Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phibsborough, Dublin 7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

I don’t know weather you guys know but the An Oige youth hostel on Mountjoy street closed its doors last week.
    One of the best and biggest hostels in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭morritty

pbermo wrote: »
    The lads in Gents of Dublin said its not going to be a Starbucks after all. They don’t know what’s planned. Anybody have any idea? Also, anything on the MM Capital-Tesco shambles?
    Basically, the fact that Insomnia didn't work in the Spar, is the reason Starbucks pulled out

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tropple

I don’t know weather you guys know but the An Oige youth hostel on Mountjoy street closed its doors last week.
    One of the best and biggest hostels in Dublin

Interesting, always seemed like quite a busy place. I walked past it this week and saw surveyors outside, so there must be something planned

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Anyone recommend very young child friendly places for lunch/brunch/coffee etc? Being able to get a buggy in would certainly help.
    Loads of space in Loretta's

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Wayne Gorsky

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Doyles Corner- has there been anything more said about Starbucks are setting there? Is it true or just a rumour?

is that pub/restaurant place closing down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

is that pub/restaurant place closing down?

Which one?

Zipppy wrote: »
    Which one?

Doyles Corner

• Registered Users Posts: 68,754 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Doyles Corner

The entire crossroads is known as Doyles Corner. The unit people were suggesting would be Starbucks is the empty bookies fully opposite.

L1011 wrote:
    The entire crossroads is known as Doyles Corner. The unit people were suggesting would be Starbucks is the empty bookies fully opposite.

ah..I see the confusion now....
    Yes empty unit that was a bookies in a former life...the pub Doyle's corner seems to be doing very well and lorettas restaurant has lasted thus far but honestly don't know if it will last as it's expensive with poor menu and it's cold...time will tell..

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

Yeah I'd like Loretta's to go the distance but the that restoration and continuous overheads have to be huge - they'd want to be bursting at the seems, and I've never seen it full.

It'll be interesting to see what goes in at the old bookies. Hopefully another hotel. We could do with more hotels.

• Advertisement

hankless wrote:
    It'll be interesting to see what goes in at the old bookies. Hopefully another hotel. We could do with more hotels.

or student accommodation...

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭niconline76

ah..I see the confusion now....
    Yes empty unit that was a bookies in a former life...the pub Doyle's corner seems to be doing very well and lorettas restaurant has lasted thus far but honestly don't know if it will last as it's expensive with poor menu and it's cold...time will tell..

see your point but Loretta's brunch/lunch menu has improved lately in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

hankless wrote: »

Yes, you could fit 100s of rooms into this little unit alright. I can see the Hilton and Crowne Plaza both fighting over it.....

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3607859,-6.2726597,3a,75y,230.28h,93.99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stshT-tkI6542AzCMIkU3Jw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

tropple wrote: »
    the vegan Fish & Chip on the corner seems to be thriving, so I can't see it fighting off the gentrification for too much longer. Wood Fire Cafe is excellent too

https://www.allthefood.ie/single-post/2018/10/14/This-Weeks-Critic-Reviews

Yeah, I kinda like the coffee at C&P, also the pizza at the WFC and La Pausa’s sandwiches…all three nice additions to the area I’d say…hope there to stay…

Best would be a nice up-market food store like Donnybrook Fair, Dollard & Co., Fallon & Byrne or so, like with a proper international cheese and sausage/meat selection and all…I may have said it before, just wishful thinking anyway…

tropple wrote:
    the vegan Fish & Chip on the corner seems to be thriving, so I can't see it fighting off the gentrification for too much longer. Wood Fire Cafe is excellent too

vegan fish n fish shop?

I see planning was refused this morning for the changes on the Smurfit site.

which changes were they?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

which changes were they?

They were originally granted permission for 76 apartments and 43 houses (where around 35 of the houses are already built). They tried to change the plans to add an additional 225 apartments but that was rejected.

From what I read it looks like at least part of the reason for the objection was that as they had already build the 35 houses, they would now be out of place facing a 9 story apartment block.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Yes. Rumour has it that Google bought the entire stock of apartments on condition that the changes were granted. Don't know what will happen now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

vegan fish n fish shop?
    https://the-eatyard.com/vendors/vishshop/

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

New cafe opening opposite Hedigans...prospect cafe...

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

Had the beef burger in Hedigan's over the weekend. It was one of the nicest burgers I've had in a long time.

From Phizzphest/Reimagining Phibs FB in case you misssed it:

Update on Bus Connects and Tesco

We have been very active over the past few months engaging with the various stakeholders whose projects will have a direct impact on the public realm in Phibsborough, including the NTA on Bus Connects, DCC, developers of the Shopping Centre, MM Capital and most recently - following prolonged efforts to persuade them to meet us - Tesco Ireland Head Office.

The NTA invited our community delegation, comprising Phizzfest, the LEIP Committee, Dublin Cycling Campaign, Tidy Towns and the business community to another update, this time with their design team, on Thursday last. Design is still at conceptual stage but we were impressed and excited about the plans for the public realm in Phibsborough. We have a pdf of the presentation which we will share on our website in the coming days. In the meantime, we want to share the significance of one of the public realm improvements which can be seen in the image below which shows a new seating and landscaped area along the front of the shopping centre for pedestrians. This provides an unintended bonus for the community and the redevelopment of the shopping centre as the NTA plan to CPO a section of the car park fronting onto the footpath as part of the improvements to the public realm, thereby automatically eliminating Tesco’s ability to drive 40ft articulated lorries across the public footpath to deliver to the front of the store, a practice that Tesco were adamant must continue and for which they were insisting that the developers apply for planning to DCC. Tesco will now have to use the rear service yard which will be built to service deliveries to the entire centre and work with the developer to resolve their issues.

The design, which we stress is a work-in-progress, also includes footpath widening, additional tree planting, additional pedestrian crossings, a new cycling route along the canal with a cycle and pedestrian bridge across the canal to Villa Bank and the opening of the underpass at Blacquire Bridge. The next update from Bus Connects is due to take place in September.

We also met with representatives of Tesco Head Office on 10th July and during that meeting which took place on site in Phibsborough, they outlined the issues they had with the redevelopment, the most significant of which was a guarantee that they could continue to deliver across the footpath to the front every night. We were very concerned that apart from the question of how they would receive deliveries, most of what they discussed was raised post planning and was not included in their submissions to DCC, An Bord Pleanála or at the Oral Hearing in April 2018. We looked for clarification on a number of points and were asked to outline these by email following the meeting, which we did. To date we have received no response despite being explicitly and clearly reassured that TESCO would now embark on a new phase of conversation and dialogue with the community. We outlined the very real reputational damage that is being done to TESCO in Dublin 7 and 9 who, on the face of it, are looking like the party that is obstructing the development. For instance, one of Tesco’s objections was that they would lose a ‘right to light’ through a tiny, grimy window at the back of their off-licence which opens onto the narrow lane at the back of the centre! Given the size of the window and the reality of the scale, complexity and importance of the overall development, we asked Tesco to not use this non-issue to impede progress of the redevelopment. We also specifically requested Tesco to show their bona fides by initiating the meeting between Dublin City Council, MM Capital and TESCO and actively work to solve their issues in practice and demonstrate some leadership and loyalty to this part of the city. (DCC have now written to all parties and the meeting is due to take place in mid August. The planned CPOing of a section of the car park by the NTA means that TESCO are now compelled to co-operate in these negotiations).

excellent Sweeneys off license/food hall unfortunately now taken over by OBriens chain

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Thanks Niconline for the update on the Tesco SC redevelopment. I thought Dunnes were bad for digging their heels in by not often playing ball with the greater good of the community but Tesco takes the biscuit here. Using a right to light defense for a little window in an off licence to hold up an entire development??!! yeah - when people are stocking up on booze, they want light filled surroundings to help them decide whether to purchase cans of Coors over Bud.....

I always hated the parking in front of that strip mall - it was unfriendly to pedestrians and cars alike - I'll be glad to see the back of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Not sure a seating area is appropriate though, it'll only encourage the wildlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭De Bhál

excellent Sweeneys off license/food hall unfortunately now taken over by OBriens chain

any links to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,754 ✭✭✭✭L1011

De Bhál wrote: »
    any links to this?

The other Sweeneys in Marino (same family) retweeting a comment about O'Briens taking over is the best I've seen:

https://twitter.com/winetastingire/status/1150541586364796928

De Bhál wrote: »
    any links to this?

just noticed yesterday when I went there to buy smtg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭De Bhál

that's a pity - at least it's still staying open. I wonder will they keep it as, foods and snack etc or will it be wall to wall beer and wine.

Also I wonder will the O'Brien's down the road across from the Bank Of Ireland on Fairfield road continue to operate. Always felt a bit pokey in there

Advertisement