Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phibsborough, Dublin 7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭morritty

No, the one on Mobhi road is closed now, drove past yesterday and saw a "we've moved" sign

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭niconline76

De Bhál wrote: »
    that's a pity - at least it's still staying open. I wonder will they keep it as, foods and snack etc or will it be wall to wall beer and wine.

Also I wonder will the O'Brien's down the road across from the Bank Of Ireland on Fairfield road continue to operate. Always felt a bit pokey in there

food counter/fridge that was in the middle of the shop gone already

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

excellent Sweeneys off license/food hall unfortunately now taken over by OBriens chain

Owner of Sweeneys retired..

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Wayne Gorsky

Zipppy wrote: »
    Owner of Sweeneys retired..

oh no, that's bad news...Sweeneys was a great booze shop, methinks one of the best in Dublin...

oh no, that's bad news...Sweeneys was a great booze shop, methinks one of the best in Dublin...

it was...always bought my wine there..we'll see how obriens fairs out...Sweeneys staff remain thank goodness..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

sweeneys was very expensive for beer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Sweeney's was expensive for more than beer .

Lovely off licence , great selection and great advice , and if you were looking for something in particular or to pair with a food a great spot.

but he could never be accused of being great value.

Martins in Fairview would be a great alternative and I always felt slightly better value , and only quick cycle away

Sweeney's was expensive for more than beer .

but he could never be accused of being great value.

if you want cheap go to Tesco or Fagans.
    Sweeneys was quality...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

That's a real shame about Sweeney's. They'd an absolutely huge selection of beer which I loved, used to go in every Xmas and just buy a big mix of whatever took my fancy. Going to miss it for sure. The O'Brien's down at Mobhi Rd was terrible though so hopefully when they move in there it'll be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Wayne Gorsky

sweeneys was very expensive for beer

true, but also had one of the best beer selections around, probably the best…

• Advertisement

So...any further word on whats happening at old State cinema site? Or the old bookies at Doyles corner?

I see the new Prospect Rd cafe opposite Hedigans is now open..any one been in?

Would anyone have a recommendation for a crèche in the area? I don't even know if they offer this but would only need it for mornings. I'll be avoiding Hyde&Seek anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Little learners on Hollybank Rd, put 2 of ours through them over the years, cannot praise them enough, absolutely brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭niconline76

So...any further word on whats happening at old State cinema site? Or the old bookies at Doyles corner?

I see the new Prospect Rd cafe opposite Hedigans is now open..any one been in?

Tried Prospect rd cafe’ on the go, seemed pretty ordinary stuff.... hot drinks’, sweets and some pre-made sandwiches. Not sure if they have a kitchen must check it out on a day off

Tried Prospect rd cafe’ on the go, seemed pretty ordinary stuff.... hot drinks’, sweets and some pre-made sandwiches. Not sure if they have a kitchen must check it out on a day off

I haven't been in but it looks like the most generic cafe on the planet from the outside.

Little learners on Hollybank Rd, put 2 of ours through them over the years, cannot praise them enough, absolutely brilliant.

Thanks, have had a look at their website and do they take young babies, like 9 months? Couldn't see information on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

No they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I haven't been in but it looks like the most generic cafe on the planet from the outside.

I had lunch in there

Pre-made bap type sandwich - arrived out on a plate with a handful of crisps
    Americano
    Choclate tartlet

€10

I was happy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭cgcsb

pretty similar to what was proposed in the cbc consultation + a tunnel, no doubt this will have to be cut and cover which means closing the NCR in sections. Interesting times.

In my view the NCR Should be bus only from the Mr Tubs luandry down to the Spar, with the road narrowed to one bus lane and one cycle lane on each side and a wider footpath. This is pretty much the only way the O bus is going to be reliable. Cars can go around Monk place or connaught st.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Savage cakes in coffee shop called Ecaterina cakes across from the Mater on Berkeley Road. Lovely little garden area out the back to have breakfast in the few days that we can.

cgcsb wrote: »
    pretty similar to what was proposed in the cbc consultation + a tunnel, no doubt this will have to be cut and cover which means closing the NCR in sections. Interesting times.

In my view the NCR Should be bus only from the Mr Tubs luandry down to the Spar, with the road narrowed to one bus lane and one cycle lane on each side and a wider footpath. This is pretty much the only way the O bus is going to be reliable. Cars can go around Monk place or connaught st.

Eh no thanks you .. enough traffic up Connaught St way as it is...
    spurious wrote: »
    Savage cakes in coffee shop called Ecaterina cakes across from the Mater on Berkeley Road. Lovely little garden area out the back to have breakfast in the few days that we can.

Thanks for update...must pop over for a look. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Eh no thanks you .. enough traffic up Connaught St way as it is...

There'd be less traffic on Connaught st and indeed across the north inner city if the NCR was bus only through phibsboro. In such a scenario, the people insisting on bringing their cars into the City from the Blanchardstown area would want to be seriously commited and have 5 spare hours per day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Looks like they are getting ready to knock/dismantle the Hendron building, if anyone wants to see quite a unique landmark go.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tropple

Looks like they are getting ready to knock/dismantle the Hendron building, if anyone wants to see quite a unique landmark go.

Is there something planned in it's place?

tropple wrote: »
    Is there something planned in it's place?

I'm guessing a(nother) hotel or student accommodation, they seem to be the only things we can build.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,754 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The last active permission for that site expired in 2014 (for apartments) as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I'm guessing a(nother) hotel or student accommodation, they seem to be the only things we can build.

maybe a giant bookies or nail salon

it's an iconic building.. even if it is ugly...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

it's an iconic building.. even if it is ugly...

Yes, Hendrons has that 1940s style or maybe even an Art Deco look. It's a pity it couldn't be re-imagined and converted into some original loft style apartments with the high ceiling floors.

https://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/01/89/67/1896745_5dbd49ad.jpg

Advertisement