Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

alt-j Δ - O2 Sept 27th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

The o2 seems a very big venue for them to play. I would expect the top tiers to be curtained off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Tickets @ 33 quid is pretty good, nice to see a reasonably priced gig in the O2 for once

Saw these in the Olympia a couple of years ago, one of my Top 5 gigs ever. Fantastic stuff. Hope it translates well to the bigger venue

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Are they big enough for the O2?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

Great, was raging I missed them last time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Fooking sweet!!! Definitely going to get to this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Are they big enough for the O2?

The same could be said about Slash, My Chemical Romance, Thirty Seconds to Mars, etc. Dublin has no good middle sized venue, so the O2 just books mid-sized acts and curtains off large sections of the seating area.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭shamtastic

Wow, how many acts have headlined the o2 with only one album? Interesting gig although can't imagine more than 7000 heading along, wonder how much they need through the door to break-even.

shamtastic wrote: »
    Wow, how many acts have headlined the o2 with only one album? Interesting gig although can't imagine more than 7000 heading along, wonder how much they need through the door to break-even.

I dunno, lots of bands?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

shamtastic wrote: »
    Wow, how many acts have headlined the o2 with only one album?

That one album won the Mercury Award though!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I'm guessing by people's comments in this thread about them playing such a big venue, that it won't sell out straight away?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

siblers wrote: »
    I'm guessing by people's comments in this thread about them playing such a big venue, that it won't sell out straight away?

I would be incredibly surprised.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

That one album won the Mercury Award though!

True but that does not automatically bump you up to Arena's. Now maybe when the new album drops it will be massive and thats what they are predicting but i can see the top tier taped off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Aw yussssss, got my tickets! I've never seen them before so I'm really looking forward to it.

EDIT: I just went back to see what tickets I could choose from, rather than "best available" and there are no tickets on sale for the upper tier.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ConConKing

Ticket bought! I've only heard good things about their live set!
    Why does it have to be on so far in the future? God dammit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Tickets bought, really looking forward to this now :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 IgnatiousReily

Saw them live twice and they weren't great. Good album though.

Heard they were class in the olympia.

The KEXP video on YouTube is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

only 2 weeks away, any idea who the support is yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

lc180 wrote: »

Wondering the same thing. Got my tickets last week for standing. Checked back a day later and standing was sold out! Maybe there will be a bit of a crowd at it, we'll wait and see.

You'd think they'd have announced the supporting act long ago to help ticket sales. Probably some unknown band or none at all (I doubt they'd have no support though)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jack747

Anyone no what time alt-j are starting there set at. Only seen recently they were playing but the replay of the stickball is on the same day. Would love to make both!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭DiamondDave88

jack747 wrote: »
    Anyone no what time alt-j are starting there set at. Only seen recently they were playing but the replay of the stickball is on the same day. Would love to make both!

Doors open at 6.30, i'm guessing alt-j wont be out until 8.30-9ish so plenty of time to see both!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭rock whore

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭culline

rock whore wrote: »

What do you make of his voice in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

culline wrote: »
    What do you make of his voice in this?
    They mentioned that this was their first live show since December of last year, so I'm not surprised that the vocals sound a bit suspect in places, particularly with the new material. I have no doubt that will improve as they get accustomed to playing live again and their sound engineers figure out how to balance the channels in a live setting for the new material.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭culline

AdMMM wrote: »
    They mentioned that this was their first live show since December of last year, so I'm not surprised that the vocals sound a bit suspect in places, particularly with the new material. I have no doubt that will improve as they get accustomed to playing live again and their sound engineers figure out how to balance the channels in a live setting for the new material.

*wipes brow*
    Here's hoping! Will be third time to see them, thought they were great both times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

rock whore wrote: »
    full show from NYC

Unless they have a massive production I just can't see their sound working well in an arena type venue. I hope I'm wrong though!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Unless they have a massive production I just can't see their sound working well in an arena type venue. I hope I'm wrong though!
    Pretty sure the top half of the Three Arena is being curtained off for this, so they won't need massive production

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ugh.Im.Clashing

Marika Hackman

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭rock whore

I'm enjoying the new album. Not long to get to know the songs before the show but the setlist seems to be set in stone, drawing heavily from both albums

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Beamish101

Hi,

Does anyone have a spare stading ticket for Alt J? Or know anybody who doesn't want one anymore?

Advertisement