Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phibsborough, Dublin 7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

Why though? To keep them happy when they're playing techno music in the beer garden till all hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

hankless wrote: »
    Why though? To keep them happy when they're playing techno music in the beer garden till all hours?

I find that a midnight tennis match is wonderfully complimented by techno music, but each to their own.. I remember a couple of years back the porterhouse changed the name and exterior for a weekend to tie in with the Springsteen concerts in Croker. Can't remember what they called it. I'm off now to google that, it'll irritate me for the evening otherwise
    Edit: The E Street Inn.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pmcc1

Putting together a free, regular Lego event for kids in the new Phizzfest space beside the Shopping Centre.
    Need ~20kg of Lego. Can anyone offer their unused Lego?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Not quite phibsboro but I had a few drinks in Bonobo on Saturday, really liked the place.

Bonobo is a great bar. Great pizzas, and a really nice beer garden on a sunny day too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭De Bhál

pmcc1 wrote: »
    Putting together a free, regular Lego event for kids in the new Phizzfest space beside the Shopping Centre.
    Need ~20kg of Lego. Can anyone offer their unused Lego?

I don't have any Lego to offer but am interested in bringing a few kids to this. Any online info about it or can you tell me more?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pmcc1

Nice to see the interest! Still a few weeks preparations to get done. Will send you link when we're set

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

If I can persuade my teenager that he doesn't use or need his lego collection anymore I'll be in touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

What do we reckon is the best barber around? Tried G.O.D. last time but wasn't blown away.

I went to the Chop Shop (€12) opposite Eddie Rockets for years. Rob was brilliant, but he has since let out the shop to new lads and i haven't gone back. I also went to G.O.D (€20?) and wasn't won over.

I then done a few trips to The Barber Shop (€10) next door to Dr.Quirkey's and thought he was good. A really, really nice man too.

Since then I've been going to Sam's Barbers (€18) beside the Tesco on Prussia Street, on the way into Stoneybatter. Have been going for months and no intentions of stopping.

There's a brand new place after opening opposite Mr.Tubs dry cleaners, Menspire, which looks very up market. A bit too upmarket for Phibsboro. They don't call their staff barbers, they call them stylists, and a cut starts at €27 :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

After a long search I settled on the barbers at Harts corner (opposite Dalcassian Downs) a couple of years ago. €10 for a dry cut and he really takes his time, does a great job.

There's a new barbers/cafe adjoining the lidl and pH Ross premises at Hanlons corner. No idea how much but I'd say towards the higher side price wise considering the decor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

€10 for a dry cut and he really takes his time, does a great job.

Taking his time as a positive !
    We have different ideas on what makes a good hair cut !

I go to the guy on fausagh avenue beside the Oasis , he is quick , doesn't talk and has sport of some kind on a TV you can watch for the short while your in his chair

I see it as a definite positive. I like to feel I get value for my money and well treated, not just production - lined through. No offence, but let's hope I don't meet you through your chosen profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,756 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I got my hair cut during the length of one track on the radio last time and that's the way I like it. Taking a long time suggests ineptitude to me

A quality haircut will need some time. I had one yesterday in town and was at least 25 mins, no chat except when they asked me what I wanted and how I wanted my locks and neck done. A quick 5 min job suggests a buzz cut, a baldie trim or slap-dash to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 scot

Not about Phibsborough but nearby Cabra. Is St Attracta Rd a safe place to live? My daughter is looking at a room there

scot wrote: »
    Not about Phibsborough but nearby Cabra. Is St Attracta Rd a safe place to live? My daughter is looking at a room there

I used to live there. It's got a rough element and there's been some shootings, one just recently.

I went to Gents of Dublin again in the end, got a different guy to last time, I was fairly happy.

This article came up in my Twitter feed about an initiative in Stoneybatter, but they use a photo of what I'm fairly sure is Shandon in Phibsborough on it. The cheek!

https://lovindublin.com/lifestyle/a-new-greening-of-stoneybatter-initiative-has-been-announced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

King barber in north king st is excellent but always has a huge queue.

St attracts rd is grand - id a friend live there and no bothers

This article came up in my Twitter feed about an initiative in Stoneybatter, but they use a photo of what I'm fairly sure is Shandon in Phibsborough on it. The cheek!

https://lovindublin.com/lifestyle/a-new-greening-of-stoneybatter-initiative-has-been-announced

That could be rathdown Rd.

Just had a look on maps, you're 100% right, it's Shandon!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 scot

Sinus pain wrote: »
    King barber in north king st is excellent but always has a huge queue.

St attracts rd is grand - id a friend live there and no bothers

Thanks mate. Quite daunting for her in new city and not knowing anybody or any of the areas. People in her work talking her out of taking anything in the north but the St Attracta seems to be handy for the tram to work. She took a walk down to phibsborough today and liked the area

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

scot wrote: »

St Attracta rd is fine..nice area.
    We're in Phibsboro but St Attracta is only a stone's throw (not literally:)) away..
    I'd be happy for my daughter to live there..
    It's also so handy for Phibsboro, luas, town etc

Was in Loretta's on Saturday night about 7pm. Was 75% full which is good to see. I had the steak and it was one of the nicest steaks I've had in a long, long time. Delicious :p

I wouldn't say Attracta Road is a nice area at all.

hankless wrote: »
    Was in Loretta's on Saturday night about 7pm. Was 75% full which is good to see. I had the steak and it was one of the nicest steaks I've had in a long, long time. Delicious :p

Was it cold there ?

I wouldn't say Attracta Road is a nice area at all.

May I ask what you base your assessment on?

• Advertisement

Zipppy wrote: »
    May I ask what you base your assessment on?

Maybe the three shootings over the last few years? Thankfully no one hurt. I lived there for 6/7 years and am a big bloke and not easily intimidated but the wanton disregard for peoples property and teenagers on scramblers were off-putting.
    Also had a lawnmower stolen and front door damaged and the front pier knocked down by a joyrider. When it came time to move in with the missus she wouldn't stay there, I didn't need much convincing. But sure yer man's mate lived there, its grand

Advertisement