Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I thought the names of the planets and animals were generated aswell?

You find it, you name it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Sony have put up a list of 41 Things You Might Not Know About No Mans Sky on their blog.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015/08/03/41-amazing-things-you-might-not-know-about-no-mans-sky/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Everytime this thread is updated now i cant help but hope its because we have a release date:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

EoinHef wrote: »
    Everytime this thread is updated now i cant help but hope its because we have a release date:(

I can't see it coming out this year. I just hope it's not buggy and everything that is in it works as it should. Some of the bugs they admitted to were actually funny. Like the player respawning as a random animal when you die, the overpowered weapons launching the wildlife into orbit when shot and the gravity on the opposite side of a planet being reversed from the other.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Getting like the HL3 thread now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Yup, just give me the keys to the Universe already.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

nocoverart wrote: »
    Yup, just give me the keys to the Universe already.

Don't you have to join Scientology for that?
    Don't blame me, blame Xenu!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Don't you have to join Scientology for that?
    Don't blame me, blame Xenu!

Xenu at his evil work again I see, a double post by a moderator I never!

skYOFwB.gif

Damn phone posting!

I think it was Sea Org undermining my authority amongst my peeps!

I prefer that they keep pushing it back. Definitely don't want a buggy version to be released.

Also once it's released, I can see myself sinking my whole life into this

Just take this and replace it with No Man's Sky and it's definitely applicable.

The very last frame is NSFW, by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Hmmm, it really looks like there wont be any plot to this at all, I thought they'd have added something by now. I dont stick with plotless games for very long at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Thargor wrote: »
    Hmmm, it really looks like there wont be any plot to this at all, I thought they'd have added something by now. I dont stick with plotless games for very long at all.

I'm not seeing the point of any of this hype... Take something like Spore, obviously a different game but the endgame was just like this in many respects. Lots of different and unique things to discover etc.

Except... it was all boring. Who gives a **** if you're the first to see a procedurally generated fish....

There was never any indication that this game had a plot or was ever going to have one. And if it did it would ruin what it's trying to achieve.

It's an open end exploration sandbox with one goal that you can chose to do or not bother at all.

Anyone wanting locked in structure and plots with CoD type action need to look else where.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Well if that was all that was in the game i would agree,but theres more to it than that.

Game also has ecconomy,trading,crafting,resource gathering,space battles,factions and as pointed out exploration. Thats all i can think of right now.

Looks like this game is going to be what you make it ie no story just a massive open world. Thats not going to be for everybody but i tend to like that type of game. I dont pre order anymore so ill be checking out reviews at launch. As long as its technically sound ill prob pick it up very close to release.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The whole piece about journeying to the center of the galaxy would suggest that there is an over arching narrative there.

It needs something though, endless exploration of procedurally generated content is just dull no matter how shiny it is, it doesnt work.

It needs something though, endless exploration of procedurally generated content is just dull no matter how shiny it is, it doesnt work.

Tell that to Minecraft. It prints money and still is years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Sarn

In Minecraft there are plenty of tools to be creative, with extensive options for crafting, building, designing and using your imagination. It will be interesting to see how deep NMS' options are in trading, resource gathering etc. are.

Ridiculous comparison, go back and take out the multiplayer elements and see how well Minecraft would have sold. the devs have stated that you'll be on your own in NMS 99% of the time.

Ridiculous comparison, go back and take out the multiplayer elements and see how well Minecraft would have sold. the devs have stated that you'll be on your own in NMS 99% of the time.

Well that's just me then because I never really bother with multiplayer in anything. I've yet to find a multiplayer game I actually enjoy and want to come to.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,228 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

That will be up to the players though, plenty will want to get involved in PvP and the like so will congregate in systems in order to do so. These games always end up with unofficial hubs for that sort of activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Well that's just me then because I never really bother with multiplayer in anything. I've yet to find a multiplayer game I actually enjoy and want to come to.

There's a joke in there somewhere..... :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Minecraft has always been a big toybox though, a virtual game of Lego with hundreds of creative avenues. No Mans Sky doesn't seem like it'll have that huge scope for ... messing about really.

There's a joke in there somewhere..... :p

Leisure Suit Larry style...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Any ETA on this yet?

GodlessM wrote: »
    Any ETA on this yet?

Not yet, today a few "surprise August release" rumours started popping up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I still think the game looks great, the planet diversity is so good.

I do get the feeling they are holding off a release date as they are looking at PlaystationVR & Oculus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Varik

tok9 wrote: »

I do get the feeling they are holding off a release date as they are looking at PlaystationVR & Oculus.

Must find that system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

tok9 wrote: »

You didn't find the Corbett quote interesting? "So release date is soon, right? Thats why you're on my show"

I don't remember stuff loading that fast at the E3 presentations. Looks to me like those guys have been working pretty hard on optimisations.

• Advertisement

To me it seems like a game that you will play in small bursts, I think extended lengths of play may get a tad repetitive, still though I am excited for its release, it would be great if it dropped in December, after the 16th of October no games interests me for the rest of the year except for Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Advertisement