Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should the death penalty be reinstated?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

yeah but these people you quoted sound like they are ferrel themselves so of course they will come out with drivel like this, nobody takes them seriously or takes note of anything they have to say

You mustn't be a parent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

mad muffin wrote: »
    You mustn't be a parent.
    Great argument there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

You mustn't be a parent.

That is him told!!

Holsten wrote: »
    Great argument there!
    wprathead wrote: »
    That is him told!!

Someone had to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

The death penalty is, for me, morally unjustifiable. In my opinion killing is wrong and is not made right by the person you kill having done it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I think it's a bit of a stretch from, the scumbag got what he deserved, to let's reintroduce the death penalty…
    Oh and he died such a death too.

Arm ripped off in the crash and bled to death as his "mate" ran off. Couldn't be more delighted.
    One is the state killing someone for stealing a taxi. The other is a career criminal getting killed in the course of committing a crime.

How hard is it to understand that? No one is saying that he deserved to die but very few care that he did.
    You guys are too soft.

These are the kind of scum that make life a misery for everyone around them.
    I didn't say it was but I'm not too upset he killed himself in the course of committing a crime. It's not like they were innocent young kids mowed down in the prime of their lives, with so much to contribute to society.

I'm sorry it didn't get me in the feels.
    Lived to commit more crimes? Lived to be a burden on society? Prison is no deterrent for people like him. It's probably his second home. Sooner or later death comes a calling, in his case I suppose it came a bit sooner.

Meh.
    You mustn't be a parent.
    Someone had to do it.

Do you see how you are going back and forth from not thinking he deserved to die to being delighted that the person had his arm ripped off from the impact and bleeding to death.
    No one deserves that level of suffering before death.
    At the end of the day the guy received a death sentence for his crime and his friend should be put behind bars for a long time.
    Prison may not be a deterrent because our judges are fcuking useless but if we adopted the sentences (not death) that they give in the US you may see less of this kind of ****e going on.
    I seriously don't get the "you're obviously not a parent" rubbish you posted, what was the meaning?
    What if it was your child that was killed in that taxi? That "scumbag" as you so eloquently posted is someones son, brother and I can't imagine what the parents must be feeling right now.
    Cop yourself on..
    Oh and btw, I believe the others that posted "great argument there and you told him" were taking the piss.

bear1 wrote: »
    Do you see how you are going back and forth from not thinking he deserved to die to being delighted that the person had his arm ripped off from the impact and bleeding to death.
    No one deserves that level of suffering before death.
    At the end of the day the guy received a death sentence for his crime and his friend should be put behind bars for a long time.
    Prison may not be a deterrent because our judges are fcuking useless but if we adopted the sentences (not death) that they give in the US you may see less of this kind of ****e going on.
    I seriously don't get the "you're obviously not a parent" rubbish you posted, what was the meaning?
    What if it was your child that was killed in that taxi? That "scumbag" as you so eloquently posted is someones son, brother and I can't imagine what the parents must be feeling right now.
    Cop yourself on..
    Oh and btw, I believe the others that posted "great argument there and you told him" were taking the piss.

I stand corrected boss.

Wat.

You do know that the US has the highest rate of incarceration in the world. And one of if not the highest rates of recidivism.

Their system is a fine model alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

"Human rightsters" is an insult now? How terrible to believe that all people deserve basic rights. It's almost as bad as being a do-gooder!
    Thud wrote: »
    I voted yes but if "the scumbag" hadn't died and was dying on the street and you knew he had just carjacked the car would you call an ambulance or let him die there?

A normal person with the bare minimum of human compassion would call an ambulance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

"Human rightsters" is an insult now? How terrible to believe that all people deserve basic rights. It's almost as bad as being a do-gooder!

A normal person with the bare minimum of human compassion would call an ambulance.

It's not bad to believe all people have human rights. The issues come when the rights of two people compete and you priorities the rights of the wrong person. Or when a person regularly actively interferes with the rights of people and then attempts to rely on those same rights himself.

Holsten wrote: »
    Wat.

You do know that the US has the highest rate of incarceration in the world. And one of if not the highest rates of recidivism.

Their system is a fine model alright...

We should adopt their 3 strikes rule.
    I read a woman got a 55 year sentence today after she drove drunk and ran a guy over that then hung onto her windshield.
    She was trying to knock him off the car by swinging from side to side.
    People eventually stopped her and the guy died in hospital.
    She had commited crimes before and due to the 3 strikes she was sent down for 55 years to life.
    They are given chances to stay clean, if not then in you go.

We should adopt their 3 strikes rule.
    I read a woman got a 55 year sentence today after she drove drunk and ran a guy over that then hung onto her windshield.
    She was trying to knock him off the car by swinging from side to side.
    People eventually stopped her and the guy died in hospital.
    She had commited crimes before and due to the 3 strikes she was sent down for 55 years to life.
    They are given chances to stay clean, if not then in you go.
    Again... Wat.

You should do even the smallest bit of reading on the subject before posting.

3 strikes rule is a gigantic mess in the states leading to massive overcrowding. You go to jail for life no matter what the crimes are.

The US justice system is a failure, please don't look at it as something to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭StudentDad

No, no and no. The death penalty is wrong. Simple as.

There are too many instances of individuals incarcerated and later exonerated of crimes they never committed.

What should be sorted is the time spent in gaol. If an individual is sentenced to 20 years for murder that should be it. Bye bye see you in 20 years.

SD

If we were to base our judiciary system on a country then I would base it on Finland.
    They are voted as having the best criminal justice system in the world.
    The 3 strikes rule is harsh but you are at least given a chance and you know quite clearly how the situation looks, I didn't phrase it properly in my previous post.
    If you can't do the time then don't do the crime comes to mind.
    In Ireland we don't have a very good criminal justice system and some of the sentences that are handed out can be shocking.
    I repeat though, I would never favour the death penalty, but a review of our own system is seriously needed.

The three strike system is pretty harsh but a more steeply escalating sentancing sytem is needed here. People on over a hundred convictions should not be getting suspended sentances. When looking at harsh sentancing it's not always ideal to look to the U.S. There prison system doesn't really engage in rehab. The combination of an escalating sentencing system with a proper rehabilitation program could be very effective.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Lived to commit more crimes? Lived to be a burden on society? Prison is no deterrent for people like him. It's probably his second home. Sooner or later death comes a calling, in his case I suppose it came a bit sooner.

Meh.
    You mustn't be a parent.
    Someone had to do it.
    I stand corrected boss.

You don't seem terribly convinced. Even by your own argument. Which seems to be he deserved to die eventually (for crimes yet to happen) and in a most painful condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Maybe put it to a referendum ?
    Let the people have their say...

petronius wrote: »

I imagine common sense would prevail & it would be rejected.

old hippy wrote: »
    You don't seem terribly convinced. Even by your own argument. Which seems to be he deserved to die eventually (for crimes yet to happen) and in a most painful condition.

Why not? It's like at that moment karma came and bit him on the arse. Literally at the moment of impact, all his misdeeds, all the pain and suffering he brought on others came back to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

petronius wrote: »

Why?

That's why we elect politicians.

If you complain about them then the people elected bad politicians.

Referenda only got hijacked by populist campaigners and dodge the real issue.

The death penalty achieves nothing.

It does not prevent crime or help the victim.

Studying the psychology of live criminals is more beneficial and see how such crimes can be prevented would be more beneficial.

I don't want to live in a country with state sponsored murder.

• Advertisement

Why not? It's like at that moment karma came and bit him on the arse. Literally at the moment of impact, all his misdeeds, all the pain and suffering he brought on others came back to him.

He stole a car and died. I don't see that as karma. For that you want the death penalty re-introduced and you expressed your delight in his painful demise.

I see no difference between the two of you, tbh.

He stole a car and died. I don't see that as karma. For that you want the death penalty re-introduced and you expressed your delight in his painful demise.

I see no difference between the two of you, tbh.

I never said I wanted the death penalty reintroduced. But I also don't care if a crim dies in the course of committing a dangerous crime.

Aren't I correct anyway in thinking that being part of the EU we aren't allowed to have the death penalty?
    So if we really did want a referendum on it we would also have to have an referendum on leaving the EU.

http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/human_rights/human_rights_in_third_countries/r10106_en.htm

I never said I wanted the death penalty reintroduced. But I also don't care if a crim dies in the course of committing a dangerous crime.

But evidently you care enough to be "delighted".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The death sentence increases serious crime rates, so even those who think it would be a deterrent are against it.

But evidently you care enough to be "delighted".

Aren't you?

Aren't you?

Are you actually asking if someone is delighted that a criminal suffered a horrible death?

Are you actually asking if someone is delighted that a criminal suffered a horrible death?

More that he's not suckling on societies teet anymore. One less ungrateful mouth to feed, so to speak. You know?

Aren't you?

I would have thought it's quite clear that I don't rejoice in the deaths of people. Be they upstanding members of the public or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

The death penalty? FFS, if I wanted to go back to the 13th Century I'd go and live in some hellhole theocracy.

• Advertisement

The death penalty? FFS, if I wanted to go back to the 13th Century I'd go and live in some hellhole theocracy.

Indeed. I often wonder if the type of person who gleefully calls for death penalties, floggings and mutilation are the same who decry the "barbarism" of certain Middle Eastern countries...

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Umadbrah?

I don't see the death penalty working in USA

I would have thought it's quite clear that I don't rejoice in the deaths of people. Be they upstanding members of the public or not.

So what do propose to do with repeat offenders? Prison doesn't work. I don't see what's wrong with them killing themselves for free?

Umadbrah? wrote: »

Depends on what you mean by working. Offenders who receive the death penalty rarely commit crime afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Depends on what you mean by working. Offenders who receive the death penalty rarely commit crime afterwards.
    Yet major crime rates are higher in US states with the death penalty than those without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

I haven't read a single post on this thread. It won't sway my opinion. Extinguishing anothers life is no business that decent human beings should partake in. Should be left to fate, karma whatever! To take a life is just plain wrong and to assume that society has the ability to make this decision is abhorrent to me in every way.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Yet major crime rates are higher in US states with the death penalty than those without it.

Not sure why you think that counters my point but you're in a chicken/egg situation there. Do they have a death penalty because they have higher crime or do they have higher crime because they have the death penalty?

Umadbrah? wrote: »
    You won't see it working pretty much anywhere.

Advertisement