Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd hand book stores dublin?

Options
  • 09-06-2014 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Im new to dublin and would like some feed back on the different second hand book stores,
    What there prices like,selections like etc....
    Your past experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Chapters has the largest selection by far although there's some concerning reports on here of their customer care of late - I've never experienced any issues myself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

There's a tiny hidden record and book shop just off Grafton Street, as you walk towards Clarendon Street. Interesting little place.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Not a Consumer Issue, moved to Dublin City

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

There's a tiny place at the end of Parnell St just before it goes on to Capel St it seems to mostly have Irish books.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭macfran

Some charity shops have a great selection of books.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Chapters are brilliant for second hand books. Priced very cheaply, too.

I've never had any issues with the staff, although some people say they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

As well as chapters, Oxfam has a books only shop on Parliament Street. There's a really nice shop out in Ranelagh as well... And if you're ever out in Dalkey at the weekend, there is a shop I'm the tea yard that sells all their books for €3.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Charity shop on liffey st has great selection starting at 1 euro each.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Greens used to be excellent sadly it is gone now.
    Chapters is the biggest but not a quaint little 2nd book shop.
    There is one on Abbey Street, beside SuperMacs O'Connell St.,
    Bargain Books or something.
    There is one off Wicklow Street as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

There's a budget bookshop on grafton st and another round the corner on dawson st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Afroshack wrote: »
    There's a tiny hidden record and book shop just off Grafton Street, as you walk towards Clarendon Street. Interesting little place.

This is on Wicklow Street. Some interesting finds there.

As mentioned, Oxfam on Parliament Street and Chapters are both good.

Doesn't Hodges Figgis have a bargain basement? Not the same thing as second hand, but not bad all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I love wandering through second hand book shops. However, I found Oxfam's book shop in Parliament Street more expensive than the other charity shops, though if I find something I really want I will pay the price as it goes to charity, but sometimes the price is just too high for me. I like to go up to Rathmines there are three charity shops there, I think its Oxfam, Barnardos, and Vincent de Paul is further up the road.

Advertisement