Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8.1 - any suggestions on improving performance?

• 09-06-2014 12:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

I have a reasonably powerful desktop computer (Intel Core 2 Extreme CPU X9650 3.00GHZ) with 8Gb RAM which I only use for Photoshop and Lightroom. Everything else is done on a laptop next to it.

I don't whether it's the upgrade to 8.1 or what, but it's starting to run slower these days.

Any thoughts on how I might speed it up? Or a link to suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,672 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

When was te last time you did just a clean wipe of the PC? Usually the most effective way to go about it if the installation is years old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Thanks.

I also went into Settings/PC Info/Advanced/Settings/Performance/Visual Effects and changed this to 'Adjust for best performance'.

Also, in the Advanced tab, selected Adjust for best performance of programs.

Definitely faster now.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Dinarius wrote: »
    Thanks.

I also went into Settings/PC Info/Advanced System Settings/Performance Options/Visual Effects and changed this to 'Adjust for best performance'.

Also, in the Advanced tab, selected Adjust for best performance of programs.

Definitely faster now.

D.

I always do that with machines that have low spec or are just chugging along. Turns off the 'bells and whistles' that makes Windows look all shiny. Like window animations or transparency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Running Malwarebytes and CCleaner is never a bad idea either. It'll clean up temporary files and scan for malware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

The difference between 'performance' over 'appearance' is alarming! It's like a new computer!

D.

Advertisement