Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

missed maths paper one

• 09-06-2014 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

my sister is doing her lc and she was ill on Friday and couldn't get in to do her maths paper. she went today to do paper two but we were told by a family friend that because she missed paper one she'll get an automatic NG for maths overall. is this true?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Gaw_

Call the SEC, that really should have been done on Friday though. If she was in hospital, they could have arranged for her to take it there.

Anyway, their number is 090-6442700

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

A letter from the hospital or her surgeon should at least make things look better for her, get in contact with the SEC as soon as possible and get as much documentation as you can to back up her illness/injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

my sister is doing her lc and she was ill on Friday and couldn't get in to do her maths paper. she went today to do paper two but we were told by a family friend that because she missed paper one she'll get an automatic NG for maths overall. is this true?

Ill sounds awfully mild to get out of a leaving certificate exam. Honestly she should have contacted sec straight away.

Best of luck but she could well be stuck with the ng.

Ill sounds awfully mild to get out of a leaving certificate exam.

Yeah, I wouldn't use Ill if I was talking to anyone. I know people that had to do exams less than 12 hours after a parent had died, others with a few broken bones.

By missing a LC exam she has permanently changed her life for the worse, I hope it doesn't turn out too badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 attackofpotato

well she went down to the school today and they turned her away from her exam and my mother rang the SEC and the woman on phone said she's sending people out to the school now to investigate it because they had no right to not let her sit the second paper so hopefully they let her resit it or something.

• Advertisement

hopefully they let her resit it or something.

I wonder has this actually ever happened? Once the paper is out I thought that was it.

GarIT wrote: »
    Yeah, I wouldn't use Ill if I was talking to anyone. I know people that had to do exams less than 12 hours after a parent had died, others with a few broken bones.

jeez that's harsh! it's just an exam at the end of the day, it doesn't actually effect your life that much. there are other ways into college and a successful happy life.

I wonder has this actually ever happened? Once the paper is out I thought that was it.

they let my cousin redo her HL maths papers two years ago. obviously she had to pay for it but that's better than no grade at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

By missing a LC exam she has permanently changed her life for the worse,.

Bit much, no???

jeez that's harsh! it's just an exam at the end of the day, it doesn't actually effect your life that much. there are other ways into college and a successful happy life.

That's a lie you're told in school to calm you down. There is no other way into college that doesn't reduce your employability. Somebody who started a level 8 from school will always look better than somebody who started on a level 7 or who went to a PLC before college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

changed her life for the worse - really the silliest comment i've read on LC for a while.
    it's an exam. it can be redone.
    okay, not everyone wants to repeat a year and resit it in june 2015, but there are way worse things that can and do happen.

OP, think it's strange she wasn't allowed to sit paper 2, but unlikely she'll be allowed to sit it now.

take the advice of others and contact SEC

o1s1n wrote: »
    Bit much, no???

Not really, it's the harsh reality of life. For the average person it wont matter, but for others it will close doors that you need perfection to get through.
    changed her life for the worse - really the silliest comment i've read on LC for a while.

Google will ask for your leaving cert results and an entire history of what you have done since you finished the JC if you are looking for one of their between jobs, it's might not affect most people but if you're aiming for the top it closes doors.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

That's a lie you're told in school to calm you down. There is no other way into college that doesn't reduce your employability. Somebody who started a level 8 from school will always look better than somebody who started on a level 7 or who went to a PLC before college.

A level 8 degree following a PLC or not is still a level 8 degree. Only petty small minded people would think otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Not really, it's the harsh reality of life. For the average person it wont matter, but for others it will close doors that you need perfection to get through.

And how do you know the OP doesn't fall into the 'average person it won't matter' category? Quite the assumption you're making.

You also do realize someone can repeat the leaving cert? Nothing is in stone. To think it is, is extremely naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Buataisti

I was under the impression that in such a case you'd be graded on the paper you sat alone. I.E. If you missed paper 1 you'd need 80% in paper 2 to pass but could still pass.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

She won't automatically get an NG but she could only be marked on paper two if she had sat it. If she was ill enough to require hospital the SEC would have sent a supervisor to the hospital. If not sick enough for hospital she should have gone to the school and they would have arranged a centre on her own for her.
    I don't think there is a lot they can do now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

....who would deem a level 8 degree obtained in one swoop as better than a person who goes from a a level 7 Diploma to a level eight course. Both are equal in my book and at least the level 7 candidate shows grit and determination in getting through to a level 8 despite difficulties which may have barred him from straight entry to a level 8 degree in the first place.

Many people learn more from their initial mistakes and early failures than those who sail through a body of work with little apparent effort or pain. Many companies appreciate these people more once they demonstrate an ability to bounce back from initial failures to eventually achieving their goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

An NG probably won't even show up given no paper was submitted. I would have thought the same as Buataisti, she could have gotten a pass on just P2 but with an asterisk beside it I think...I'm shocked the school wouldn't let her sit it.

If she sits neither paper, Maths will not appear on her results sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

By missing a LC exam she has permanently changed her life for the worse, I hope it doesn't turn out too badly.

why would you say something like that?? You can repeat the leaving, you can do a level 6/7, there are so many options its not permanent everyone has second chances its just an exam I think people forget that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Nobody cares at what level you start college. I doubt most people even put that part down on their CV. I certainly wouldnt as I would not consider it relevant. A degree is a degree at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Google will ask for your leaving cert results and an entire history of what you have done since you finished the JC if you are looking for one of their between jobs, it's might not affect most people but if you're aiming for the top it closes doors.

I would hardly rank working for Google as working at the top! Isn't there a culture of life revolving around 20 percent time (free non-paid overtime). For a lot of people there is more to life than being a drone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I've sat one exam sick (I spent 15 minutes puking in front of the school mid-exam) and another the morning of my mother's funeral. Of the two being sick had a worse affect on my result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

well she went down to the school today and they turned her away from her exam and my mother rang the SEC and the woman on phone said she's sending people out to the school now to investigate it because they had no right to not let her sit the second paper so hopefully they let her resit it or something.
    No, she won't be able to resit this year.

But I can't understand why the school (or the exam superintendant) turned her away and refused to let her sit Paper 2, that's crazy.

Tbh, though, the school and the SEC should have been contacted on Friday.
    Completely off-base, in my experience.

As I write I am listening to the guy in the next office singing to himself (extremely off-key, gonna get shouted at in a minute! :pac:) as he corrects exam papers.

He went back and started his degree as a mature student when he was about 26, did his Masters and his PhD and is now a Senior Lecturer in the college.

He still can't sing for shít though! :(
    Google will ask for your leaving cert results and an entire history of what you have done since you finished the JC if you are looking for one of their between jobs, ...
    That could well be true, but my experience of Google recruitment is that evidence of a creative self-starter who works well in teams is a hell of a lot more important to them than a "conventional" academic progression path, and I've heard of them taking people with far from conventional backgrounds.

Very, very few employers will care what route you took through education, it's the end results they value most.

In fact, some will look at someone who has gone the PLC - L7 - L8 route and think "hmmm, this person is committed and determined to get to their goal" and value that more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

There is no other way into college that doesn't reduce your employability. Somebody who started a level 8 from school will always look better than somebody who started on a level 7 or who went to a PLC before college.

In many areas of study I think the opposite would be true.

A person who has completed a level 7 has been studying for longer, suggesting a stronger base knowledge of the subject and demonstrating a real interest in and devotion to the subject.

Advertisement