Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phibsborough, Dublin 7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Does anyone know what the story was with the fireworks in Phibsborough near the canal last night, first lot went off at around 00:30 and then another lot at 01:30, set off a load of car alarms near me, very annoying!!!

A 75th birthday celebration apparently, somewhere at crossguns Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I was in Phibsborough yesterday evening to do some errands and I was approached by three people looking for money “to get a bed in a hostel” and saw another 3 or 4 people lying in doorways in a rough state.

All this talk of Phibsborough being the “chic, trendy new quarter” is rather premature methinks...
    No point in 'drumming' for change in an area that doesn't have money.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Wayne Gorsky

I was in Phibsborough yesterday evening to do some errands and I was approached by three people looking for money “to get a bed in a hostel” and saw another 3 or 4 people lying in doorways in a rough state.

All this talk of Phibsborough being the “chic, trendy new quarter” is rather premature methinks...

Yup, and very unfortunately so…loads of begging, theft and robbery going on in the area, and loads of junkies and homeless around…and then that strange rigmarole around that overdue shopping centre redevelopment…and all the littering and illegal dumping all over the place…really a shame as the area has so much going for it otherwise…it just takes more than the odd hipster café…

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

...theft and robbery going on in the area

Where is this happening, and what is being robbed?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tropple

I walked through Rathmines on Saturday and saw something similar. This is a citywide problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

tropple wrote: »
    I walked through Rathmines on Saturday and saw something similar. This is a citywide problem

I live in Phibsborough and before I lived here I was just over the canal in Glasnevin and I've never been approached for money.

That is (sadly) very true…though, having lived in the area for some 10 years, I have the feeling Phibsborough is getting worse if anything…or the problem is just becoming more visible, like around that soldier statue for example…

Wayne, can you let me know about the "theft and robbery going on in the area" that you mentioned above? What is being robbed, and where?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

hankless wrote: »
    Wayne, can you let me know about the "theft and robbery going on in the area" that you mentioned above? What is being robbed, and where?

Saw a bike being robbed at the weekend along royal canal bank, lad in the distance beating the crap out of a lock with a brick and then cycling off.
    I assume he was stealing it at least.

Ok, a bike robbery along the canal wouldn't necessarily have me as concerned as other forms of robbery which Wayne is saying have allegedly been taking place. I'm still awaiting an update, as I'd really like to know about this. I'm a resident and haven't heard of any upsurge in robberies, or incidents of note.

• Advertisement

Well, saw some junkies kick a door a few years ago, quite recently witnessed some girl robbing an elderly woman’s purse, witnessed some teen skangers going through the bike locks, not to mention the numerous incidents witnessed around the Tesco off licence up there over the years etc…just what comes to mind right now…

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭morritty

Ok, a bike robbery along the canal wouldn't necessarily have me as concerned as other forms of robbery which Wayne is saying have allegedly been taking place. I'm still awaiting an update, as I'd really like to know about this. I'm a resident and haven't heard of any upsurge in robberies, or incidents of note.
    At least 15 garages broken into in the Shandon area a few weeks ago from what I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

morritty wrote:
    At least 15 garages broken into in the Shandon area a few weeks ago from what I heard.

I think the lanes aren't gated up there...might be time...

Zipppy wrote: »
    I think the lanes aren't gated up there...might be time...
    Correct, a lot of people are saying no to it for some reason, possibly the cost. and with the green of the canal directly attached to one of the lanes you'd need a lot to cover that

Nice to see Clement & Pekoe opened up on Blessington Street - quite a big premises that I think they're running their wholesale business from, but there's a really nice cafe and retail selection too

Well, saw some junkies kick a door a few years ago, quite recently witnessed some girl robbing an elderly woman’s purse, witnessed some teen skangers going through the bike locks, not to mention the numerous incidents witnessed around the Tesco off licence up there over the years etc…just what comes to mind right now…

I see. A few junkies drug addicts committing a crime a few years ago isn't that concerning. Overall your insinuation that there is (at present) a crime problem in the area is wide of the mark. Based on your observations, Phibsborugh is not too different to practically every borough, village and town in Dublin.

I was concerned that you were alluding to a spate in crime in recent weeks/months. You weren't, thankfully.

I see. A few junkies drug addicts committing a crime a few years ago isn't that concerning. Overall your insinuation that there is (at present) a crime problem in the area is wide of the mark. Based on your observations, Phibsborugh is not too different to practically every borough, village and town in Dublin.

I was concerned that you were alluding to a spate in crime in recent weeks/months. You weren't, thankfully.

Na, just to the overall situation…as you say “Phibsborugh is not too different to practically every borough, village and town in Dublin”, which is unfortunately true, and is in itself quite concerning regarding Dublin as a whole…all in all I just don’t feel the area is improving at all, rather the opposite…

morritty wrote:
    Correct, a lot of people are saying no to it for some reason, possibly the cost. and with the green of the canal directly attached to one of the lanes you'd need a lot to cover that

We're nearby..got gates a few years ago.. think it was €200...great value...

Zipppy wrote: »
    We're nearby..got gates a few years ago.. think it was €200...great value...
    Per gate? was the cost split between the whole road? or just residents close to each gate? Thanks for the info.

morritty wrote:
    Per gate? was the cost split between the whole road? or just residents close to each gate? Thanks for the info.

two gates.. one at each end...i think most residents paid..those that did got 2 keys..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Small note but some of the cygnets along the canal have hatched, just saw it mentioned on Facebook. Not sure if it's the ones by the Bald Eagle or the ones down Shandon direction, had been keeping an eye on the latter over the last few weeks, hope they're all ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

Nice to see Clement & Pekoe opened up on Blessington Street - quite a big premises that I think they're running their wholesale business from, but there's a really nice cafe and retail selection too

I live right besides it almost, what is special about it? Specialty teas?

Blessington Street area is fighting the gentrification, hard. It was brave of Clement & Pekoe to move in, and probably a bit premature. I was recently in the café down from it, La Pausa Caffé. Wouldn't have been mad on the food, but I saw they have small, good selection of beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I see planning was refused this morning for the changes on the Smurfit site.

Blessington Street area is fighting the gentrification, hard. It was brave of Clement & Pekoe to move in, and probably a bit premature. I was recently in the café down from it, La Pausa Caffé. Wouldn't have been mad on the food, but I saw they have small, good selection of beers.

the vegan Fish & Chip on the corner seems to be thriving, so I can't see it fighting off the gentrification for too much longer. Wood Fire Cafe is excellent too

https://www.allthefood.ie/single-post/2018/10/14/This-Weeks-Critic-Reviews

Interesting, I love a good pizza, I'll definitely check it out. I mentioned it before in this thread but RUA pizza in Phibsboro village is delicious. Have had it several times now and never been disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pmcc1

Interesting, I love a good pizza, I'll definitely check it out. I mentioned it before in this thread but RUA pizza in Phibsboro village is delicious. Have had it several times now and never been disappointed.

Don't share your appreciation of Rua. They made us wait a long, long, long time to order when we tried to dine in - with hungry kids in tow. That place needs to decide if its a take away or a restaurant.

I've only ever had it delivered, can't fault the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Doyles Corner- has there been anything more said about Starbucks are setting there? Is it true or just a rumour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 pbermo

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Doyles Corner- has there been anything more said about Starbucks are setting there? Is it true or just a rumour?

The lads in Gents of Dublin said its not going to be a Starbucks after all. They don’t know what’s planned. Anybody have any idea? Also, anything on the MM Capital-Tesco shambles?

Advertisement