Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phibsborough, Dublin 7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Zipppy wrote: »
    May I ask what you base your assessment on?

I know the area well. It's a bit of a kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

sweetie wrote: »
    Maybe the three shootings over the last few years? Thankfully no one hurt. I lived there for 6/7 years and am a big bloke and not easily intimidated but the wanton disregard for peoples property and teenagers on scramblers were off-putting.
    Also had a lawnmower stolen and front door damaged and the front pier knocked down by a joyrider. When it came time to move in with the missus she wouldn't stay there, I didn't need much convincing. But sure yer man's mate lived there, its grand

I take your point, or rather points :)
    Doesn't sound great so...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I take your point, or rather points :)
    Doesn't sound great so...

I'd expect most people would be fine but a young girl moving to the city for their first job should be aware of the negatives too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

I'd expect most people would be fine but a young girl moving to the city for their first job should be aware of the negatives too.

You're dead right...
    I'm shocked that it's so bad there...maybe out west I'd have thought rough...but hey..
    Prob best to steer clear..

• Registered Users Posts: 5 scot

Thanks for all your replies re St attracts guys. She's took it but on short term lease. Gives her a chance to look elsewhere longer term. Hopefully she'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tropple

Seems to be a good bit of commercial activity happening around the Mountjoy St / Berkeley Rd area lately. An Oige up for sale, and the building beside Spar, and the derelict building beside the Black Church have gone sale agreed.

Will be interesting to see what is planned, although I wouldn't be surprised if it's more student housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

Was it cold there ?

Coldness was not something I or my partner experienced, or discussed. So, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Anybody hear of Roosters Piri Piri closing down in Cabra? It's not long there but saw someone post on Instagram that it's closed or is closing. I thought it was a great and healthier alternative to the usual take aways in the area. Will be a pity if true.
    scot wrote: »
    Not about Phibsborough but nearby Cabra. Is St Attracta Rd a safe place to live? My daughter is looking at a room there
    scot wrote: »
    Thanks for all your replies re St attracts guys. She's took it but on short term lease. Gives her a chance to look elsewhere longer term. Hopefully she'll be fine.

Myself and my fiancé live on Attracta road and it's fine. Being right beside the Luas is very handy for getting in and around town. Yes, there have been two recent drive by shootings in the last year that were apparently targeted at specific houses. It's obviously not nice to have nearby but I would be more worried if I heard of muggings or assaults in the area. It's a very long and windy road overall with over 300 houses. The road is on the edge of the boundary for Mounjoy Garda station and they patrol it regularly enough since it's not in the Cabra Garda station's jurisdiction. My biggest bug bear with the road to be honest is when I can't get parking outside my house, the road is very tight and it can get tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭aoifeisabelle

Anybody hear of Roosters Piri Piri closing down in Cabra? It's not long there but saw someone post on Instagram that it's closed or is closing. I thought it was a great and healthier alternative to the usual take aways in the area. Will be a pity if true.

Myself and my fiancé live on Attracta road and it's fine. Being right beside the Luas is very handy for getting in and around town. Yes, there have been two recent drive by shootings in the last year that were apparently targeted at specific houses. It's obviously not nice to have nearby but I would be more worried if I heard of muggings or assaults in the area. It's a very long and windy road overall with over 300 houses. The road is on the edge of the boundary for Mounjoy Garda station and they patrol it regularly enough since it's not in the Cabra Garda station's jurisdiction. My biggest bug bear with the road to be honest is when I can't get parking outside my house, the road is very tight and it can get tricky.

I was in Roosters last night. It's rebranded and is now Kuku and Co. It's basically the same menu with a few tweaks! Definitely not closing down at the minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I was in Roosters last night. It's rebranded and is now Kuku and Co. It's basically the same menu with a few tweaks! Definitely not closing down at the minute!

I spoke to someone from there in the meantime and they told me of the said e menu will be changing away from the current Roosters one. Big pity as I’ve loved anything I tried there. Wonder what happened to the Roosters brand there, I presume the numbers weren’t doing it for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I spoke to someone from there in the meantime and they told me of the said e menu will be changing away from the current Roosters one. Big pity as I’ve loved anything I tried there. Wonder what happened to the Roosters brand there, I presume the numbers weren’t doing it for them.

Was it not just a poor nandos impersonator ?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭aoifeisabelle

Was it not just a poor nandos impersonator ?

I have to say, I really liked it. I thought it was better than Nandos TBH!

Was it as cheeky?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

There's a new barbers/cafe adjoining the lidl and pH Ross premises at Hanlons corner. No idea how much but I'd say towards the higher side price wise considering the decor.

Market Barbers it's called - prices https://www.marketbarbers.com/cabra/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Apparently there was a lost swan on Leinster St earlier on today. Hope it's OK!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭coco7

Passed by there earlier. Looks to be reopening as a pizza, pasta, grill called Nero XVII. From the window seem like it will be a table service offering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

This article came up in my Twitter feed about an initiative in Stoneybatter, but they use a photo of what I'm fairly sure is Shandon in Phibsborough on it. The cheek!

https://lovindublin.com/lifestyle/a-new-greening-of-stoneybatter-initiative-has-been-announced

top of Shandon park road, beautiful place, spoiled by Pascal Donohoe living there :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

agreed, grand place to live. Yes maybe 1 or 2 shady characters knocking about (drugs related) but i doubt they would have any interest in anything else. There was always teenagers knocking about but they are harmless. long road indeed but you have 2 options for the luas,depending on what end of the road your on. cabra or boombridge
    Compared to years ago, it is grand, she'll be fine:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

agreed, grand place to live. Yes maybe 1 or 2 shady characters knocking about (drugs related) but i doubt they would have any interest in anything else. There was always teenagers knocking about but they are harmless. long road indeed but you have 2 options for the luas,depending on what end of the road your on. cabra or boombridge
    Compared to years ago, it is grand, she'll be fine:)

While a long road , its essentially a big U so no matter which end you live Cabra Luas is nearly 2km closer than boombridge.

I lived on attracta for years , its grand , avoid corner houses and lock your car and you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭niconline76

the blue double decker bus and wooden fence they were setting up outside the new Racket/Bernard S. has disappeared, wonder what's the story with it (permissions maybe?!)

• Advertisement

Are you sure the bus hasn't gone around into the old beer garden? I can't imagine they were planning on selling pizzas out the front, it's most likely a public space.

hopefully that's the case, their pizza is decent enough if i remember well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭morritty

top of Shandon park road, beautiful place, spoiled by Pascal Donohoe living there :pac:

It's actually Shandon drive ;) you can see the cut de sac at the end.

the blue double decker bus and wooden fence they were setting up outside the new Racket/Bernard S. has disappeared, wonder what's the story with it (permissions maybe?!)
    hankless wrote: »
    Are you sure the bus hasn't gone around into the old beer garden? I can't imagine they were planning on selling pizzas out the front, it's most likely a public space.

The Big Blue Bus (as it's actually known) posted on Instragram it will be spending the winter in Wicklow as they need Planning Permission to have it in the new location.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭petejmk

The Big Blue Bus (as it's actually known) posted on Instragram it will be spending the winter in Wicklow as they need Planning Permission to have it in the new location.

Good to hear! Looked awful out the front even before the hoarding was put up

Is it open now or closed during renovations?

petejmk wrote: »
    Good to hear! Looked awful out the front even before the hoarding was put up

so they just presumed ‘twas ok to park it outside, build some hoarding and off you go ...
    😳

hankless wrote: »
    Is it open now or closed during renovations?

supposed to reopen this wknd

Due to open at 4pm today including EatYard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

The Bernard Shaw have dropped a clanger on Instagram. Opening day, posting a meme basically calling northsiders "scumbags" and only the Bernard Shaw can turn them into people of class. They then deleted the meme.

Pretentious, classist twats would be the only way to describe them.

Advertisement