Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desperate in Boston

Options
  • 09-06-2014 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Anyone got a tip on where to look for a job in the Boston area for a student on a J1. Pounding the pavements at the moment with no luck .... pointers would be helpful. Looking for something that will keep a roof over my head, something legit obviously!!

TKS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Are you trying restaurants, pubs, bars etc etc? Don't let lack of experience put you off applying, if you don't have any. Lots of restaurants like to hire inexperienced people, as they can train you in their way of doing things, as opposed to you bring a set way of doing things from another job.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭lurker2000

Thanks proud Dub....ye trying all of them....pounding the pavements.... the only way it up ! or home :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Teeks

Try the prudential centre (think thats what its called), theres a supermarket there called Shaws. A couple of us got jobs in there and none of us had any previous experience. Money wasn't fantastic or anything but it kept us going for a few months.

Will do thanks !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Take yourself out to the Greenhills Bakery on Adams St in Dorchester. A lot of tradesmen pick people up there in the mornings. Take the Red Line to Ashmont-it's a 5-10 min walk from there. I'd be out there for 6 am. I know a bunch of people who got work that way in the past

How about the Carts selling stuff down in Quincy Market or Downtown Crossing? Not big money, but constant work.

Go down to the Marriott long Wharf-a bunch of the sightseeing tours and harbor tours have booths down there selling tickets etc. I recall seeing help wanted signs down there last year

Where are you staying... There's bound to be an Irish pub in the vicinity. Don't be shy about introducing yourself to the staff or customers-tell them that you're just out, looking for work etc.Everyone has been in the same boat at some point so I'd me more than surprised if anyone turned their back on you

Also-take a trip out to Canton to the Cultural Center-they play games midweek and also on the weekend. You can take the train to Canton Center and would have to grab a cab from there. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding so done to give you a lift back into town

• Advertisement

Thanks for all that Whitey1. Its really helpful and much appreciated !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭franglan

Teeks wrote: »
    Try the prudential centre (think thats what its called), theres a supermarket there called Shaws. A couple of us got jobs in there and none of us had any previous experience. Money wasn't fantastic or anything but it kept us going for a few months.

I also worked in Shaws! Try there mate!

Tks all, gainful employment has been achieved ! Phew !

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

lurker2000 wrote: »
    Tks all, gainful employment has been achieved ! Phew !

Congrats....now go have yourself a phenomenal summer

whitey1 wrote: »
    Congrats....now go have yourself a phenomenal summer

Roughly where has gainful employ been had?

• Advertisement

In a bar near the harbour .... ..Can't say more but pay is keeps the roof over the head ! I appreciate all the advice given, paddy's of the world unite !...tks again .

Congrats! Enjoy it matey

Advertisement