Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT "On-Call" Rates

Options
  • 09-06-2014 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Im currently negotiating with my employer to go on-call. I work in an IT department where I will be on-call one week in four. I will be paid per day and per call out. Most calls can be dealt with and resolved over the phone but will need to call to the office from time to time.

What is the current going rate for on-call per day?
    Per call?

How does it work?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

MOD: Not an Irish Economy subject. Moved LOCKED to Work & Jobs so that mods can review it for appropriateness.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

When I was on call a few good years ago, we were paid to be on call, and then paid per call as well. Is it 24/7?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

I suppose it depends on the employer.

In my work there is a flat rate which is decent and then we get double time for every hour of work we do, that means if we take a 5min call we get paid for a full hours work :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Last place I worked it was an extra weeks pay for that week. So you got 2 weeks pay for a weeks work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Paddy if it one week in four is there an already on-call structure in place and being paid to three others. A lot depends on how oftenyou will be called and if while on call you have to be in office within a certain time. Some employers pay a milage allowance if you have to go into office and the other thing is that it is not all about pay.

If you are called after midnight and the call takes 3-4 hours is there rest periods or have you to attend work as normal in the morning. This can be really tough where you get called 2-3 night on a row. A lot depends on revenue the company is making because of you being on call. A lot also depend on how often you may be called ( look at averge no of calls over last year or two and duration).

A lot depends on if OT is paid within the company or not. A lot will also depend where bthe average call out is 10 min, an hour and a half or maybe longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

OP, it depends on what exactly you do. What's your base salary, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Last place I worked was a flat rate per week on call, regardless of how many calls you got called out to. You could go months making money for old rope or the odd time you'd be in a few nights in a row.

Advertisement