Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are banks open today?

Options
  • 09-06-2014 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Are banks open today?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

depends what day it is and country you are in ????

• Registered Users Posts: 14 alice.

Dublin, and today is Pentecost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

Yes they are

Thank u very much :)

Cause In my country is today Pentecost, holiday, everything is closed..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

alice. wrote: »
    Cause In my country is today Pentecost, holiday, everything is closed..

It used to be called the 'Whit' bank holiday here and in the UK but since a long time ago it's fixed to the civil (Gregorian) calendar rather than the feast of Pentecost (also known as 'Whit Sunday') - it's an awful long time since I heard anyone refer to it as the 'Whit weekend'.

It's the last Monday in May in the UK, the first Monday in June here. Easter is now the only moveable feast which has an associated public holiday.

The Monday after Pentecost is a holiday in Austria, Antigua and Barbuda, Anguilla, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Cyprus, Denmark, Dominica, France, Germany, Greece, Grenada, Gibraltar, Hungary, Iceland, Côte d'Ivoire, Luxembourg, Monaco, Montserrat, the Netherlands, Norway, Romania, Saint Lucia, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Solomon Islands and Switzerland. In many of these countries, Whit Monday is known as "the second day of Pentecost" or "the second Whitsun".

And

And until 1973 it was a public holiday in Ireland too.

So I know now everything, thank u !!!!!! :)

Advertisement