Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phibsborough, Dublin 7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

"Build homes people can buy/afford and keep.."

I saw that tweet, and my first thought was that Bang Bang are happy to charge 8/9 quid for a brunch burger [aka Bacon and Egg roll!!] but on the other side are fighting for the common man :)

We need places for folks to live - the government are not doing ****, and thus private companies doing it are all that we have right now. That mill is an eye sore, and its a great spot for an apartment development.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

"Build homes people can buy/afford and keep.."

I saw that tweet, and my first thought was that Bang Bang are happy to charge 8/9 quid for a brunch burger [aka Bacon and Egg roll!!] but on the other side are fighting for the common man :)

We need places for folks to live - the government are not doing ****, and thus private companies doing it are all that we have right now. That mill is an eye sore, and its a great spot for an apartment development.

They pay above the living wage, though, so I guess they need to charge accordingly.

I have mixed views about the development. No real problems with it going where it's planned but the proposed rents are eye watering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

But if people are willing to pay that then that means more housing for others and hence less pressure on rent and lower rent in the long run. If people don't pay what their asking then they will have to lower them. I don't see the problem really. No one is forced to rent them but its more property available.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 deep_dish

I think it's that these are not long-term options for people that want to house or raise a family in the area. We are not building enough of these types of dwellings in the city. With almost all recent big builds of this nature, if they're not student accommodation they are small flats which will be lease only, forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

smeal wrote: »
    Great to see the new Filo café doing well. Queues are out the door most lunch times.

Good coffee and lovely pastries although the latter are perhaps a bit over priced.

Reckon they're linked to Yeeros next door? They seem to share the Greek theme - great to see them do well though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

aquinn wrote: »
    Yes, great to see and seem to have a lovely selection. My main issue though is the queue as it means going out on to the road to avoid people. Would be great if they could queue around the corner so then I don't get hit by a bus or taxi. Road surface there shocking also.

The queue thing there is crazy especially at that junction. It was mobbed last Sunday, surely people can organise themselves a bit better. On the flip side I'm glad it's doing well.

I didn't realise the Old Mill was lease only, kinda gutted to read it tbh. I had thought it would be a nice place that we could potentially buy into because we love the location. Guess not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I didn't realise the Old Mill was lease only, kinda gutted to read it tbh. I had thought it would be a nice place that we could potentially buy into because we love the location. Guess not.
    Live down the road from it, and have had two things in the door now; folks with a "object to everything" approach clearly IMHO; I know one of the people is active in local SF and has lead objections to several building items over last few years [Not NIMBY's but BANANA's "Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere]-

- but one of the things they are lobbying to get people to object over is the buy to let approach - so it might get turned around in planning. You never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Live down the road from it, and have had two things in the door now; folks with a "object to everything" approach clearly IMHO; I know one of the people is active in local SF and has lead objections to several building items over last few years [Not NIMBY's but BANANA's "Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere]-

- but one of the things they are lobbying to get people to object over is the buy to let approach - so it might get turned around in planning. You never know.

They're objecting to some nonsense stuff as well, like the width of the entrance to the car park. Why on earth would anyone in the local area care about that? BANANAs is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭petejmk

They're objecting to some nonsense stuff as well, like the width of the entrance to the car park. Why on earth would anyone in the local area care about that? BANANAs is right.

Live very close and the residents aren't opposed to the development of the site; just inappropriate development. This is one of only two sites listed in the Dublin City Development Plan where specific building heights are listed to take account of the character of the surrounding area. The proposed height exceeds that included in the development plan.

The other site is the old Smurfit grounds on Botanic Road. A SHD was also proposed for there and one of the grounds for rejection by ABP was the building height exceeding the development plan limit.

As for the width of the entrance to the car park, the issue outlined by residents in their document is that it's a single lane entrance already being by another adjacent development. No pedestrian or cycle path included for a development which will be primarily accessed by pedestrians and cyclists given the limited parking available within the proposed development.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Carapop

Hi all, can anyone tell me about this area please? I've always lived south of the liffey but considering buying north...would love some expertise input! All guidance appreciated

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/apartment-apartment-32-wellington-court-dublin-7/2541501

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Carapop wrote: »
    Hi all, can anyone tell me about this area please? I've always lived south of the liffey but considering buying north...would love some expertise input! All guidance appreciated

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/apartment-apartment-32-wellington-court-dublin-7/2541501

Grand. Buildings, buses, people. Chipper or two. Pubs. The usual. Wet when it rains.

Any specific questions...?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Jackben75

Carapop wrote: »
    Hi all, can anyone tell me about this area please? I've always lived south of the liffey but considering buying north...would love some expertise input! All

This is right on the fringes of Phibsboro, part has improved over the years but i wouldn't buy in this area, i don't class it as really Phibsboro myself and i grew up in Phibsboro. Ok for a single person or couple with no kids, i guess

deep_dish wrote: »
    That is a lovely house, and Shandon is a lovely area, but renovations or not that is a crazy price for a home in Phibsboro.

Rubbish, have you been looking at property prices in general? This is not a crazy price, beautiful part of Phibsboro

Also, this may be Pascal Donohoes house, certainly the same part of the road his on, heard he was considering moving, 1 in government requires a more stately home i guess ha. Personally i would try and buy on the opposite side of the road as it overlooks the pitch and putt course and i think each resident has part ownership of the course meaning it won't be sold for further housing, nice and peaceful back garden too 😀

**edit*** it's not Donohoes home, it's also overlooking the canal at the back and south facing garden, super. If i had the cash i would be in for it, probably offering 50k less, see where it goes

Jackben75 wrote: »

**edit*** it's not Donohoes home, it's also overlooking the canal at the back and south facing garden, super. If i had the cash i would be in for it, probably offering 50k less, see where it goes

It is north facing, and there's a road (Shandon Gardens) between the back of the house and the canal.

It is north facing, and there's a road (Shandon Gardens) between the back of the house and the canal.

Actually yeah it is north facing garden, it is down from the gardens, so no houses at the back, it overlooks the canal and where the group of trees were planted, its circa the middle of Shandon park.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Those houses peaked at around 900k in 2007 iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

Those houses peaked at around 900k in 2007 iirc.

And one sold on that road for around 600k this time last year - I imagine it was also done up to the nines as well, so 695 might be a stretch but definitely possible.

Great that it's not overlooked, but I wouldn't fancy my back garden being a short hop over the wall to that part of the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Funny, I lived in Phibsboro for 5 years and never heard of the Shandon area until discussed in this thread these past few days. The area looks lovely on Streetview, like a nicer part of Ranelagh or Clontarf. I guess by it's location, you wouldn't necessarily be passing through it on the way to somewhere else so explains how I never came across it on walks etc.

ongarboy wrote: »
    Funny, I lived in Phibsboro for 5 years and never heard of the Shandon area until discussed in this thread these past few days. The area looks lovely on Streetview, like a nicer part of Ranelagh or Clontarf. I guess by it's location, you wouldn't necessarily be passing through it on the way to somewhere else so explains how I never came across it on walks etc.

I lived just over the canal in D9 for years before I ever had heard of Shandon, was fairly surprised to say the least when I passed through the first time. Houses probably a bit smaller than you'd fined in Ranelagh or Clontarf but definitely similar vibe.

There's also a very strong community vibe there, or at least there was when I lived there (around 10 years ago). There was an annual garden competition, the kids would put on a play on the street, things like that. The only downside was the alleyways behind the houses would attract the wrong sorts of people: alcoholics, drug addicts, people like that.

• Advertisement

There's also a very strong community vibe there, or at least there was when I lived there (around 10 years ago). There was an annual garden competition, the kids would put on a play on the street, things like that. The only downside was the alleyways behind the houses would attract the wrong sorts of people: alcoholics, drug addicts, people like that.
    Jeez Bobby, your a bit over the top, i know this area well, in fact i grew up very near it, it is perfectly fine, you used to get the odd cider drinkers on the canal back in the day but now it is grand, no drug addicts at all. That road is golden, the only negative thing for that house is it is a north facing garden, not ideal but certainly not a deal breaker. Also, it is on street parking unless you use the back garden/garage etc. There is no short hops over the wall either, it is a standard wall, similar to 90% of Dublin housing estates. Great investment, Phibsboro has taken off, the prices are only going 1 way. Come on ha

Jeez Bobby, your a bit over the top, i know this area well, in fact i grew up very near it, it is perfectly fine, you used to get the odd cider drinkers on the canal back in the day but now it is grand, no drug addicts at all. That road is golden, the only negative thing for that house is it is a north facing garden, not ideal but certainly not a deal breaker. Also, it is on street parking unless you use the back garden/garage etc. There is no short hops over the wall either, it is a standard wall, similar to 90% of Dublin housing estates. Great investment, Phibsboro has taken off, the prices are only going 1 way. Come on ha

Fair enough, perhaps I am being a bit over the top. As you say, you lived in Shandon while I was only renting there for a few years. I would say that most of my posts highlighted what a great place I found Shandon - and from living nearby when I moved out, Phibsborough as a whole has definitely improved even more so, with lots of cafes and bars opening up. The community feel to Shandon has not been replicated in any of the others places that I have lived since.

I would say that while the walls may be similar size to other gardens in Dublin, most of them don't open up to a fairly deserted stretch of the canal. As for the alcoholics/drug addicts who used those laneways, they were only there sporadically (usually in the summertime) and wouldn't cause any hassle. It wasn't a huge issue for me, but might be for other people.

Agree on the north facing back garden, though. Having said that, the gardens are so long that I imagine it wouldn't be a huge issue.

Fair enough, perhaps I am being a bit over the top. As you say, you lived in Shandon while I was only renting there for a few years. I would say that most of my posts highlighted what a great place I found Shandon - and from living nearby when I moved out, Phibsborough as a whole has definitely improved even more so, with lots of cafes and bars opening up. The community feel to Shandon has not been replicated in any of the others places that I have lived since.

I would say that while the walls may be similar size to other gardens in Dublin, most of them don't open up to a fairly deserted stretch of the canal. As for the alcoholics/drug addicts who used those laneways, they were only there sporadically (usually in the summertime) and wouldn't cause any hassle. It wasn't a huge issue for me, but might be for other people.

Agree on the north facing back garden, though. Having said that, the gardens are so long that I imagine it wouldn't be a huge issue.

fair enough, i was probably a bit ott in response. i disagree about drug addicts though, maybe passing through or something but definitely non existent. I would love to buy that house ha. anyway, stay well

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dev_ire

Anyone know what are the plans for the current library as there is plans to move it up to the new shopping/Dalymount as part of that redevelopment. Is it gonna be linked up as part of the greenway cycle route from old canal offshoot with that new bridge under/over to follow on down past the basin?

https://youtu.be/VRrJOxujAZI?t=70 about the library moving.

Also any ideas if the Bank of Ireland branch when closed will just be one of the many empty buildings in that part of the village?

[HTML][/HTML]
    dev_ire wrote: »
    Anyone know what are the plans for the current library as there is plans to move it up to the new shopping/Dalymount as part of that redevelopment. Is it gonna be linked up as part of the greenway cycle route from old canal offshoot with that new bridge under/over to follow on down past the basin?

https://youtu.be/VRrJOxujAZI?t=70 about the library moving.

Also any ideas if the Bank of Ireland branch when closed will just be one of the many empty buildings in that part of the village?

Good questions, arguably the bank will be sold and indeed most of those empty dwellings will take off over the coming years, it's a great area but prices are rising fast. I would imagine the library would have a protection order on it so i would expect something from a public aspect would be envisioned.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Bohs have taken one of the vacant units (old Xtravision) in Phibsboro Shopping Centre to use as a club office:

https://twitter.com/bfcdublin/status/1367221089445765122

[HTML][/HTML]

Good questions, arguably the bank will be sold and indeed most of those empty dwellings will take off over the coming years, it's a great area but prices are rising fast. I would imagine the library would have a protection order on it so i would expect something from a public aspect would be envisioned.

Yeah I would imagine the library is not like the bank for example, would be nice to be a continuation of the royal canal way park on the other side or maybe be for bike storage/bike parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Isn't there a plan for Busconnect to have a cycleway going under the road just in front of where the library is? That could mean more traffic going along there so it could be a good place for a cafe

matrim wrote: »
    Isn't there a plan for Busconnect to have a cycleway going under the road just in front of where the library is? That could mean more traffic going along there so it could be a good place for a cafe

It would but there is alreay twoboysbrew there and another cafe on the other side a bit further down and then mocksgreen around the corner and eventually Lorettas back open so doubt it would be viable unless a big chain came in and invested a lot to make it really nice outdoor area.

Yep plan is to have a bridge under linking that part of the royal canal way down through that linear park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

While on my 5km stroll id sometimes venture down the canal to the locks at phibsboro, its always an interesting route with the array of characters that frequent

Advertisement