Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting from Laytown

Options
  • 09-06-2014 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi All,

I'm looking at moving to Laytown.

I'm currently working in Dublin City centre.

What is the train service like from Laytown - is it packed in the mornings?

What is Laytown like in general?

Thanks,
    SK.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Meath08

The train is packed every morning. Have you considered Matthews bus? At least you'd have a seat and it goes to Parnell Street. I believe certain morning buses go further than the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 soulkid555

I just assumed the train would be quicker and I wasn't aware of Matthews.

And I noticed the train station is only a 10 minute walk from the house I'm moving into.

I work late some nights and I know the train runs until after 11:30pm and with the train I can avail of the taxsaver yearly ticket which probably works out better.

Is Laytown a safe area? Good bars / restaurants in the area? Or is Bettystown where it is at?

So chances of getting a seat in the early morning before 7:30am would be slim?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Meath08

soulkid555 wrote: »
    I just assumed the train would be quicker and I wasn't aware of Matthews.

And I noticed the train station is only a 10 minute walk from the house I'm moving into.

I work late some nights and I know the train runs until after 11:30pm and with the train I can avail of the taxsaver yearly ticket which probably works out better.

Is Laytown a safe area? Good bars / restaurants in the area? Or is Bettystown where it is at?

So chances of getting a seat in the early morning before 7:30am would be slim?

Matthews bus has a few stops so I'd be surprised if the walk isn't shorter to one of their stops (train station, Inse Bay, midway between those two stops, the church). Their last bus leaves Parnell Street at midnight and I'm pretty sure they have a tax saver ticket too (and leap card also works). I haven't travelled on the train before 7.30am so can't advise with certainty about a seat but it's the impression I have. Certainly you would be unlikely to have a seat on the return leg during rush hour.

As far as safety goes I've walked it at night but I've never done it on my own. There are parts of Laytown which are areas I would be more wary of but I've always found the Inse Bay area safe which I'm guessing might be where you are moving to if it's a ten minute walk to the station.

There are good bars and restaurants in both Laytown and Bettystown but it comes down to personal choice.

Advertisement