Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eau De Shannon

• 09-06-2014 10:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭

A smell of rotten sewerage was there in the ballycasey area today, what in God's name is it? I thought they took care of it last year but obviously not!

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Quite a few people giving out about it on facebook actually. I hadn't noticed it myself, but I wasn't out of the house yesterday evening. Seems we should be reporting it to Irish water. Was wondering was it silage myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭black & white

Huge difference in the smell of sewage and silage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Huge difference in the smell of sewage and silage.

Not my neighbours silage :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭NinetyForNone

slurry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Figerty

Not surry and not silage.. There is a sewerage works near by though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

MarkR wrote: »
    Quite a few people giving out about it on facebook actually. I hadn't noticed it myself, but I wasn't out of the house yesterday evening. Seems we should be reporting it to Irish water. Was wondering was it silage myself.

Wouldn't be silage - gives off a rather sweet smell - sounds more like the dreaded slurry from all the grossly EU subsidised, pollution manufacturing, slatted sheds which have sprung up all over the place! Thanks EU for polluting our water-courses & then fining us for doing it!

Got it the wrong way around. Before the slatted sheds there was way more pollution. how many fish kills have you heard of since 2008? The smell of slurry isn't pleasant I agree but it's natural manure being spread.

I pass Ballycasey every working day and the smell there is 100% not slurry. It's more of a stale chemical smell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭dmc17

Figerty wrote: »
    Got it the wrong way around. Before the slatted sheds there was way more pollution. how many fish kills have you heard of since 2008? The smell of slurry isn't pleasant I agree but it's natural manure being spread.

I pass Ballycasey every working day and the smell there is 100% not slurry. It's more of a stale chemical smell.

Yes, it smells like a stink bomb or rotten egg. Definitely not slurry.

Jim Martin wrote: »
    Wouldn't be silage - gives off a rather sweet smell -

Yes it should .... but not all does ... and no I am not attempting to say the smell in Shannon is from silage ;)

I have one neighbour who seems to manage to make 'sour' silage, year after year, while others make 'sweet' silage. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

I've experienced the smell all around the country. Dublin meath and kildare particularly bad. I'm finding. Has to be something cause not just the farmers.

• Advertisement

Sorry, you're very wrong there! Slurry is way more polluting than the old muck-spreading, it's much more concentrated & there's so many problems with run-off now!

Sorry, you're very wrong there! Slurry is way more polluting than the old muck-spreading, it's much more concentrated & there's so many problems with run-off now!

Badly designed and managed slurry pit,silage pits, and run offs were a major problem. Most of them are abated at this stage I'm sure there are few out these still but it's not nearly as bad as it was.

If you want to have a look at where pollution comes from these days,, find out how many towns and villages have proper treatment plant... I'd say you will find more problems there than on farms at this stage. Has Shannon Airport stopped pumping directly into the Shannon???

http://toomuchslurry.co.uk/news/?oo=0

Let this be a warning to us! This man has 2,000 cows which take 4hrs to milk 3 TIMES a day on a carousel which holds 80 cows & milks them in an average of 8 mins per cow - then thy're put out in a shed to stand/lay on sand - they never go out into a field! When a cow calves, the calf is taken away from her 8 hrs after birth so that they don't become attached to each other! However many tonnes of slurry do they have to get rid of?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b046j433

3000 people used to work in Dell a day, some never saw daylight (joking)... every one of them went to the toilet...Human pathogens are for more dangerous.

But you have a point, I agree.

I don't agree with cows never getting out of the shed. On grass fed systems the cows do come it. I can tell you that in November my cows run into the shed and more or less refuse to leave if the weather is bad.

Of course when they do leave they tend to deposit the slurry on the field directly where ever they choose.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Human waster is normally put through proper sewerage systems to water treatment centres so not really a fair comparison.

And by the way, the number would have been closer to 4000 I'd imagine, there's still over a 1000 there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I feel as though my point has been lost... The problem is that there is a horrific smell in the Shannon town area and nobody knows what it is, furthermore how could Irish water help?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Here we go again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

I feel as though my point has been lost... The problem is that there is a horrific smell in the Shannon town area and nobody knows what it is, furthermore how could Irish water help?

Kind of like smell of a wet washing machine with wet dirty clothes left in it for the weekend?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

A company based in shannon has previously being responsible for strange smells due to leaks from its plant...they denied it for years until they got caught by epa.
    They also changed their name to avoid the bad press when named and shamed....
    One wonders!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

From a news article
    "An EPA investigation revealed that a
    pharmaceutical company was the source of the
    smell at the time and in 2003 it took action
    against the firm"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

The County Council ain't touching this one with a barge pole.

You'd think that with the amount of media outlets in the county including
    Clare FM
    The Clare Champion
    The Clare People
    The Clare Herald
    and various freebie/giveaway newspapers, including in Shannon, not to mention the booming and illustrious Journalism School at UL which is churning out investigative-hungry graduates every year, that the source of the stink would identified by now and the situation remedied.

Ah, but sure, no. Best stick with what they know best. Keeping their heads down and not upsetting anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Tony Mulcahy has put the blame for the smell on a local company who he named. It's in the Clare Champion today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

It smells like drains. We had it coming up the sink and bath plug holes this morning and had to put the stoppers in both the bath and sink to keep the smell out. I don't know who or what is to blame and tbh I really don't care so long as the problem is fixed. It can't be healthy to be inhaling the stench of whatever it is. I've noticed it tends to be worse in extremes of weather, like dry spells or when we have a lot of rain.

It smells like drains. We had it coming up the sink and bath plug holes this morning and had to put the stoppers in both the bath and sink to keep the smell out. I don't know who or what is to blame and tbh I really don't care so long as the problem is fixed. It can't be healthy to be inhaling the stench of whatever it is. I've noticed it tends to be worse in extremes of weather, like dry spells or when we have a lot of rain.

That is odd ...... surely the water in the 'U'/'S' bend should stop any smells rising ......... unless the 'U'/'S' bends were dry in which case running the water to fill them should have stopped the problem

That is odd ...... surely the water in the 'U'/'S' bend should stop any smells rising ......... unless the 'U'/'S' bends were dry in which case running the water to fill them should have stopped the problem

I don't know really. That would have been about 5am when we noticed it. Usually we'd just put some bleach down the plug holes. It can't be healthy having the odours coming into the house though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Make a complaint to the Clare County Council and the EPA, and ask them to look into it. That's ridiculous carry-on. I would be mighty peeved-off if that was my home.

I don't know really. That would have been about 5am when we noticed it. Usually we'd just put some bleach down the plug holes. It can't be healthy having the odours coming into the house though.

It's very unlikely the smell would leave the air and come up the toilet. You could, of course be unlucky. Hate to say it but it could be something in your own drain line. Could be a dead mouse or something or just with the dry weather causing bacteria to smell.

That still doesn't excuse the smell around on Shannon.

It's very unlikely the smell would leave the air and come up the toilet. You could, of course be unlucky. Hate to say it but it could be something in your own drain line. Could be a dead mouse or something or just with the dry weather causing bacteria to smell.

That still doesn't excuse the smell around on Shannon.

It's defininitely not something in our own drain line. It's the same odour that's outdoors and it's only there when the odour is outdoors. It's odd really but thankfully it's not a constant thing and for some reason it only affects the bathroom and not the kitchen sink.

It's defininitely not something in our own drain line. It's the same odour that's outdoors and it's only there when the odour is outdoors. It's odd really but thankfully it's not a constant thing and for some reason it only affects the bathroom and not the kitchen sink.

If the 'S'/'U' bends in the piping are fitted and are full of water, then it is highly unlikely that the smell is entering there.

It is a possibility that those bends could be dry ..... maybe something causing a vacuum on the outlet pulling the water out and allowing air in.
    In that case it would be most likely air from your own drains which would smell the same as from any other drain ..... which seems to be the consensus of the source of the Shannon smell.

• Advertisement

If the 'S'/'U' bends in the piping are fitted and are full of water, then it is highly unlikely that the smell is entering there.

It is a possibility that those bends could be dry ..... maybe something causing a vacuum on the outlet pulling the water out and allowing air in.
    In that case it would be most likely air from your own drains which would smell the same as from any other drain ..... which seems to be the consensus of the source of the Shannon smell.

I don't really know what it is. These houses would be over 40 years old and close to the pumphouse.

Advertisement