Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it (regulation wise) possible to do a an entire stage/year in one semester?

Options
  • 09-06-2014 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

Hey,

if one was to fail semester 2 of 13/14 and had to repeat it in semester 1 of 14/15, could I complete my entire next stage in semester 2 14/15? I know it would be tough and all but I'm just asking if it's possible given regulations. I do arts btw

I'd really appreciate if someone can help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

No. Max amount of credits you can take per semester is 40 ECTS. As a stage is 60 ECTS you will not be able to complete your stage in one semester.
    Students may take a minimum of 20 credits and a maximum of 40 credits per semester, subject to the approval of the relevant Programme Board.

From here - The topic on full time workload.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Alternatively, what one could possibly do is take a low intensity semester 1 of 20 credits alongside all the repeats, and then a high intensity semester 2 of 40 credits afterward. Might be worth talking to someone in the programme office to see what your options are.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

Raphael wrote: »
    Alternatively, what one could possibly do is take a low intensity semester 1 of 20 credits alongside all the repeats, and then a high intensity semester 2 of 40 credits afterward. Might be worth talking to someone in the programme office to see what your options are.

This would have been ideal but I need 50 credits in order to be able to take stage 2 modules at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Ok, so little walk down memory lane, I was in this position after my 3rd year of college - failed 3 courses, couldn't progress. I took a year out, sat the repeats in semester 1, and then came back the following september. But when I came back, I was informed that I could have just done a normal final year, with the resits, but with the added risk that if I didn't pass the resits, I'd have to pay the costs of sitting the courses I had.

Now I have no idea whether this was a misconception that lecturer had, a policy that's since changed, or what, but it could be worth asking if there's any way whatsoever you can do some courses. If nothing else, it couldn't hurt to ask around.

Alternatively, if you're going into 2nd year arts, you could do 3 40 credit semesters instead of 4 30 credit ones, since stage 2 is a 2 year stage. Unless they've changed that.

Really appreciate that, I'll ask someone at the programme office. Thanks alot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

A girl in my course did 3 modules this year in semester 1 and 9 in semester 2 because she didn't know about that rule and the system didn't stop her. She got an email from the dean asking her to justify her choice and saying she might have to do 13 in final year instead, but it worked out fine in the end. So it's definitely something you could look into anyway.

^Thanks alot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I have just done a 40 credit semester. May I say it is an extremely heavy workload and if you can find a way around it, I would advise it.

Advertisement