Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with D-Link router & DHCP?

Options
  • 09-06-2014 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭

Hi oh wise ones of the Net's & Comms forum, I am posting this in the hope that someone can shed some light on this annoying problem I've been having.

The issue is with my main PC. It'c connected through a wired connection to my router, a D-Link DIR-655, which is in turn connected to a UPC modem Cisco EPC-3925 in bridge mode. I'm on the 120MB package from UPC.

The issue is that I have to manually go into the router and reslease/renew the DHCP every night to get the full 120MB from the network. If I do a speedtest it seems that I can only get about 25MB/sec, then I release/renew the DHCP and I am getting full speed again. I am testing the speed using both UPC's own speed test and also speedtest.net, and both agree.

Now I thought the problem was with the router, but the last few weeks my main PC was out of action as we were doing some work in the house so it was packed away and I was using my laptop for everything. Laptop was connected using a wired connection, and didn't experience this issue - it gave the full 120MB/sec all the time with no new for a DHCP refresh every 24 hours.

So I am thinking now it could be the NIC in my main PC, which is an integrated port on the Gigabyte X58A-UD3R motherboard. I got newest Win 8.1 drivers for the NIC but that doesn't seem to have solved the issue. So I am thinking now to spend €12 and buy a separate PCI-E network card from Amazon to see if that fixes the issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how I could troubleshoot the problem a bit further? Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to reply :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

25Mbps would be spot on for a 100Mbps half duplex connection. A quick google implies that negotiation between that router and Broadcom NICs is iffy.

Change the cable, if you can. Then go into the config on the adapter and set it to full duplex and 1 gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

OK tried that.

Download speed this evening when I tested it.

RpvksTL.png

After going into router & renewing DHCP...

O7kxLsE.png

Advertisement