Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query re car insurance

Options
  • 09-06-2014 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

It's states on my car insurance that I can drive other cars that does not belong to me... Does that mean I can drive other cars that does not have insurance at all on them.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Usually there has to be a current policy on the car that you wish to drive, and that car cannot be owned by you. It may vary slightly from company to company.

This has been covered in the Motors forum a few times.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90474345
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90671444

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭skippyman

Fey! wrote: »
    Usually there has to be a current policy on the car that you wish to drive, and that car cannot be owned by you. It may vary slightly from company to company.

This has been covered in the Motors forum a few times.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90474345
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90671444

thanks for that..very complicated it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Fey! wrote: »

No Irish insurance company imposes the restriction that the car has to have it's own policy in order to be covered when you drive it under the 'driving other cars' clause of your own policy.

As long as you don't own it, have the owner's permission and you have a 'driving other cars' clause in your policy, you are covered to drive it.

It gets repeated here time and time again, that doesn't make it true.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Not a Consumer Issue, moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

Coylemj is correct.

however, make sure you read your policy as some insurers EXCLUDE cars owned by partners/spouses!

Also, remember you only have THIRD PARTY cover whilst driving the other car, irrespective of the cover on your own car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

ravima wrote: »
    Coylemj is correct.

Thank you for your affirmation.
    however, make sure you read your policy as some insurers EXCLUDE cars owned by partners/spouses!

To add to this point, I spotted a clause in my Axa policy a while back which said that I was not covered driving a car which was owned by or under a lease to my employer. At work we were told that only company car drivers were covered to drive company cars i.e. simply being an employee of the company didn't get us cover so only people who already had a company car would be covered on the policy if they borrowed another company car.

Given this restriction and the restriction in my own Axa policy, this meant that I could not borrow a company car from a colleague since neither my employer's policy nor my own policy would cover me.
    Also, remember you only have THIRD PARTY cover whilst driving the other car, irrespective of the cover on your own car.

Some companies do give you fully comp on driving other cars. In my case, Axa gives me fully comp cover when driving other cars as a bonus for having a good record and they also use it to hold on to my business as I believe nobody gets this by asking for it, it's a discretionary bonus. The cover used to be limited to cars under two litres, it's now limited by the value of the car so they're telling me these days that the cover is limited to 50K.

Advertisement