Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arc-aid: Cambridge

• 09-06-2014 8:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭

Is anyone heading over to this? Flights are €107 return with Ryanair
    PRODPIC-34377.jpg
    Event: 'Arc-aid: Cambridge'
    Confirmed venue: Cambridge Computer Museum
    Date: 12th July (free rollover to 13th July for those who want to continue on)
    Cost: £5 online or £7 on door (exclusive discount code: 'tempest' - do not share this)
    Purchase a ticket here: http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/34377/Arc-Aid-12th-and-13th-July-2014/
    Book hotel here: http://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/577/Cambridge-Newmarket-Road-hotel

Highlights:
    - Repair museum's cabs! Click here to see a few
    - Play museum's working cabs and others (inc. pins) that are brought along by attendees
    - Organised arcade-centric talks by forum members
    - PCB repair workshop (register and bring a PCB - maybe you'll learn how to fix it yourself!)
    - 100's of retro consoles to play and read about in the museum
    - Exclusive museum access for forum members all evening until midnight!
    - Buy / Sell / Trade

Talks:
    Jason Fitzpartick - All about the museum.

Equipment:
    - t-m: soldering/desoldering equipment, JAMMA test rig, EPROM programmer, logic probe/scope

Organisation:
    - Jason Fitzpatrick: Museum founder / venue & cab owner
    - NES4Life (Phill): general organisation of event
    - ianski - doing initial checkup of cabs before event

Museum's cabs:
    - t-m

Other cabs / pins coming:
    - Chuckie egg - cocktail
    - Steve - 2 pins and a Jamma cab
    - ianski - ROTJ

Workshop gurus:
    - t-m and 1 other

PCB bearers:
    - NES4Life: Sega Mega-tech with minor P1 control fault, sound issue & potential battery replacement
    - DrGlitch: Turtles in Time with some severed traces

Possible attendees from this forum:
    - NES4Life
    - Dr.Glitch
    - strykr
    - Chuckie egg
    - t-m
    - Steve
    - virtvic
    - ianski
    - Alpha1
    and 1 other

Original thread:

Hey, what's the general consensus on a meetup based around carrying out repairs together, knowledge sharing, and trading parts / PCBs / games / other retro (oh and playing a few cabs / consoles too)? I attended a smallish retro event in the southeast a while back and it was awesome; some guy used the entire day to make repairs, others traded and talked about the stuff they brought in and others just played a few games and held tournaments. Was just held in a village hall. Some guys stayed in a hotel the night before and after; much food and beer consumed!

Professional repairers could attend complete with looms - repairs with no postage costs sounds awesome to me. We could have a few talks put on about people's experiences in the industry. Bring your spare parts, chips, caps & soldering irons! I'd love a 101 on using logic probes and hunting down bad traces etc. what's the best way to clean up a leaked battery, how do you make an X-to-Jamma connector etc.

What say ye? I bet even the thought of instant trades minus postage costs (with access to test rigs) is enough for some of us to make it a day or 2?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,389 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Wouldn't mind heading to this myself. Would be interesting to go along with some broken PCBs and see if they can be fixed at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I'd like to learn a bit more about using logic probe, scope
    I know the very basics but there is always more to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dexterm99

I'd love to go and learn PCB repair and maybe pick up a bargain or two.
    Maybe take the red eye flight and be back in Dublin that night.

Advertisement