Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More UEFA bans

• 09-06-2014 10:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

UEFA have banned more clubs from the CL and Europe cup. The most high profile team being FK Crvena Zvezda a former winner and a ground I visited not so long ago for a CL game myself.

http://www.uefa.org/disciplinary/news/newsid=2114180.html

Also excluded for the moment but with the right of appeal in the Europa cup are a few Turkish clubs. Ironically the clubs below them in the Turkish league are also excluded due to match fixing and those below them dont have a UEFA licence.

http://www.uefa.org/disciplinary/news/newsid=2114295.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

What's the knock-on effect to the other teams in the competition, if there are no teams from Turkey in the Europa League? Will everyone below be bumped up a place? Or will they have the draw as normal and give byes to teams that would otherwise have drawn them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭patmac

Funny how City and PSG didn't get banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

UEFA have banned more clubs from the CL and Europe cup. The most high profile team being FK Crvena Zvezda a former winner and a ground I visited not so long ago for a CL game myself.

http://www.uefa.org/disciplinary/news/newsid=2114180.html

Also excluded for the moment but with the right of appeal in the Europa cup are a few Turkish clubs. Ironically the clubs below them in the Turkish league are also excluded due to match fixing and those below them dont have a UEFA licence.

http://www.uefa.org/disciplinary/news/newsid=2114295.html

So a team that has actually won the competition and has a history in it, Crvena Zvezda, get banned but City and PSG, who have neither, don't?

Makes a mockery of Platini saying a few years back he wanted a more inclusive competition with the old Eastern European heavyweights back in the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Really hope there are more bans and it works in favour of the LOI teams . There was a team that made it in to the Europa league a couple of seasons back as one of the Turkish teams were banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

patmac wrote: »
    Funny how City and PSG didn't get banned.

Wait till ye hear this
    Boost for Man City: UEFA gen sec has confirmed to me FFP rule-breakers City/PSG will only need 5 home-grown players in 21-man CL squad not 8

Softening what was already a very soft punishment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Not that I think the FFP rules are going to be effective, but aren't people comparing apples to oranges when comparing City and PSG's punishments to these ones. Aren't the Turkish team banned for not paying bills/debts? That's rather more serious than what PSG and City were punished for.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Pro. F wrote: »
    Not that I think the FFP rules are going to be effective, but aren't people comparing apples to oranges when comparing City and PSG's punishments to these ones. Aren't the Turkish team banned for not paying bills/debts? That's rather more serious than what PSG and City were punished for.

Exactly. Same as Malaga last season, before FFP was in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The reducement of home grown players renders the ban pretty useless to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Pro. F wrote: »

The Turkish teams were banned for fixing games. Red Star were banned for not paying money owed. A complaint was made to UEFA.

Advertisement