Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Bus Bursts into Flames

• 09-06-2014 7:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/pictured-bus-catches-fire-harolds-3665620

Happened at Harold's Cross apparently.
    Jun 09, 2014 13:43 By Brynmor Pattison 0 Comments
    The Dublin Bus vehicle was seen with smoke billowing from it this afternoon

105 Shares
    Tweet
    +1
    Email
    View gallery Twitter/@Eamonng15
    """"""
    Gallery: Bus on fire in Dublin
    View gallery

A bus has been pictured going up in flames after it caught fire during service hours today.

The bus was spotted blazing through Harold's Cross in Dublin by concerned onlookers, who quickly snapped images.

Smoke can be seen billowing from the fire, which appeared to have started in the back left of the vehicle at around 1pm.

Emergency services were called to the scene on Harold's Cross road in the capital.

A Dublin Fire Brigade spokesman said that nobody was injured in the blaze.

He said: "The fire's out. Three units of the fire brigade responded to the scene around an hour ago, and nobody was injured."

Dublin: Harolds Cross Road inbound is currently closed to traffic @Harolds Cross Park due to a Bus on fire. Emergency Services are at scene.

— An Garda Síochána (@GardaTraffic) June 9, 2014
    Gardai said the inbound road had been closed off to traffic.

AA Roadwatch said the bus was outside the hospice on the road and warned those nearby to take care.

Dublin bus has burst into flames on the Harold's Cross Road. pic.twitter.com/Bkof6pOCgC

— Aingeala Flannery (@missflannery) June 9, 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

spontaneous combustion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

''Concerned onlookers, who quickly snapped images.'' :rolleyes:

Was it a runaway bus? I can't tell from reports.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Jesus! That could have ended up much much worse! I usually sit down the back at the bottom, the thoughts of getting caught in that is quite frightening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Riamfada wrote: »
    spontaneous combustion?

I don't get it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Riamfada wrote: »
    spontaneous combustion?

Well played sir well played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Someone should be fired over this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Oh, A Dublin bus! I thought by the title that the company had gone up in smoke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

Probably caused by a bad conductor.

Does anyone know what bus route this was on? Not that it matters, I'm just curious.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

Would this qualify as a ghost bus now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

What's a bus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

A part of me was actually hoping that a bus bursted into (closed?) rathmines chipper "Flames". Fat bus driver was v. hungry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

That'll teach them to insist on exact fare from me :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

That'll teach them to insist on exact fare from me :mad:

Did they steal your stapler? :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping its SPEED over fifty, and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode! I think it was called: 'The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down'.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Fare play to the fire brigade.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

That lad really took it bad when the driver said he's run him over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

A Dublin Fire Brigade spokesman said that nobody was injured in the blaze.

He said: "The fire's out. Three units of the fire brigade responded to the scene around an hour ago, and nobody was injured."

Typical - you wait ages for a fire engine and then three come along at once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

Maphisto wrote: »
    What's a bus?

Jeeves tells me people use this bus thing for mass transportation... Ewww!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

"Fuckin' pegged it, he did".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

coffeepls wrote: »
    Jeeves tells me people use this bus thing for mass transportation... Ewww!

That must come in awfully handy at times.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

UCDVet wrote: »
    Does anyone know what bus route this was on? Not that it matters, I'm just curious.

It wasn't in service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

The bus was spotted blazing through Harold's Cross in Dublin by concerned onlookers, who quickly snapped images.

"Never in my life have I seen a bus move that fast in Donnybrook" quoted one shocked onlooker.

It wasn't in service.

Ahh - sorry - ty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

I heard a junkie accidentally set himself on fire and the fire spread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The 999 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Jesus! That could have ended up much much worse! I usually sit down the back at the bottom, the thoughts of getting caught in that is quite frightening.

Has it never occurred to you that the most likely cause of a fire to start (outside of some scrote lighting one) is the engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

I never get people who do this. The same when there's some scumbags having a fight on the side of the road.. People whipping out their phones to record :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It was a Ringsend garage bus, presumably heading out to start service on the 49 or 15A/B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Drakares wrote: »
    I never get people who do this. The same when there's some scumbags having a fight on the side of the road.. People whipping out their phones to record :confused:

What do you want them to do, pee on the bus to put it out? If someone rang the fire brigade already, you might as well record it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

mikom wrote: »
    "Fuckin' pegged it, he did".

''With the muck on them windows?''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Good to see that Dublin Bus can afford to give their Chief Investigator a personalised Hi-viz-vest. H&S will be pleased.:rolleyes:

Oh, it was on fire? I thought it was just really fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Well that's what you get for stopping on a yellow box

• Advertisement

What do you want them to do, pee on the bus to put it out? If someone rang the fire brigade already, you might as well record it.
    Record it for what - prosperity? :confused: Why do people feel the need to record everything now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

There are reports that the passengers were singing as they got off the Bus.
    Stop de Bus, We need to FLEE FLEE!!...Stop de Bus, we need to Flee flee!!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

I don't get it
    Wouldn't expect you to.
    All you need to know is less fancy people use them for transport.
    You might have spotted one from the air, they are a little taller but not quite as long as your usual day to day limo:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Fairly sure it was the 77a I was on today.
    I got on opposite Watergate park shortly after 12. Driver said he was having problems with the bus (didn't take payments, cheers!), and had been in touch with dispatch or whatever to get another bus out (don't know what help that did, we basically got on the next scheduled bus).

I sat down the back on the bottom floor, the smell of petrol fumes was horrible.
    The bus barely made it to the next stop at Old Bawn (about 300 metres, took all of five minutes), and he told all that it was a loss cause, so we'd all have to leave the vehicle and get the next bus.

I didn't find out about any fire until I got into work later (so it may have been a different bus, but doesn't seem likely).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

What would you do? pull out your fire putting out equipment and set to work?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

The writer was very careful to tell us that there was smoke coming from this fire.

That's an awesome fire

krudler wrote: »
    What would you do? pull out your fire putting out equipment and set to work?
    Ring the fire brigade and carry on with my day. I'd hardly be overly concerned if I just stood there recording it. It's not something I'd look at in years to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I heard a junkie accidentally set himself on fire and the fire spread.

Set them all on fire.

wha wha wha

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

There were some worried faces on my Dublin Bus today when the driver stopped on the side of the road and hurried out to the back of the bus :D

It was a flat tyre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What happened the story on Thejournal.ie about this story?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

You'd be right beside the emergency exit in that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

i would say this is paranormal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭galwayredgirl

Why do buses seem to have a habit of just going up in flames? - It happens with shocking regularity!

Advertisement