Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop really slow

Options
  • 10-06-2014 3:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Lately my laptop's been really slow - sometimes scrolling down pages, or loading videos takes forever, and then (eg, using 4oD, the videos pause a lot after loading/play really slowly so that the dialogue jumps ahead of the 'choppy' video.
    I was using mobile ththering to use internet on my computer until a few weeks ago, now I'm using UPC unlimited, and my computer (on and off the internet - sometimes the cursor is 'loading' as soon as I turn it on, sometimes straight away there's a notice that 'Toshiba service station has stopped working) is just so slow.
    Does anybody have any recommendations for an admittedly not-great-at-computer-stuff frazzled person?
    Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Other that reloading the whole OS, there are some things you can try (assuming Windows):

Download ccleaner and get rid of unnecessary files.
    Use ccleaner to clean the registry.
    Check start-up programs using 'msconfig' and disable those you dont need.
    Defrag your drive.
    Remove unnecessary programs.
    Use the task manager and find out which programs are hogging cpu/mem.

Check out the web for guides including http://www.pcworld.com/article/242306/how_to_optimize_your_windows_pc_for_free.html

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Lundar.

Degsie suggestions are very good.

Also I would suggest trying a different browser, Such as Firefox or Chrome .

Also do a malaware scan as: MalwareBytes

Advertisement