Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hobbies

• 09-06-2014 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

I used to only have one main hobby which was computer game playing but over the past three years I took up a range of different hobbies like:
    Jigsaws
    Colouring
    Cross stitching
    Knitting

My favourite is knitting. I did a little bit of it in school a long time ago and enjoyed it a lot and took it up last year and since then I learned so much and work on making loads. Knitting relaxes me so much.

Colouring in books might appear to be childish but I can assure you it's not. There are colouring books available for adults like mandala designs. Also celtic art colouring books. I find it very therapeutic. This is a newspaper article from last week about colouring:
    http://www.calgaryherald.com/mobile/story.html?id=9901606 Colouring is going down a storm in France.

It's been ages since I played a game on the computer and longer since I made a jigsaw. I might take a break from the knitting and play a game or make a jigsaw sometime.

Do you have much hobbies and what are they?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

I thought hobbies were for local boffins. :)

I prefer more open-ended activities - maybe because my brain works in jigsaw mode all day, I prefer to daydream when I'm free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I like to work with ponies in my spare time.

Love me a hobby horse so I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Wine tasting is my hobby:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I have a wide and varied range of intersting and stimulating hobbies.

Fcuk, six thousand posts here in a year, who am I trying to kid? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

surfing, gym, walking I love crafts at the moment trying (failing so far) to crochet mandala but I will fecking do it if it be the last thing I do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Drawing/painting
    Listening to music/playing guitar
    Reading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Hobbies ^____^

Badminton
    Jogging
    Hillwalking/Hiking
    Drawing
    Scrapbooking
    A bit of reading when the mood takes me.
    Gym Yeah right!!
    Boards - seeing as I spend copious amounts of time on it. :P

I'm impartial to a bit of swimming but don't do it often enough to call it a hobby. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Sketching/painting, music/gigs, that's the boring stuff for CVs.

My actual hobbies that I do all the time would be pc gaming, internet, people watching and binge-watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I have a full time job and also two terrorists toddlers.

Nuff said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

binge watching?

--LOS-- wrote: »
    Sketching/painting, music/gigs, that's the boring stuff for CVs.

My actual hobbies that I do all the time would be pc gaming, internet, people watching and binge-watching.

Damn, I forgot creeping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

caustic 1 wrote: »
    binge watching?

Ye TV series, movies, documentaries

Being so dedicated that you could pride yourself on finishing an entire series in a weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I took up knitting and crochet a couple of years ago and I really enjoy them. It's nice to have something to do with my hands because I find just watching telly very boring. I play the odd video game too; working my way through Arkham Origins over the last few weeks.

I'd love to take up cross stitch but it takes too much concentration for me to be able to do it in front of the telly, and himself insists on having the room as dimly lit as possible in the evenings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Cycling
    Reading
    Gaming
    Forums
    Yoga

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Fishing
    photography
    choral singing
    hiking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Cyberstalking
    Swing dancing
    Buying weird sh!t on ebay
    Playing bagpipes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

BASE jumping
    Wingsuit flying
    Free rock climbing (no ropes)
    Parkour
    Potholing
    Compulsive lying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Shooting...clay pigeons and benchrest.

A Song of Ice and Fire/GoT..I read the books, watch the show, collect some figures and I have a replica sword from it.

Gaming..a bit now and again..only the MGS/GTA/AC series really. Bit of COD for the single player.

Then the usual stuff..reading, music etc. I used to play football but I had an operation a few years ago ago, stopped while I was recovering and never went back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

Polishing rocks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Basketball
    Bit of video games
    Poker

i can't believe nobody has said masturbating yet.....

Am I really in AH? :confused: *pinches self to be sure*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

beano345 wrote: »
    Polishing rocks

Agent Hank Schrader is running a deep cover operation here it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

maguic24 wrote: »
    i can't believe nobody has said masturbating yet.....

Am I really in AH? :confused: *pinches self to be sure*

Not a hobby. It's a need.

Not a hobby. It's a need.

Oooooooooohhhhhhh. Gotcha. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Homebrewing, RC planes/FPV, messing with orbital mechanics (via Kerbal Space Program), a bit of painting, cooking etc. I don't count reading as a hobby because it's instinct to have a book wherever I go. About the only time I don't read is when I'm having sex.

After December my main hobby will be preventing the destruction of the universe by a marauding newborn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Rugby - both playing and watching
    Football - play the odd 7 a side and watch it too.
    Gym - Go about 3 times a week.
    Golf - love to get a few rounds in the summer.
    Reading - go through phases of reading loads to months without reading anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

beano345 wrote: »
    Polishing rocks

For Christ's sake Marie, they're minerals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I prefer vague interests.

Hobby is always a bit of a tyrannical term to me. Like something 70s Boy Scouts were forced to do: stamp collecting, model railways or trainspotting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

I love to hit the golf course at least twice a week, and have been chipping away (if you'll pardon the pun) at my handicap. Now play off 5.

When I was standing on one of the tee's in my local club I would spot the kitesurfers doing their thing just off the beach. It looked fascinating. So I did a few lessons and became hooked. Some of the participants tend to be crusties, but it's great fun. I'm becoming fairly competent at it these days.

Received a gift of a week long cooking course in Ballymaloe. Now love to cook. I'm not as liberal with the butter and cheese as the teachers in Ballymaloe, but I've never had complaints about the quality of the things I rustle up.

Have a bit of a thing for large robust red wines from Southern Italy at the moment. That's not some much a hobby as an excuse to have a glass or two of wine though! The main thing I've discovered so far is that you don't really get a decent wine for less than €15-20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

I used to only have one main hobby which was computer game playing but over the past three years I took up a range of different hobbies like:
    Jigsaws
    Colouring
    Cross stitching
    Knitting

My favourite is knitting. I did a little bit of it in school a long time ago and enjoyed it a lot and took it up last year and since then I learned so much and work on making loads. Knitting relaxes me so much.

Colouring in books might appear to be childish but I can assure you it's not. There are colouring books available for adults like mandala designs. Also celtic art colouring books. I find it very therapeutic. This is a newspaper article from last week about colouring:
    http://www.calgaryherald.com/mobile/story.html?id=9901606 Colouring is going down a storm in France.

It's been ages since I played a game on the computer and longer since I made a jigsaw. I might take a break from the knitting and play a game or make a jigsaw sometime.

Do you have much hobbies and what are they?

I go through stages.

But here are some...I practise to varying degrees.

Running.

Dance.

Violin /Guitar/singing

Drawing /painting/art /digital art (my mother runs a graphic design business which I help in so it ties in).

Animals.

Poker/chess/RPG (though have not RPGed in a while)

Drama/mime/ theatre (have not done in a while to love it)

Writing ( I sometimes write articles and sell them and I edit and write copy I hope to get more published and a book one day).
    Gym sometimes...other classes there.

Nature /walking

Listen to music /seeing theatre music live.

That's a lot ...but I go through periods where I do one more etc

Running and dance I keep.

People go through phases.

I used to ride horses ..now only occasionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

Hunting, brewing beer & restoring motorcycles

reading, writing, singing (classical and 'normal' now) the occasional bout of skyrim, running, lifting, swing dancing when I get the chance
    If I had time I'd play my cello and get a piano again... oh well!

Oh and baking. Baking ALL the things!

Lou.m wrote: »
    I go through stages.

But here are some...I practise to varying degrees.

Running.

Dance.

Violin /Guitar/singing

Drawing /painting/art /digital art (my mother runs a graphic design business which I help in so it ties in).

Animals.

Poker/chess/RPG (though have not RPGed in a while)

Drama/mime/ theatre (have not done in a while to love it)

Writing ( I sometimes write articles and sell them and I edit and write copy I hope to get more published and a book one day).
    Gym sometimes...other classes there.

Nature /walking

Listen to music /seeing theatre music live.

That's a lot ...but I go through periods where I do one more etc

Running and dance I keep.

People go through phases.

I used to ride horses ..now only occasionally.

lol
    Yes, check

hello :D
    Haven't done any drawing in ages. Or chess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

bluewolf wrote: »
    reading, writing, singing (classical and 'normal' now) the occasional bout of skyrim, running, lifting, swing dancing when I get the chance
    If I had time I'd play my cello and get a piano again... oh well!

Oh and baking. Baking ALL the things!

lol
    Yes, check

hello :D
    Haven't done any drawing in ages. Or chess

I knew I liked you :D

Although I would need to work on the lifting. Very good for women though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

socializin lol

• Advertisement

Magaggie wrote: »
    socializin lol

Being a stunnah 2K14. OMG YOLO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

Fcuk, six thousand posts here in a year, who am I trying to kid? :p

amateur.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

Pints and a few games of pool.
    Over pints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Reading
    Fishing
    Kayaking
    Archery
    Darts (in the pub of course)
    Playing guitar (badly)
    Sitting outside daydreaming when the weather is nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Magaggie wrote: »
    socializin lol
    maguic24 wrote: »
    Being a stunnah 2K14. OMG YOLO!
    Being a full-time mad bastard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

FanadMan wrote: »
    Reading
    Fishing
    Kayaking
    Archery
    Darts (in the pub of course)
    Playing guitar (badly)
    Sitting outside daydreaming when the weather is nice

I am mightily impressed by the archery, though I can daydream in all weathers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I've been living in Germany for the past number of years, so am lucky enough to be within driving distance of a number of fine ski resorts. My passion is now for off-piste skiing. Germany resorts don't tend to attract the type of Irish and British ski tourist who consider drinking 10 pints of strong lager an essential part of the après-ski experience.

I'm an enthusiastic, if limited, dilettante of playing the piano. While I'll never be performing with the Berlin Philharmonic I'm able to knock out a relatively wide range of numbers if we have guests over for dinner.

While I'd consider myself fluent in German, I still consider it a hobby to work out some of the regional slang and dialects, especially the Low Saxon dialects.

I still love to read. I do most of my reading in English, preferring to read in the native language of the author, rather than in a hurried translation into German.

I've been living in Germany for the past number of years, so am lucky enough to be within driving distance of a number of fine ski resorts. My passion is now for off-piste skiing. Germany resorts don't tend to attract the type of Irish and British ski tourist who consider drinking 10 pints of strong lager an essential part of the après-ski experience.

I'm an enthusiastic, if limited, dilettante of playing the piano. While I'll never be performing with the Berlin Philharmonic I'm able to knock out a relatively wide range of numbers if we have guests over for dinner.

While I'd consider myself fluent in German, I still consider it a hobby to work out some of the regional slang and dialects, especially the Low Saxon dialects.

I still love to read. I do most of my reading in English, preferring to read in the native language of the author, rather than in a hurried translation into German.

And on the other hand you can read Das Parfum in its native language :)
    Not quite up to that myself yet I reckon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

No doubt while relaxing on an Italian leather chair, resplendent in your smoking jacket, your monocle occasionally dropping into your fine French brandy when perusing a risqué storyline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭deseil

I have no hobbies but I really think I could get into that running down a hill in an inflatable ball thing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Reading
    Running
    Cycling
    Volleyball
    Model Trains
    Rock Climbing - though have done barely any recently
    Computer Games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Making fingerpuppets from old socks in the dark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

bluewolf wrote: »
    And on the other hand you can read Das Parfum in its native language :)
    Not quite up to that myself yet I reckon...

It's not a book I'd ever have much of a desire to read. If it's as overwrought and turgid as the movie - then it can stay on the bookshop shelf.

I'd recommend Haltet euer Herz bereit: Eine ostdeutsche Familiengeschichte by Maxim Leo. There is a rather excellent translation into English that could be useful if trying to work out context or nuance. If I have any criticism, it's that it tends to portray the East German regime in a rather nostalgic light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

cryptic X words & Hard Sudoko. Keeps the oul brain intact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Martial arts
    Archery
    Video games

• Advertisement
Advertisement