Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I was right - Polar v800

Options
  • 09-06-2014 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/06/polar-v800-depth-review.html
    In my testing I’ve found the GPS acquisition time acceptable but not great. It doesn’t appear to pre-cache satellites like all other fitness devices on the market for the last 1-2 years do.

So it doesn't do GPS acquistiion as well as everyone else.
    You cannot however re-configure those pages (only online via computer).

So I cannot edit the screens on the watch.
    The Polar variant of the footpod is unfortunately the size of a Twinkie, and the largest in the industry.
    First is that like past Polar units, the footpod will override any GPS pace/distance data. There is no option to change tha
    For me however, it never seems to automatically calibrate anything (with both the Polar BLE footpod and other footpods). Rather, it just sticks to some unknown value. As a result, my distances are off.

Foot pods suck
    Note that the V800 does NOT gather cadence from the wrist like most newer running watches, nor does it do pace indoors on a treadmill like most newer running watches.

Again Polar being behind the competition
    First is that the only ‘target’ you can set is heart rate (+ distance or time). No pace/cadence/speed/etc… goals that are fairly common.

HAHAHAHA
    Also I cannot do detailed workouts on the water
    the V800 doesn’t yet support Bluetooth Smart power meters.

So an ANT+ power meter is as support as a BTLE one
    The Polar V800 at this time does not support swimming metrics such as distance or strokes (either in a pool or in openwater). It does however support heart rate in the water, as well as time recording.
    To compare, the distances are:

Polar V800: .68 miles
    Reference distance: .50 miles

The reason for this is that the Polar V800 does not yet have an openwater swim mode.
    Finally, I do want to note that for reasons unclear to either me or Polar, my watch seems to lose the HR connection as soon as the strap goes underwater. I’ve tried a multitude of H7 straps without success (including brand new out of box) on a number of firmware versions.

So the only selling point of the V800 is that it does HR in water. But that doesn't work, and it doesn't do OW distance

It won’t show you steps walked nor distance.

24/7 sucks
    However, I’ve found the situation rather fragmented when it comes to non-Polar branded Bluetooth Smart accessories.

Polar has a long history (read: their entire history) of not playing well with others or industry standards. Up until now, not a single device has followed an industry standard for sensors. It’s always been only their own. With the V800 (and the V650), they’ve been proclaiming that the industry standards of Bluetooth Smart is the “way of the future”. Thus allowing you to use accessories of any brand.

Except, they’re not really doing that. There’s no excuse for not correctly working with Wahoo’s products, or the Adidas footpod. After all, these products have been available for a very long time and are well known as industry standard compliant. Nor is there an excuse for not properly re-broadcasting the heart rate signal. Period, end of story, no excuse.

So the BTLE watch isn't reallyu BTLE compliant................

Does the V800 do live tracking with your phone?

No

Wow would be a given I would have thought
    Will it pair with XYZ Bluetooth Smart sensor?

Well, it depends. In theory it should, but in practice I see things just aren’t as guaranteed as they are in the ANT+ world.

BTLE ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    POLAR ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Above are the salient points of the review.

Anyone who feels the need to say "Sorry Dave you were right" can do so over email in private :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

So Garmin or Polar ???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

major rule in product releases. if you're going to sell something on the strength of a feature, then make sure even if there are problems with the product, that the key feature works flawlessly.

i don't see anything here that cannot be fixed in software(maybe the size of the foot pod), but companies, even those outside of health matters have way to easily adopted the idea that it is okay to release products with software nowhere near ready for release then patch it later. i used be an early adopter for tech, couldn't wait to get the latest toys, but the frustration of dealing with products not ready for market saw and end to that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

peter kern wrote: »
    So Garmin or Polar ???

Its a Polar watch, Garmin don't do orthostatic testing. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

mossym wrote: »
    major rule in product releases. if you're going to sell something on the strength of a feature, then make sure even if there are problems with the product, that the key feature works flawlessly.

i don't see anything here that cannot be fixed in software(maybe the size of the foot pod), but companies, even those outside of health matters have way to easily adopted the idea that it is okay to release products with software nowhere near ready for release then patch it later. i used be an early adopter for tech, couldn't wait to get the latest toys, but the frustration of dealing with products not ready for market saw and end to that

there are hardware limitations too.

As someone who works in software you can see fundamental problems with their approach that do indicate serious serious lack of understanding and procedures.

Why act as chair of the BTLE group and then not implement it as per the spec?

AKW wrote: »
    Its a Polar watch, Garmin don't do orthostatic testing. ;)

I have a power meter. It works with a garmin.
    You have a polar power meter. Will it work with your polar?

Orthostatic sounds good but its the difference between prone and standing RHR. Nothing more.

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    I have a power meter. It works with a garmin.
    You have a polar power meter. Will it work with your polar?

Orthostatic sounds good but its the difference between prone and standing RHR. Nothing more.

Won't even let me enjoy the 1point it has over Garmin :rolleyes:

Yes I have a PM and it will work with the V800 when they upgrade the existing pedals and enable the firmware and do some testing yes it will work, definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

peter kern wrote: »
    So Garmin or Polar ???

Im gonna say neither and break the mold!

Suunto Ambit 2 and loving it!

The Polar variant of the footpod is unfortunately the size of a Twinkie, and the largest in the industry.

Aparently the reason for this is that as a result of accurate calorific information the footpods gives you a more accurate indication of the size treat you may have after a workout, allegedly, Twinkie sized.

So it doesn't do GPS acquistiion as well as everyone else.

Ah to be fair,
    there was a massive Solar Flare event which bombarded the Earth over the Weekend resulting in quite intense Aurora Borealis displays. Aside from the visual effects in the Northern Latitudes, the intensity of the electromagnetic impact can result in disruption of GPS data particularly in non- hardened consumer grade electronic devices, components, etc.

AKW wrote: »
    Aparently the reason for this is that as a result of accurate calorific information the footpods gives you a more accurate indication of the size treat you may have after a workout, allegedly, Twinkie sized.

I thought it was so that the footpods could be used as butt plugs as well??? Cause of the fact all polar fan boys take it up the.............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Why not ask Polar themselves here?

Fire fighting methinks. "Ask anything - we'll ignore or delete the ones we don't like"

Should read some of the other stuff Blunt object;) and here at Cloud Cuckoo Land

As a mahoosive fan and like a child at Christmas for the last year waiting on this to arrive, I'm now like a child that has been told the Easter bunny doesn't exist massively disappointed at the arogance of the company and the failure to deliver on anything in this watch (at launch) that is an improvement on existing offerings. Even my current RCX5 allow me to build training plans with pace and time governed phases :(

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

JohnBee wrote: »
    Im gonna say neither and break the mold!

Suunto Ambit 2 and loving it!

Haha - exactly my thought when I saw that question. I have an Ambit 2 also and it's brilliant. Very reliable and endless options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Polar are trying to replicate the functionaility of the casio digital watch from the 80s.

Polar are trying to replicate the functionaility of the casio digital watch from the 80s.

they've work to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I hear the latest firmware update lets you control your television, is it true? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

since you mention a jalanese company what japanese company does make tri specific watches ? I am a bit suprisde there is no japanes company.
    And anybody knows how is the tom tom watch (cant rember the name comming along)? that looked like an afordable alternative if they have improved on their software.

the slowtwitch crowd seem to pride themselves on being badasses, that you need a thick skin to survive over there

then that polar thread comes up and they fall over each other to kiss the guys ass. great product, i love it. pity it doesn;t do this but if if we expected it to work it would never have been released, yaddah yaddah yaddah

bunch of suck ups. the v800 isnt appealing enough for me to have a go, but tunney out of pure devilment, akw out of disappointment, i'm suprised you guys haven't let loose. akw you could hide your identity so no-one would recognise your alter ego.

hadn't seen that one, or the username :) my faith restored.

or the other username further down. no hiding the alter ego..:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement