Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Leave it" Command

• 09-06-2014 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am always looking for ways to kill the high energy my border terrier cross has. A lot of people have been suggesting to use a Flirt Pole. My dog loves toys so this should be an issue. All the videos online say that you should teach your dog to leave it, and then when you say "fetch" (or whatever your command may be) that only then does the dog start chasing the toy.

However, I attended obedience training (in two separate training facilities) and agility training with my dog and we were always told that the "Leave it" command means leave it and do not touch it EVER. So I would use this when she tries to eat dog poop on a walk, or if she is about to eat my socks etc. Whereas I use "Wait" and she knows that means don't touch until I tell her to (i.e. when I put her food down, she waits and then gets it)!

Just wondering, have I been doing this wrong all these years. What does the command "leave it" mean to you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Yeah, 'leave it' means do not touch at all, ever. For toys, I use 'drop' instead.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Commands can mean whatever you prefer them to mean. For me, I learned "leave it" means you never get it. However I've found recently that it suits me much better for "leave it" to mean "don't touch it unless I give you permission" if necessary I will give a further instruction such as "let's go" while on a walk.

Likewise, for me a "drop" is only ever used when the thing I want left is actually in their mouth, not when they are going towards it. But it obviously works well for vonvix for it to mean leave it too.

So long as you are clear about what you want the dog to do the words you use dont matter once they learn them. In your case, as you've been using leave it as "don't ever touch" for so long I wouldn't change it now. Maybe teach a new command instead for when you're playing. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Whispered wrote: »
    Commands can mean whatever you prefer them to mean. For me, I learned "leave it" means you never get it. However I've found recently that it suits me much better for "leave it" to mean "don't touch it unless I give you permission"

+1 one we're the same I've changed it now that they're to leave it until told otherwise. I'd usually release with 'ok'/'ok take it'

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Thanks for the replies! It was more out of curiosity that I was asking! My dog is 3 now so Whispered, as you said, it may be a bit too late to try change it now. She does understand "wait" but I tend to use that when I am giving her food or if she is going to greet someone at the door. I tell her to wait until they are in the house and then I say ok!

In both the training classes, they made it very clear to us that Leave it should be leave it full stop so I may make up a new word for this game. The flirt pole is going to be a new experience for her anyway so may aswell take advantage and teach her a new command at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

It's good that you already have a release word - that's part of the work done.

You are probably well aware but just in case; I wouldn't go straight in with the flirt pole if you're teaching a new command too. It would be so difficult for her. Best to start with something much more boring and build up :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Whispered wrote: »
    It's good that you already have a release word - that's part of the work done.

You are probably well aware but just in case; I wouldn't go straight in with the flirt pole if you're teaching a new command too. It would be so difficult for her. Best to start with something much more boring and build up :)

Will do. Thanks for the advice!

Advertisement