Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A2 Test - Restriction Cert

• 09-06-2014 9:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

Ok, I am looking for a 100% certain answer on this, if at all possible.

Booked my test in for A2 and if I remember correctly there were notes going around that the restriction cert has to be less than 2 years old at the day of the test so I went looking.

I have the carb restrictors in as per previous rule for the old type A permit and have the "cert" / letterhead paper stating the cert details and so on from the garage that fitted the restrictors in. This was over 2 years ago...

So I went to well known garage on South Side of Dublin to look to see can they re-test the bike and provide up to date certificate so that I can have one less than 2 years old for the test and boy was I shocked.

I've been told the only certificate the RSA will recognise is the FI one. And to do this, the whole kit must be ordered and "installed" as they won't just provide the cert. To get this done, I was quoted the price of the Module 5 IBT!!

So I guess two questions:

1. Is there anywhere I can get the bike re-certified on the restriction I have that will be accepted by the RSA?
    2. Does it need to be FI certificate?

The only other option I have is to do progression module and do the test for A licence!! Unfortunately the price of the Module 5 is preventing me doing this at the moment.

Thank you in advance!
    Peanut

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

That's not true, but the restriction cert must be detailed.

A letter on headed paper from a garage is acceptable if it states the vehicle reg, chassis, original power, restricted power and date.

Been refused a test as I didn't have the 'official' cert.
    Argued my case as the RSA website states that a letter stating the same details is acceptable (maybe print that out and bring it with you in case the tester tries to refuse)

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/The-Motorcycle-Test/
    The Driver Tester will begin by asking to see your learner permit and will ask you to sign a form stating that the motorcycle is both roadworthy and insured.

You will be asked to produce your Vehicle Registration Certificate which confirms details regarding the motorcycle you present to test with (i.e. power output in kW, engine cc, power to weight ratio, make, model, and registration number). If your motorcycle is restricted in power, you will need to bring the certificate which provides proof of compliance or restriction. This must be a certificate or on headed paper from an official source. Failure to provide this documentation at your test will mean your test will not be conducted and your fee will be forfeited.

My argument was accepted as correct and I got a retest.

It took a fair bit of hassle though as I rang the RSA and they contacted the tester to 'ask' the procedure. In other words, the controlling organisation was asking it's employees how to implement the rules, rather than being the ones ordering all testers to adhere to the same standards.

If I was you, I'd ring the RSA in Ballina and get clarification on that before you go, and get the persons name in the RSA.
    If the tester refuses to conduct the test, tell him to call that person and have your documents in order.

Good Luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Thank you for that Pique! That would most certainly help as I do have that!

One more thing.

Make sure the restricted power is greater than 50% of the original power, and between 25-35kW.

ie, if the bike had 51kW, a 25kW restriction is not permitted, but 30kW is permitted.

As far as I am aware my Bandit 600 with restriction falls in ok! I was under old type A permit and switched over to new A2.

According to
    http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/Driving-Test-Vehicles---Motorcycles/
    yes, it does.

I'm the same on an SV650S

Make sure your permit was issued since 19 Jan 2013 (one of the green credit card ones) and you should be OK.

• Advertisement

Yep, have that! Thank you for your answers! Sincerely hope this won't be an issue!

Advertisement