Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landing page for WIFI

Options
  • 09-06-2014 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey,

Not too sure if this is the right forum to post a question of this nature but anyways....

I have a question that I want to put out there that someone might have experience of or have seen before how it might be implemented.

Basically, a pub I used to work in have contacted me to see if I could offer up a solution to driving up numbers on their social media pages. They want to do this by having a landing page to launch when customers walk in to the pub and avail of their WIFI. The landing page would simply have their logo and buttons to 'like' and 'follow' them on their Twitter and Facebook pages. The page would only be launched if people went to use their WIFI.

I have been in contact with their WIFI provider and they don't offer any solution on this as of yet.

I have seen some WIFI providers do offer this on some of their packages where you can have a customized landing page when customers go to avail of their WIFI. Insomnia coffee shop I think have it and they use Bitbuzz.

If anyone can advise at all or have seen any info online I'd really appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

How big is the pub / who is their "WiFi provider" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Some wireless access point manufacturers have this functionality built in like Meraki or OpenMesh

Or if you can, you could flash the router with DD-WRT firmwarwe and use something like HotSpot.com -- http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/set-free-wifi-hotspot-ddwrt/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DaveMc21091987

The current WiFi provider that they're using is MAGNET.

Big pub in Dublin, 3 floors, 5 bars, 1,000 people capacity(Hope this gives an idea of size!)

Would flashing the router/installing directly on to the router bring up issues with the warranty of the router, no? I have heard that this might be an issue.

Appreciate the links and information above. Very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

What you are talking about is a capitve portal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captive_portal
    Shouldn't be too hard to set one up if you have something handy to serve the webpage plus the ability to configure your network to redirect traffic through the server.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I use a Meraki Cisco AP and to access the wifi you can have it set so that people have to like the facebook page or check-in etc. Handy little device.

• Advertisement
Advertisement