Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Socket wiring question

Options
  • 09-06-2014 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hi all

I'm just doing up a spare bedroom. There is only one double socket in it. I'm adding 3 more (1 in each corner)

Using the image below the original double socket is at B

I have fed socket C from B

I have also fed socket A from B

I have fed socket D from A

But D trips the fuse board every time I switch it on. I checked the wiring a number of times and it's fine. I tried a different double socket and no joy.

Is socket D a step too far? Am I overloading the original socket B?

Any ideas (besides paying a fortune for a registered leccie to call and check :eek:)

Thanks

G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

it's restricted works.. more than a socket addition to circuit

so you'll have to get a REC

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Garvan

Is that something built in to the double socket?

What can the rec do that I can't? What's the secret 😉

G

• Registered Users Posts: 17,092 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Garvan wrote: »
    Is that something built in to the double socket?

What can the rec do that I can't? What's the secret 😉

G

I believe that you are being told that It is illegal for you to do this. I'm pretty sure you are being told that you need a reci carted electrician (rec)
    If it is illegal for you to do it I don't believe anyone here will help you.

a qualified electrician can't even do this legally now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Yes it is illegal these days.And since you are tripping your MCB with your handy work it's also unwise as it appears you have little idea what you're doing.You'll be needing a Registered Electrical Contractor.

• Advertisement

Yeah. I know there's regs in place. It's madness all the same.

I couldn't handle paying a guy €100 for 10 mins work when I can do it for free.

Thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

What is tripping? The MCB or the RCD? If the mcb trips you have a dead short most likely, if the RCD trips its an imbalance between live and neutral. There is a leak to earth somewhere along the line...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yeah. I know there's regs in place. It's madness all the same.

I couldn't handle paying a guy €100 for 10 mins work when I can do it for free.

Thanks anyway
    Yea, 10 minutes to add 3 new sockets. Must be them new wireless ones you just screw to the wall.

What is tripping? The MCB or the RCD? If the mcb trips you have a dead short most likely, if the RCD trips its an imbalance between live and neutral. There is a leak to earth somewhere along the line...

Thanks. It's the mcb!

G

Bruthal wrote: »
    Yea, 10 minutes to add 3 new sockets. Must be them new wireless ones you just screw to the wall.

You have them too????

By 10 minutes I meant wiring one socket when the cut out and feed is already there.

I didn't realise we were being pedantic tonight!?!?!?! Come on!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Are they the new apple ones?

Are they the new apple ones?

iSocket ™

I cannot see how you have a short in you new cable, did you drive a cable clip nail through the cable maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Ya these magic sockets that don't take any time or effort too do!!

OP get a professional your neither competent enough too, A. Do the installation and B.rectify any problem that arises!

Op says the breaker trips when D is switched on.

What do you mean by that?

Is what he is plugging into it faulty?

Op says the breaker trips when D is switched on.

What do you mean by that?

If any of the other sockets are switched on there's no problem. It's only the last socket in the chain that's the issue. 😯

If any of the other sockets are switched on there's no problem. It's only the last socket in the chain that's the issue. 😯

So when you switch on the switches on the socket itself, the MCB trips, with nothing plugged into it?

What are you plugging into socket d?

If you connect neutrals into earth, and earths into neutral on one socket on a circuit, everything works until something is plugged into the wrongly connected socket. This then trips RCD.

• Advertisement

So when you switch on the switches on the socket itself, the MCB trips, with nothing plugged into it?

No. I'm using a desk lamp to test the (switched) sockets. I plug that in to each socket and it's fine.

I get to the last socket, plug in the lamp, switch it on and the mcb trips.

If I just switch the socket on and off it's fine too. The mcb does not trip. Sound weird????

G

If you connect neutrals into earth, and earths into neutral on one socket on a circuit, everything works until something is plugged into the wrongly connected socket. This then trips RCD.

must be that so if he's using a test lamp

Is socket D wired incorrectly?

No. I'm using a desk lamp to test the (switched) sockets. I plug that in to each socket and it's fine.

I get to the last socket, plug in the lamp, switch it on and the mcb trips.

If I just switch the socket on and off it's fine too. The mcb does not trip. Sound weird????

G
    I'd say you connected earth wires into neutral terminal of that socket so. And vice versa.

Is socket D wired incorrectly?

Post 21 describes a way that it happens. RCD only trips when something plugged into the actual incorrectly wired socket.

he's gone off to check

1 minute job..

I'd say you connected earth wires into neutral terminal of that socket so. And vice versa.

I thought the same so I checked and rechecked but no joy.

I reckon a visit to Specsavers and buying a can of "The bleedin obvious" followed by a call to a reci is my only solution now ;-)

Thanks for all the help fellas

G

he's gone off to check

1 minute job..

1 minute will rewire the circuit first fix.

I thought I remember seeing a socket before where the internal bars were clashing. Was happening when something was plugged in. Maybe I dreamt it up or something.

I thought the same so I checked and rechecked but no joy.

I reckon a visit to Specsavers and buying a can of "The bleedin obvious" followed by a call to a reci is my only solution now ;-)

Thanks for all the help fellas

G

Check the socket immediately before the problem one as well, that earths and neutrals are not mixed up leaving the socket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

Swap the face plate with one that u know is good to rule out the socket and see if the problem moves, if it doent then its defo a wiring issue.....

Advertisement