Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This might be it....

Options
  • 09-06-2014 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭

I signed up for marathon series about three months ago when I turned 39 thinking I'd like to do a marathon before I'm 40. I haven't been running regularly but am fairly active walking. Just back from a week of camino in North of Spain and covered 128k in 5 days no pains or strains (I'm amazed!). I'm pretty sure I won't be able for marathon in October but I'm going to train towards it anyway, even if I walk some. I did the race series 3 years ago as far as Half. Haven't done much since then. Went out tonight to see how far I could go jogging very slowly and managed 3.5 mile which I'm delighted with :) Took me about 45 minutes though. But still thrilled my legs carried me that far. I was shattered at the end.

I'm going to follow Hal Higdon's Novice marathon plan for the moment distance wise but may have to do some walking instead of jogging to stay safe and injury free.

Last time I did race series I recorded it here on boards and it really helped motivate me, so I'm back for more.....

Week 1 Plan: 3 x 3 mile runs
    1 x 4 mile run

Week 1 Day 1

Aim : 3 mile jog
    Result: 3.5 mile jog ( 45 minutes ish)
    Legs feeling stiff and like jelly at the end, see how I feel tomorrow!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

There's a thread over on the athletics board for Novice marathon runners and a lot will be following HH, might interest you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Did one more 3.5 mile after 2 days after that last post.

Have reconsidered going for the whole marathon and Im going to train for Half now in Dublin 20th September.

Thanks Dee I think Ive posted in the wrong forum. Can a mod move me? Thanks!

Didnt do any running last week. Three excuses: sister in law ill in hosp; heat; world cup. Main excuse: making too many excuses.

Back out today AND visited sis in law, was really hot, watching world cup. So everything can be done :)

3 miles this afternoon. Feeling very hot but good. A little tightness around the hips.

Will go for 2 miles tomorrow and back up to 3 wed.

Following Hal Higdon novice half plan which officially starts next week :)

2 miles tonight. Im tight on the upper legs / hips but good.

Number arrived for 5 mile in phoenix park on sat.

Will try 3 miles tomorrow

And jog/ walk 5 mile on sat

Just under 3.5 miles just done. No idea of time - def less than 45 mins

Tight but not as tight. Rhythm is perfect for me.

Im going to do the Irish Runner 5 mile on Sat. Water station is located at just after 3 mile. Plan is to jog to there. Walk till 4 mile and try and jog last mile. Looking forward to it now

5 mile - 55.10

Managed to jog the whole 5 miles at the Irish Runner 5 mile today. First race since 2011 and the aim was just to finish it. I was secretly hoping to get to the finish line in under an hour. And I made it at 55.10!! :D Delighted with that. Huge boost for me and I have that buzz back again. I'm actually thinking I can do this Half Marathon now ....and I've managed further than I need to on the Hal Higdon Plan

• Advertisement
Advertisement