Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phibsborough, Dublin 7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

hankless wrote: »
    Does anyone know anything about Tony Murray Displays? It's been derelict for years and there's no sale/let sign outside. It's a great size and now, unfortunately, an eyesore.

Yes I remember it closing and nought since...

But sure what could go in to it? Another cafe...surely not?

On another note I see Lorettas closed from christmas till 12 Feb for a family bereavement...thats a long closed time...

There was builders in the old Gala shop the other day and also builders looking at the old + golf down near monck place....
    and finally :) looks like Martin and Moran opposite teh Back Page (aka the Red windmill :) ) looks closed...

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

Yeah, maybe we have too many cafés, but you can't get a decent cup of coffee after 4pm, and there's queues coming out of Two Boys Brew every Saturday and Sunday morning, so maybe we haven't! The Woodstock is the only non-pub place to go in the evening, so I think a later opening café could do well.

The Golf Shop is a very big space, I was in it not long before it closed. I was always surprised that a golf shop did so well there but he had no competition for miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pmcc1

Does anyone know anything about Tony Murray Displays? It's been derelict for years and there's no sale/let sign outside. It's a great size and now, unfortunately, an eyesore.

Just looking at the Tony Murray site on the satellite view. It connects with the State Cinema & the row of five shops that were all vacated for sale last year. I bet you all £1m that it will be one of the sites sold in that bundle. If a big hotel chain really are looking at doing a serious development, having frontage on Phibs Rd & NCR would be a real boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tropple

On the subject of development, I see the An Oige site sold fairly quickly, and the building a few doors down on Mountjoy St (beside Spar, I think it was previously a motorbike shop) has also sold.

Any rumours on what's planned there?

There is a co-living development planned down the street beside the Black Church. I know people don't like them, but it seems like a good location given it's proximity to the Mater / Rotunda / TU.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭niconline76

and the burrito bar planning notice vanished at the Solicitors beside Spar?

How come nothing ever happens for those retail/office spaces between Camille and Rua Pizza? is it because of NAMA?! :confused:

• Advertisement

How come nothing ever happens for those retail/office spaces between Camille and Rua Pizza? is it because of NAMA?! :confused:

But what would you suggest goes there?

What would we all like to see in phizz?

The planners held off giving permission until the front of the proposed shop is re-designed to be more Victorian. Good on them!
    (I look forward to enjoying my steam-powered phibsburrito served in a top hat)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Zipppy wrote: »
    What would we all like to see in phizz?
    I know it doesn't answer your question but, less cars wouls be great - village is ruined with traffic. I guess it is what it is as some major roads converge there.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tropple

De Bhál wrote: »
    I know it doesn't answer your question but, less cars wouls be great - village is ruined with traffic. I guess it is what it is as some major roads converge there.

The Bus Connects plan will hopefully address some of this

https://dublininquirer.com/2019/07/31/in-phibsboro-campaigners-are-optimistic-about-new-plans-for-townscape

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

I'd also like to see less vehicles and, more importantly, less vehicles breaking the lights at Doyle's Corner.

I'm also not a fan of people parking their cars along Loretta's/Kennedy's/Rothar etc-etc on Sundays. They completely block the cycle lanes meaning cyclists have to move out into traffic. Absolutely no need for it. There should be no roadside parking anywhere in the village, apart from the areas like outside Boots/Dealz where space is designated.

• Advertisement

I'd also like to see less vehicles and, more importantly, less vehicles breaking the lights at Doyle's Corner.

I'm also not a fan of people parking their cars along Loretta's/Kennedy's/Rothar etc-etc on Sundays. They completely block the cycle lanes meaning cyclists have to move out into traffic. Absolutely no need for it. There should be no roadside parking anywhere in the village, apart from the areas like outside Boots/Dealz where space is designated.

My thoughts exactly...

The Guards are down at the shopping centre having two hours of community engagement.
    I would like to ask them why every day isn’t community engagement day. And why they won’t walk around approach-ably in the community instead of hiding in their cars.
    https://twitter.com/gardainfo/status/1223201794844774400

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I saw a Garda walking down the canal towards Shandon the other day, was fairly surprised to see it. Probably the exception that proves the rule.

I saw a Garda walking down the canal towards Shandon the other day, was fairly surprised to see it. Probably the exception that proves the rule.

They are on an election footing.
    There are loads of them to be seen on the beat all over the city these past two weeks. It all stops on Feb 8th though.

pmcc1 wrote: »
    The Guards are down at the shopping centre having two hours of community engagement.
    I would like to ask them why every day isn’t community engagement day. And why they won’t walk around approach-ably in the community instead of hiding in their cars.
    https://twitter.com/gardainfo/status/1223201794844774400

Can someone ask them to police Doyles corner and stop all the red light breaking...
    and also to start prosecuting all the cyclists with no lights ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Wondering about co-working "desks for rent" space around the villige. New work gig requires me to work from home most of the time, and would love somewhere very close to home [and not too spendy] to escape few hours a day?

[I know there are loads around town, and Talent Garden in DCU - just wondering if anyone knew of any around D7 [or general area].

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Is there any plans for the redevelopment of the Old Mill bakery, on the canal?
    I see they've got permission to demolish, but can't see anything about a grant of permission to build on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

Had a great brunch in Lorettas at the weekend. I thought it was very tasty food. Slightly more expensive than the back page where we would occasionally go to. Also I thought the kids brunch for 8 quid was great value. It was busy too which was great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

surball wrote: »
    Had a great brunch in Lorettas at the weekend. I thought it was very tasty food. Slightly more expensive than the back page where we would occasionally go to. Also I thought the kids brunch for 8 quid was great value. It was busy too which was great to see.
    I was there the previous sunday, same story. Really good food and underpriced if anything given the quality. They make everything from scratch, right in front of you.
    I had a burger for 14 euro, but it was far removed from the typical factory burger you get in most places. It was delicious!
    The previous sunday I had the burger (I like a nice burgerðŸ˜) in Kilronan castle in Roscommon, and it was 17 euro, but the Lorettas one is better, way better.
    Lorettas is a high quality restaurant but it is maybe competing with mainstream places. They might be better lowering the standard a bit, using prepared food from suppliers like a lot of places do, and maybe taking a euro off everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

we went to Kennedy's beside Lorettas on Sunday place was empty at 1pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Phibsbroski

Noticed a lot of work going on inside the old Golf Shop across from The Back Page the last few days.. Anyone know what's happening there?

And looks like there's a Mexican place moving in to where Smokin Bones was also.. Looking forward to that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Noticed a lot of work going on inside the old Golf Shop across from The Back Page the last few days.. Anyone know what's happening there?

And looks like there's a Mexican place moving in to where Smokin Bones was also.. Looking forward to that

every business that goes into that unit fails , going back 30 years nothing seems to be able to make it work.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 pow_pow

we went to Kennedy's beside Lorettas on Sunday place was empty at 1pm

Went on Sunday at about 3:15 - there were two tables free inside, I didn't see out the back. We go regularly on Sundays. I've seen it sparse but it's usually busy. The food is always lovely but I'd like to see some new options on the menu as it hasn't changed at all since it opened.

every business that goes into that unit fails , going back 30 years nothing seems to be able to make it work.

What kind of lease would they get on that now considering it seems like it can't be long until it's demolished in favour of a new development?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Must be the power of the kung fu buffet!!
    (how does that place stay going or is it actually alright?)
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭morritty

Shlippery wrote: »
    Must be the power of the kung fu buffet!!
    (how does that place stay going or is it actually alright?)
    :pac:
    First and only time I ate there, I puked my ring up all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

surball wrote: »
    eastwest wrote: »
    I was there the previous sunday, same story. Really good food and underpriced if anything given the quality. They make everything from scratch, right in front of you.
    I had a burger for 14 euro, but it was far removed from the typical factory burger you get in most places. It was delicious!
    The previous sunday I had the burger (I like a nice burgerðŸ˜) in Kilronan castle in Roscommon, and it was 17 euro, but the Lorettas one is better, way better.
    Lorettas is a high quality restaurant but it is maybe competing with mainstream places. They might be better lowering the standard a bit, using prepared food from suppliers like a lot of places do, and maybe taking a euro off everything.

Have been in twice for brunch and it has been really good, but unfortunately both times was very quiet. I really hope they get enough local support to keep going. I'll head again ASAP once this mess is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Saw Legit Coffee Co. seems to have changed names/menu? Now Drury coffee?

Anyone know what's the story there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Legit has gone. Taken over by others.

pmcc1 wrote: »
    Just looking at the Tony Murray site on the satellite view. It connects with the State Cinema & the row of five shops that were all vacated for sale last year. I bet you all £1m that it will be one of the sites sold in that bundle. If a big hotel chain really are looking at doing a serious development, having frontage on Phibs Rd & NCR would be a real boost.

Tony Murray Displays for sale apparently.
    I'd be uneasy with more big student accommodation in Phibs, but these plans may date from the Before Time... (ie. before last Thursday.)
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/d7-site-primed-for-student-or-rental-accomodation-at-1-3m-1.4204058

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 pow_pow

It appears to be a mattress shop. Best of luck to them, not an ideal time to be opening a new business.

Advertisement