Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(New) Old games

Options
  • 10-06-2014 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi guys.

I'm starting to get in to gaming again, Loved it in my younger days (late 90s, early 2000) question is can you buy brand new old games anywere? Just like you can buy an old movie brand new on DVD.

I believe the new PlayStation could play PS1 games so thats why I asking or would they have to be bought 2nd hand?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Sony works on PSN...playstation network. On there is a multitude of old PS1 and PS2 games for backwards compatability.
    I know for a fact they work on PS3, however not too sure about PS4.
    Also....I don't know at all about the discs working .

If you do need to buy the discs, you can always go to ebay, amazon etc. Might be a struggle to find 'brand new' copies anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Ps1 discs don't work on ps4...

Yet ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

gog.com sells old PC games that will work on new operating systems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

COYVB wrote: »
    Ps1 discs don't work on ps4...

Yet ;)

Hmmm.....can you talk about the N64 using the Splinter Cell Blacklist example? Were Nintendo planning NES compatibility on the N64 at one point?

Myrddin wrote: »
    Hmmm.....can you talk about the N64 using the Splinter Cell Blacklist example? Were Nintendo planning NES compatibility on the N64 at one point?

Software BC works to a certain extent at the moment, but there are issues with lots of games. It technically works for PS2 titles as well, if you count frame rates of about 5ps as working. If they can get it working almost across the board on PS1 they'll officially push it out in a future update, same for PS2 games.

It's not a priority with PS Now coming though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

COYVB wrote: »
    Software BC works to a certain extent at the moment, but there are issues with lots of games. It technically works for PS2 titles as well, if you count frame rates of about 5ps as working. If they can get it working almost across the board on PS1 they'll officially push it out in a future update, same for PS2 games.

It's not a priority with PS Now coming though

If anything, will PS Now actually halt any active development on this? I mean, why let users do for free what you could charge them for?

Not to the best of my knowledge. I think they know there's probably a decent market for PS Now anyway regardless, while there's little harm from letting people play their older physical copies that they've already bought (if they can get things working right)

Advertisement