Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Printer

Options
  • 09-06-2014 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

I was contemplating buying a Brother HL3140CW http://www.costpercopy.ie/Brother_HL_3140CW_A4_Colour_Laser_Printer_p/hl-3140cw.htm

I require a semi portable printer, for location work, with wireless access. However, I need to restrict access to the printer to a handful of users as there might be 50+ people on the wireless network. Is there such a printer which requires perhaps a pin/code to enable printing?

Unfortunately the Brother HL3140CW doesn't allow pin/code restriction.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Be careful of your understanding of the term WIFI. These printers do not operate as WIFI access points. You cannot "join" them. You need a separate WIFI access point [usually your home or SOHO router]. This is the product that keeps unwashed masses off your network. You connect your PC/Laptop and WIFI printer to this Access point.

For your needs, you have alternatives.
    1. Purchase a WIFI AP [with DHCP prefered] and do as above.
    2. Use a USB cable between Laptop and printer. Much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭RnR

Understood. I want the printer to join the wifi network. Then restrict the number of network users who can access the printer.
    Presently we use a USB cable between laptop and printer. However, when you've six laptop users in the office sharing the same printer......moving the USB cable from laptop to laptop is a pain ...........

Advertisement