Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turning cracked laptop LED LCD into a wall lamp?

• 09-06-2014 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

So I have a cracked LED LCD panel from my old laptop, and I always thought it looked cool with all the cracks and lines and messed up colours.

My question is, how would I go about lighting it up with a battery so I could mount it on a wall as a weird light? I've tried all the pins on the wire going from the control board on the back to the LED strip at the top but have had no luck... anyone have any ideas on how I can make it light up?

It came from a Dell Studio 1558 and the LCD model is B156XW02.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

Datasheet attached.

If you've being connecting power between pins here and there - especially if the supply was in excess of 4 V - to pins, then there's a good chance you've fried the control electronics.

You'll need a 12 V power supply with a rating of at least 3 W (so 250 mA) to drive the LEDs in the backlight. You'll need a 3.3 V supply (can be from a regulator fed from 12 V supply) to drive the control circuitry.
    You also need some circuitry to tie the V_LED and V_PWM pins high, and to generate the required patterns to turn on the LEDs and to convince the panel to display white (by default it'll be black, I assume).

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

backboiler wrote: »
    Datasheet attached.

If you've being connecting power between pins here and there - especially if the supply was in excess of 4 V - to pins, then there's a good chance you've fried the control electronics.

You'll need a 12 V power supply with a rating of at least 3 W (so 250 mA) to drive the LEDs in the backlight. You'll need a 3.3 V supply (can be from a regulator fed from 12 V supply) to drive the control circuitry.
    You also need some circuitry to tie the V_LED and V_PWM pins high, and to generate the required patterns to turn on the LEDs and to convince the panel to display white (by default it'll be black, I assume).

Wow! Cheers for that! Will have a read and hopefully give it a shot over the next few days! I have old PC power supplies up in the shed so should be able to use one of them for the 12v 3A power.

Advertisement