Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phibsborough, Dublin 7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭De Bhál

any old pics of it in it's heyday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

ongarboy wrote:
    Yes, Hendrons has that 1940s style or maybe even an Art Deco look. It's a pity it couldn't be re-imagined and converted into some original loft style apartments with the high ceiling floors.

crane is gone...prob renovations..

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

spurious wrote: »
    Savage cakes in coffee shop called Ecaterina cakes across from the Mater on Berkeley Road. Lovely little garden area out the back to have breakfast in the few days that we can.

Yes fully agree with this, it’s a lovely spot and the rear garden (seats about 8 max) is great. Thanks for the recommendation!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

No updates on the scaffolding at the corner yet? Couldn't see any indications what it's gonna be.

Also, if anyone's into their coffee spots, while Two Boys Brew is always jam packed out the door (it's nice, but not sure why it's always that mental!) if ye go a bit further up.. there's Legit Coffee Co and it's just as good IMO, noticed there's nowhere near as much crowds! Does a decent brunch!

Loretta's seems great but was v pricey last time I was there!

Loving life in Phibsboro at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭petejmk

Dublin Inquirer have the NTA's revised designs for Phibsborough for Bus Connects here if anyone else is like me and doesn't like the bus connects site. https://dublininquirer.com/2019/07/31/in-phibsboro-campaigners-are-optimistic-about-new-plans-for-townscape

Also, there's a new barbers going in on NCR in the premises Centz had for a short time. Menspire is the name. Renovations are ongoing. They have a place ok Aungier St already. Looks a step up from some of the other barbers around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭coco7

Shlippery wrote: »
    fyi, Loretta’s do a local’s menu, all evening Wednesday/Thursday and 5pm-6:30pm on Friday/Saturday. It’s good value with a 2 course for €25 and 3 course for €29 (and an option to add on a glass of wine/beer for €4).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Shlippery wrote: »
    No updates on the scaffolding at the corner yet? Couldn't see any indications what it's gonna be.

Also, if anyone's into their coffee spots, while Two Boys Brew is always jam packed out the door (it's nice, but not sure why it's always that mental!) if ye go a bit further up.. there's Legit Coffee Co and it's just as good IMO, noticed there's nowhere near as much crowds! Does a decent brunch!

Loving life in Phibsboro at the moment...

I asked one of the staff in the Gents of Dublin barber about the scaffolding, he thinks it's just repairs on the roof and nothing is actually going in which is a real pity. A Starbucks was denied permission to go in apparently.

Agree on Legit, it's very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭morritty

I heard Starbucks pulled out due to Insomnia not lasting in the area. The competition with Two boys, Woodstock and the new place near the phtography place at the corner of Berkeley road was too much for Insomnia, so Starbucks wasn't bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Well theres been nothing recently granted for the Hendron site that I can find.

Last Planning application was from 2008 and was granted permission
    File No. 3938/08

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭niconline76

in case any1 is interested a local cause worth supporting :)

http://chng.it/2nzqX5DHKT

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

What is the latest with the shopping Centre? Is the row between the developers and Tesco still going on?

It so badly needs redevelopment and if this stand off continues much longer - with the property market reaching peak cycle and Brexit on the horizon - the window of opportunity for this redevelopment could be lost for many years.

JupiterKid wrote:
    What is the latest with the shopping Centre? Is the row between the developers and Tesco still going on?

I think the latest is the NTA is going to CPO some of the shopping centre car Park for Bus Connects. This changes the game for Tesco who will have to do deliveries at rear rather than front leaving way open for redevelopment..
    Now for funding.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

petejmk wrote: »
    Dublin Inquirer have the NTA's revised designs for Phibsborough for Bus Connects here if anyone else is like me and doesn't like the bus connects site. https://dublininquirer.com/2019/07/31/in-phibsboro-campaigners-are-optimistic-about-new-plans-for-townscape

Im surprised the plans in that link do not address the bottle neck right outside McDonalds. They are on about CPOing Tescos car park under BusConnects but no mention at all of the pinch point on the other side of the road. If BC is to work properly and actually get people out of their cars they really need to CPO some of McDonalds and maybe a couple of the other units next to it so that theres enough space for a continous unhindered bus lane through that junction.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Im surprised the plans in that link do not address the bottle neck right outside McDonalds. They are on about CPOing Tescos car park under BusConnects but no mention at all of the pinch point on the other side of the road. If BC is to work properly and actually get people out of their cars they really need to CPO some of McDonalds and maybe a couple of the other units next to it so that theres enough space for a continous unhindered bus lane through that junction.

CPOing the Tesco car park provides space for a bus lane on both sides of the road. The issue is at the junction near Four Star Pizza. It can be solved with a bus priority signal. There are dozens of them proposed in the plan so it shouldn't take much to put one there. Kinda surprised that it's not labelled there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I had brunch in Loretta's recently, I thought it was lovely and would definitely go back, but the place was very very quiet. I hope it's doing some decent business, would be a shame if it didn't last.

I had brunch in Loretta's recently, I thought it was lovely and would definitely go back, but the place was very very quiet. I hope it's doing some decent business, would be a shame if it didn't last.

I think there are issues with the limited menu, it's v pricey and cold draught throughout..we've been twice..not intending going back...shame really..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ate it in once and was nice but can echo what others say about the prices, its more city center prices rather than local restaurant you might go to once a fortnight prices. There is a lot of high earners in Phibsboro who can afford it but Id imagine many are hindered by new mortgages, creches and babysitting costs.

Id wonder if the situation at Loretas is part of the reason why nothing has gone into the bookies across the road. Other restaurateurs have probably looked at the site and at business in Loretas and decided its too big a risk right now for such a large premises.

Muahahaha wrote:
    Id wonder if the situation at Loretas is part of the reason why nothing has gone into the bookies across the road. Other restaurateurs have probably looked at the site and at business in Loretas and decided its too big a risk right now for such a large premises.

I still think the old bookies would be perfect for s Fallon n Byrnes / Dollard n co type deli...it would be an excellent addition to the area..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Love loretta's but I see it as more formal dining and that's a different business model than the casual dining places with a large throughput of customers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Am I the only one who thinks that bookies at Doyle's Corner is just a tiny unit? Looking at Street view again confirms it. It's a much smaller retail unit than the businesses on the other 3 corners yet people here have proposed it becomes a hotel or food hall. It's simply too small for anything other than a coffee shop at most in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Had breakfast in Legit at the weekend, it was really good! We were going anyway, but as we passed Two Boys Brew the queue was out the door and down the road a bit. We got to Legit and while it was almost full, they could fit another couple in. The food was delicious and, like 2BB, they are coffee connoisseurs - if that's important to you - so their filter coffee and overall Barista skills were on the upper scale. I really can't see any difference between them and 2BB so not sure why more people tend to flock to 2BB.

One issue which was a bit of a let down was the service. Overall the staff were great but they didn't seem to offer table service so we ordered before we sat down and if we wanted anything else we had to go up and order it, any pay for it, and then wait for them to bring it down. It's not the end of the world but when you have to leave your seat to order another coffee, you then have to queue up again with all newcomers and it was a bit of a pain. I'll definitely be back though.

ongarboy wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks that bookies at Doyle's Corner is just a tiny unit? Looking at Street view again confirms it. It's a much smaller retail unit than the businesses on the other 3 corners yet people here have proposed it becomes a hotel or food hall. It's simply too small for anything other than a coffee shop at most in my opinion.

It is rather small but I'm thinking a food hall over 2/3 floors....
    Mind you it will probably sit idle for years yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭niconline76

there's a "for sale/commercial investment" sign at Eddie Rockets' corner saying "tenants won't be affected" or smtg like that - any1 knows more? tnx

https://www.myhome.ie/commercial/brochure/unit-16-phisborough-shopping-centre-phibsborough-dublin-7-dublin/4353672

It's Eddie Rockets. Listing says tenant currently in a 15 year lease that started in 2016.

So is it the lease on Eddie Rockets that is up for grabs, or the unit itself?

The unit. Says tenant is unaffected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

Zipppy wrote: »

I think there are issues with the limited menu, it's v pricey and cold draught throughout..we've been twice..not intending going back...shame really..
    I love the place, menu isn't extensive but they could solve that if they moved to the 'freezer/microwave' model.
    Problem may be their insistence on using fresh ingredients, they might be better off buying in factory made dishes instead of doing everything from scratch.
    I don't find them dear, and I like that you can watch it all happening. I hope it survives too, there's nothing else of that standard on the north side of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

eastwest wrote: »
    I love the place, menu isn't extensive but they could solve that if they moved to the 'freezer/microwave' model.
    Problem may be their insistence on using fresh ingredients, they might be better off buying in factory made dishes instead of doing everything from scratch.
    I don't find them dear, and I like that you can watch it all happening. I hope it survives too, there's nothing else of that standard on the north side of the city.

The menu looks interesting there, must give the local's menu a try soon.

However, just looking at the brunch menu, 16e for the big breakfast, add a coffee and a tip and your at nearly 20 quid for a fry up!
    In comparison, we often go to the Pot Bellied Pig in Rathmines and it's e13 for the delicious 'Whole hog' including a coffee.
    The sadly departed Cotto on prussia st was around 12 for their equivalent full irish which was excellent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭cgcsb

It's a bit pricey but it's a fancier place than the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

cgcsb wrote: »
    It's a bit pricey but it's a fancier place than the rest.

ah I know, they might be better doing a sunday lunch menu for families in addition to the brunch.

Advertisement