Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help. Cat got bird.

• 09-06-2014 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

Cat got what appears to be a young blackbird. It's still alive and appears alert, though its leg might be broken. It seems to be in pain and isn't trying to fly.

We have it in a box of newspaper in an office type room in the garden (warm, dry, quiet and impossible for the cat or magpiesto get to). It made some sort of attempt to drink from the jar lid of water left with it judging by the fact that the newspaper got all wet. I've changed the newspaper so it's back to being dry again.

Normally would put it out of its misery but it appears to be very alert, it doesn't seem half dead just hurt/injured.

What can be done? Would it be able to eat seasame seed or anything like that? Should we try catch a worm? Is there anywhere that rescues birds?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Contact the nearest wildlife centre, there's one in Dublin and there's another one in Kildare. The bird isn't going to survive long if it's not brought to a rescue soon. Definitely don't give it sesame seeds, if you can get to a supermarket tonight get it some of those fat balls made for birds and moisten it into a paste, that should sustain it until tomorrow but you'll need to get it to a rescue centre as soon as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Where is the one in Dublin?

Tried it on some cat food to no avail.

This is the address,

Address:
    Mount Venus Road,
    Rathfarnham,
    Dublin 16.

You will have to give them a phone call first. I don't think I can post their phone number. A quick google search will give you that or other irish wild life rescues if this one doesn't help you.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Irish wildlife Matters

Avoid Mount Venus (sorry SingitOut) :o

I'll PM you the rescue I know of who are very good for wild birds. They have a few good fosterers/rehabilitators in Dublin that will take him in too ;)

• Advertisement

Sadly the poor little thing died in the night :(

anniehoo wrote: »
    Irish wildlife Matters

Avoid Mount Venus (sorry SingitOut) :o

Never used them personally but i'll know in future :D

aw that's a shame OP :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

My cat has four large bells on his collar. It stops him catching birds.

My cat has four large bells on his collar. It stops him catching birds.

I was waiting on this...

My cat has 2 very loud bells on, any louder wouldn't be fair on her ears. As it happens, the bird she caught appeared too young to fly, probably fell out of the nest.

So obnoxious.

I was waiting on this...

My cat has 2 very loud bells on, any louder wouldn't be fair on her ears. As it happens, the bird she caught appeared too young to fly, probably fell out of the nest.

So obnoxious.
    I gave a suggestion and if you think it was an obnoxious one that's no problem. If the cat is killing lots of birds then perhaps keep it indoors.

• Advertisement

I gave a suggestion and if you think it was an obnoxious one that's no problem. If the cat is killing lots of birds then perhaps keep it indoors.

In fairness, the cat got one bird. One bird that likely fell out of a nest because it looked too young to fly. If I was on here constantly giving out about the cat bringing back bird after bird after bird, then yeah, it would have come across as just a suggestion but honestly your 'suggestion' came across as patronizing and chastising. As if I didn't know to put bells on her like..

In fairness, the cat got one bird. One bird that likely fell out of a nest because it looked too young to fly. If I was on here constantly giving out about the cat bringing back bird after bird after bird, then yeah, it would have come across as just a suggestion but honestly your 'suggestion' came across as patronizing and chastising. As if I didn't know to put bells on her like..
    You don't know that the bird fell out of the nest. Fact is your cat killed the bird and you should do everything to stop it in the future.

You don't know that the bird fell out of the nest. Fact is your cat killed the bird and you should do everything to stop it in the future.

No **** sherlock. I asked about the bird, not a lecture on how to mind my cat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

...and end of thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement