Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Yes he did oversell it and lie, but the vitriolic hatred and death threats by the community over it was much worse. Talk about individuals unable to handle reality.

Hmm, I dont recall that. I thought in fact the community were in denial. Claiming its still everything they wanted.

Death threats and hatred was anyone who dared to question NMS pre-launch because it was going to be the best game ever. I also recall NMS fans doxing and DDoSing people like Jim Sterling.

I recall a lot of people giving Sean and Hello games da stick and making fun out of pre-launch lies which was rightfully earned IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Hmm, I dont recall that. I thought in fact the community were in denial. Claiming its still everything they wanted.

Ah cut it out. The gaming community went berserk when it came out. Huge negative ratings on Steam.
    https://g33kp0rn.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/scores.png

The team received death threats
    https://www.pcgamer.com/no-mans-sky-team-has-received-loads-of-death-threats-following-delay/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I remember Gametrailers having this video they they act very weird towards one of the hosts for asking questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Twas strange times indeed. Don't forget the **** Schreier received for reporting on the delay before it was officially announced.

I Got Death Threats For Reporting On A Video Game Delay

The reddit thread in question alternated between hilarious, as per the article and...well, slightly less than funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Death threats and hatred was anyone who dared to question NMS pre-launch because it was going to be the best game ever. I also recall NMS fans doxing and DDoSing people like Jim Sterling.

I recall a lot of people giving Sean and Hello games da stick and making fun out of pre-launch lies which was rightfully earned IMO.

I recall a large amount of the NMS Reddit community going mental over the games launch delays and attacking anyone who disagreed with the mob's views prior to launch. Reddit tho, is a pretty screwed up site with mods deleting legitimate posts at times for little or no reason, so I can't say for sure there weren't any claims to the game having all the promised features Sean claimed were in the game when people finally got their hands on it.

I do remember Hello Games stating someone who got access to an early copy were not playing the final release version (they were) and the person's opinions should be ignored days before the game officially dropped and eveyone found out Sean was telling porkies!

• Advertisement

Venom wrote: »

I do remember Hello Games stating someone who got access to an early copy were not playing the final release version (they were) and the person's opinions should be ignored days before the game officially dropped and eveyone found out Sean was telling porkies!

Thats right. Hours before launch Sean posted a tweet asking people not to spoil the game for themselves by paying attention to the guy that got an early copy.

This for me was the lowest point.

Thats right. Hours before launch Sean posted a tweet asking people not to spoil the game for themselves by paying attention to the guy that got an early copy.

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/761720423256121344
    This for me was the lowest point.

That, and the complete radio silence afterwards. Sean was/is an epic spoofer.

This game put me off pre-orders (mostly). I remember playing this a few nights after launch... mining away trying to convince myself I was having fun. My wife came in and asked how the game was going, that I seemed to be "always shooting rocks with that laser".

Sold the game the next day, before trade-in value tanked (it did).

I have since bought it on the Xbox One X, and I picked up the PS4 version (€5) again to play the unpatched version, just for comparison. It's a far better game than it was at launch. Still not mind blowing, but a nice game to throw on and chill to.

I remember Gametrailers having this video they they act very weird towards one of the hosts for asking questions.

My god, that was a crazy watch. Guys losing their cognitive brain function over the game lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,362 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Ah cut it out. The gaming community went berserk when it came out. Huge negative ratings on Steam.
    https://g33kp0rn.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/scores.png

The team received death threats
    https://www.pcgamer.com/no-mans-sky-team-has-received-loads-of-death-threats-following-delay/

One of those things is perfectly OK. The game was abysmal on release, and that's ignoring the blatant lying that went on beforehand. Slaughtering the game ratings wise - no problems there. Giving out ****e about it online, similarly no problems there.

Death threats, on the other hand, are not OK, and anyone that engages in that sort of thing is a ****ing idiot. Thankfully those are a tiny minority and that's not to take away from how absolutely unacceptable it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The game was abysmal on release...

See, this is where a lot of people disagree. I got over 60 hours on the base release and loved every second of it. It was what I wanted. I didn't have any interest in the MP side of things, so that didn't bother me. I got to experience the vastness of space and the variety of habitable planets. Could they have been busier? Yes. Could there have been more variation? Yes. Space battles I didn't buy into, freighters, etc, none of that bothered me.

I wanted a relaxing space exploration game, and I was far from disappointed and extremely happy with what I got. Yes, Sean shouldn't have lied, but I'm still standing behind pressure from above tied him into saying or not saying stuff, especially confirming what won't be in the game. Any of the videos I've been arsed watching made me think like he wanted to be honest but something was stopping him. What, we'll never know, but it's unfair to solely place the blame on Sean, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

The game wasn't abysmal. I enjoyed it for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

See, this is where a lot of people disagree. I got over 60 hours on the base release and loved every second of it. It was what I wanted. I didn't have any interest in the MP side of things, so that didn't bother me. I got to experience the vastness of space and the variety of habitable planets. Could they have been busier? Yes. Could there have been more variation? Yes. Space battles I didn't buy into, freighters, etc, none of that bothered me.

I wanted a relaxing space exploration game, and I was far from disappointed and extremely happy with what I got. Yes, Sean shouldn't have lied, but I'm still standing behind pressure from above tied him into saying or not saying stuff, especially confirming what won't be in the game. Any of the videos I've been arsed watching made me think like he wanted to be honest but something was stopping him. What, we'll never know, but it's unfair to solely place the blame on Sean, imo.
    This is pretty much my exact experience of the game.
    I thought it was great for around 30 hours. I kept going past that point though because I wanted to see what happened at the center of the universe. It was hugely disappointing but i definitely got my money's worth out of it.

I'll be hopping back in for a look when it gets PSVR support.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    It was hugely disappointing but i definitely got my money's worth out of it.

That bothered me more than the drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Amazed at the legs the debate around this game has. Not saying people should forget just that it still obviously gets people annoyed.

Never bothered with the centre of the galaxy,by the time id got to the point where i was ready to make the journey the info about what happened had already came to light so i didnt bother.

See, this is where more people obviously disliked it and thought it was abysmal than enjoyed it like you. I'm glad you did - on release I did not. I enjyoed it once I got a few mods that changed how the game played and removed the grind, but until that, it wasn't very good at all. Most people obviously lean more toward my point of view, hence the **** review scores on aggregate. And that's fine. People are allowed to like/dislike different things.

For the record, I've gotten my money's worth out of it. I enjoyed the relaxed exploring, once I modded the **** out of it so I didn't have to interminably collect resources.

That doesn't take away from how bad I thought it was on release, particularly compared to what they said would be in it prior to release. Lesson re-learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Just checked GoG and i haven't played it since 2016.

Looking forward to Jumping in and checking it out in VR.

Hope GoG version can run VR that is!

NMS is 50% off on Steam right now, so roughly €28.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/275850/No_Mans_Sky/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

just gone on sale in PSN store for 20eur

JimBurnley wrote: »
    just gone on sale in PSN store for 20eur

Update imminent!

Please!!!!

Pretty good article from today about NMS, and Sean speaking about the lead up, release, the updates and the future.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-06-25-sean-murray-on-no-mans-sky-i-thought-we-were-making-a-niche-game

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I've been playing it for the first time since launch (I liked it at launch, but it was too grindy and completely unfinished narratively).

Its still too grindy.

But the world feels better and while I still feel sometimes like I am driving myself to like the game, while it resists my advances... there are still very cool moments in it and for some reason I'm drawn back to playing it now... Its still probably the most beautiful game I've played. Nothing looks like it.

Its a good game, it can and hopefully will be a great game but they sure took the hard road.

There are mods to remove some of the grind. Such as launch fuels costs down to zero, for example. What inspired that gameplay decision I will never know. I also gave myself infinite money, bought myself the first max inventory ship I came across, which remove the need to collect rare goods, etc.

All in all I turned it into a freeform planet visit game, **** the grind. It's much better that way. It's not a survivial game and shouldn't have been designed as one.

Any update on the VR patch? It's driving me insane.

Apparantly Australia has given classification to it recently, which allegedly means soon™

There are mods to remove some of the grind. Such as launch fuels costs down to zero, for example. What inspired that gameplay decision I will never know. I also gave myself infinite money, bought myself the first max inventory ship I came across, which remove the need to collect rare goods, etc.

All in all I turned it into a freeform planet visit game, **** the grind. It's much better that way. It's not a survivial game and shouldn't have been designed as one.

Can't you just start an explorer mode or whatever it is, that takes out the grind but keeps the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Any update on the VR patch? It's driving me insane.
    August 31st! :P

Somethings happening today at 7pm according to Sean Murray's twitter.

Get ready!

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1157081424522022912

Bah.

It's out August 14th

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I remember this struggling to run well on a flatscreen - did they majorly optimise it for VR?

• Advertisement
Advertisement