Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

two handed machete

Options
  • 09-06-2014 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi folks, just need a bit of advice. I've ordered the coldsteel two handed machete from back blades .UK and they've emailed me asking for me to confirm that the machete is legal here. I "think" they're legal here once I'm not carrying it down the shops. I read the relevant law before but can't remember if machetes were included in the illegal list. I've got a kurki sent over to me before and have heard of people buying machetes online before so, what do ya think?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

14. What are Offensive Weapons?

Certain weapons have been listed as offensive weapons.

These include flick-knives, knuckledusters, swordsticks, sword umbrellas, hand and foot claws, belt buckle knives, pushdaggers, hollow kubotans, shurikens, butterfly knives, telescopic truncheons, blowpipes, kusari gama, kyoketsu shoge, manrikigusari, sap gloves, and machetes.

Katanas or 'samurai swords' were added with effect from 1 September 2009, though there are exceptions to the ban designed for collectors and martial artists. You can read the full text of the 1991 Order on offensive weapons here and the 2009 amendment to it here.

The Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act 1990 prohibits the manufacture, importation, sale, hire or loan of offensive weapons and penalties of up to seven years imprisonment can apply.
    http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Firearms_and_Ammunition_FAQ

Sorry...

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

Tabnabs wrote: »

Was just reading through the statute when your message came through. Dang-it. It's a wonder my kurki machete got through so

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Mississippi.

I got mine from Hennie Hayes, it was a Kershaw camp 10 and although it was in the machete section the manufacturers refer to it as a camp knife so technially it is not a machete then if the manufacturer does not call it so ???

Also it actually works out cheaper if you get them to post it to a parcel motel address in the north and then for it to be transferred down to a parcel motel down south if there is one local to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Odd that I see them for sale in most outdoor/surplus shops I go into.

kieranfitz wrote: »
    Odd that I see them for sale in most outdoor/surplus shops I go into.

Yeah, it's strange that I can buy one in a farm shop and down the road I can get a meat cleaver!
    As it's "iillegal" to own one or sell one, I imagine we can't post picks of any machetes we may have?

• Advertisement

Parcel motel works a treat. Over sized parcels can be collected at their depot in Finglas. Will Defford be using them again

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

[mod] Folks, if I could draw your attention to post #2 again, the discussion of buying, sourcing etc. of items classified as "offensive weapons" and therefore illegal, is forbidden under the charter. I have had to delete some posts as a result.[/mod]

Advertisement