Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heat pump

• 09-06-2014 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I am working on a proposed house at the moment circa 2300 ft sq . All elements exceed regs by a lot however it fails on renewables. There is a heat pump 321% HW cylinder within pump circa 150% efficient. Anybody try meet renewables with just a heat pump. This is air/water, no solar panels .
    Any help /suggestions appreciated
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭froshtyv

PAL100 wrote: »
    I am working on a proposed house at the moment circa 2300 ft sq . All elements exceed regs by a lot however it fails on renewables. There is a heat pump 321% HW cylinder within pump circa 150% efficient. Anybody try meet renewables with just a heat pump. This is air/water, no solar panels .
    Thanks

What are you using to heat the house? UFH or rads?

This will have an impact on the results

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

PAL100 wrote: »
    Thanks

air to water heat pumps do not have very high efficiencies.

if its 321% efficient for space heating its actually only around 1.28 return for every 1 unit inputted.
    also, depending on your system, its efficiency for hot water is probably only around 150%... which means in effect its only around 0.6 return for every 1 unit inputted.

so its not very surprising that its not meeting the renewables.

caveat: im in no way saying this is a logical conclusion, nor am i condoning the maths behind it. The anomaly in the maths, when it comes to heat pumps, is well documented.

Advertisement