Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ceramic cookware

Options
  • 10-06-2014 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭

I am thinking in investing in some ceramic cookware. Is it worth the money? I was watching Jamie's 15 Minute Meals today and he had a ceramic pan that he used on the hob, then put it in the oven to make dauphinoise potatoes. That's what I have in mind for my first buy. Can anyone recommend a good one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Le Creuset have all shapes and sizes. not cheap though but worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Tk maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I actually happened to be on groupon before I was gonna buy a ceramic set online and saw they had a fantastic deal, a 5 piece cast iron cookware range down for €159, RRP €429, ordered it today am well chuffed!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

Bought one of those pans in Lidl last year. Worst purchase ever. Was useless after about 2 uses

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Bought one of those pans in Lidl last year. Worst purchase ever. Was useless after about 2 uses

Oh really? Glad I didn't get one then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

Got some in TK Maxx to try before we invest in Le Creuset. A really good investment. It has surprisingly made s big difference to the way we cook.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I bought one of them from Lidl recently and have been using it non-stop since and find it great. Very little oil needed when cooking, good heat distribution and so easy to clean. Only downside is that it's not oven proof but couldn't afford to buy a decent one at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

The pan problem, I recently bought a Le Creuset copy, cast iron 200mm/8inch pan primarily for omelettes... self cleaning, the expansion and contraction of the cast iron breaks away any clinging particles and allows , literally, a wipe clean. easy to use, hob or oven. From TK Max for the very expensive price of £6.49... GBP, Yep, six pounds and forty nine pence

Warming up takes a little longer but good heat retention and the only draw back, the metal hamdle can get hot. If you want to try before investing in Le Creuset, the easy way to go.

LOL being a bit geeky, I checked the heat distribution with an infra red thermometer, no contact, accurate and very easy to use. very good and even spread of heat.

There was a selection of non stick, cast iron and enameled pots and pans... well worth a look before investing in Le Creuset

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Oblomov wrote: »
    The pan problem, I recently bought a Le Creuset copy, cast iron 200mm/8inch pan primarily for omelettes... self cleaning, the expansion and contraction of the cast iron breaks away any clinging particles and allows , literally, a wipe clean. easy to use, hob or oven. From TK Max for the very expensive price of £6.49... GBP, Yep, six pounds and forty nine pence

Warming up takes a little longer but good heat retention and the only draw back, the metal hamdle can get hot. If you want to try before investing in Le Creuset, the easy way to go.

LOL being a bit geeky, I checked the heat distribution with an infra red thermometer, no contact, accurate and very easy to use. very good and even spread of heat.

There was a selection of non stick, cast iron and enameled pots and pans... well worth a look before investing in Le Creuset

You don't happen to know the make of it do you? Need to get a small pan soon cos old one is wrecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PennyWren

I have 2 of the ceramic pans from heatons and they are excellent. Cook whatever you like and just wipe with kitchen towel afterwards and it's clean.

I did ruin one though, by cooking at too high a temperature so in case there is anyone else that didn't know, use a lower temp than you usually would! They were pretty cheap too, can't remember exactly but a big one was less than €40. Well worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

The 200mm/8inch cast iron pre seasoned frying pan...

6c9aNP.gif

7tS5sM.gif

and, cast iron pan with it's own wooden serving holder

6PLAxr.gif

Hope that helps.

Advertisement