with infrastructure. My parents have it out in NCD and it seems fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Yes, there's a good few swans' nests every year along that stretch. Most people are very good with them but there are some tragedies.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Was walking down the canal earlier on the Shandon side and saw there was a swan nesting right beside the path. Had me a bit worried, people walk their dogs down there or god forbid some idiot kids would disturb it. The nest has eggs in it I'm fairly sure. Is this usual?

They've been nesting there for a good few years now, don't think there's ever been a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

Does anyone know what the story was with the fireworks in Phibsborough near the canal last night, first lot went off at around 00:30 and then another lot at 01:30, set off a load of car alarms near me, very annoying!!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I was in Phibsborough yesterday evening to do some errands and I was approached by three people looking for money “to get a bed in a hostel” and saw another 3 or 4 people lying in doorways in a rough state.

All this talk of Phibsborough being the “chic, trendy new quarter” is rather premature methinks...

• Advertisement

Does anyone know what the story was with the fireworks in Phibsborough near the canal last night, first lot went off at around 00:30 and then another lot at 01:30, set off a load of car alarms near me, very annoying!!!

heard that loud and clear, very strange...

Advertisement