Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I think either we'll get it this year as a kinda surprise release, it'll be a VR launch game, or it'll get lost in development hell forever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think either we'll get it this year as a kinda surprise release, it'll be a VR launch game, or it'll get lost in development hell forever.

I have seen little evidence this is any threat of becoming lost in development hell. Ever since it was announced there have been frequent updates, publicity and appearances from the developers. The developers even overcame a legitimate catastrophe - the flooding of their office - while barely breaking a sweat.

This is a massively ambitious game from a tiny studio. I'm sure they've been reluctant to talk a concrete release date because they haven't been quite sure when exactly they'll finish. Like The Witness, it's an independent studio being confident enough to wait 'until it's ready' to nail down release plans. A surprise release would be pleasant, absolutely, but one way or the other we'll find out more when it's time.

Games in development hell disappear from the public eye for years on end, with few updates and little evidence of progress. No Man's Sky? We've seen nothing of the sort, and it's if anything encouraging to see a small developer seemingly tackling such an effort with such confidence :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

irishmover wrote: »
    I don't remember stuff loading that fast at the E3 presentations. Looks to me like those guys have been working pretty hard on optimisations.
    That was obviously just a video playing in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Thargor wrote: »
    That was obviously just a video playing in the background.

So the PS4 controller was for show yeh?

Yes, he was miming playing a pre-rendered video.

Do you not think it was a bit strange that the animals were being given hilarious names like Colbison and Molebert with zero input from him? Or that he was waving his hands around for emphasis with the controller in his lap at points while the character on screen was walking and shooting?

• Advertisement

Yes, he was miming playing a pre-rendered video.

Do you not think it was a bit strange that the animals were being given hilarious names like Colbison and Molebert with zero input from him? Or that he was waving his hands around for emphasis with the controller in his lap at points while the character on screen was walking and shooting?

I could not see any point where he was waving his hands around while the character was moving, will watch again when I've a chance. I did see him pressing a button to move between worlds and then move the joysticks which at the same time moved the character or ship on screen though. The only point I remember seeing him move his hands was when he pressed a button to land on a planet which looked to be an automatic landing.

It is quite easy to add something like the naming with a photo into a game if you want to. I mean it is his game.

Here's Murray playing the exact same environment demo but what's happening is different (straight away you see the rock explode only one hole where as the Corbert interview has two holes)

He's definitely playing both times. Not pre-recorded.

https://youtu.be/nvRJoehEQf0

https://m.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/3ne1fi/arriving_at_nms_nyc_event_now_will_use_this/

Here's where I got that video from. Nice big right up about the event if anyone is interested.

Here's Murray playing the exact same environment demo but what's happening is different (straight away you see the rock explode only one hole where as the Corbert interview has two holes)

He's definitely playing both times. Not pre-recorded.

https://youtu.be/nvRJoehEQf0
    Its a slightly tweaked version of practically the same video, its even got the exact same viewpoints of the buffalo and mole looking looking things and the character movements that look more like sweeping panning shots than someone moving an FPS character around with a Playstation controller, can you honestly not see that?

Its a slightly tweaked version of practically the same video, its even got the exact same viewpoints of the buffalo and mole looking looking things and the character movements that look more like sweeping panning shots than someone moving an FPS character around with a Playstation controller, can you honestly not see that?

You actually cannot be serious at this point. Basically what you're trying to say is that Sean Murray and his team are lying. Do you realise that?

Read the sub-reddit. You're wrong. A guy was actually there watching him play the game.

• Advertisement

Comparison of 2 videos (cant believe Im having to do this):

Oj27lWm.png

Wow that was some fancy flying that took him down from orbit past the exact same flag and rocks on the exact same path after flying past the exact same ships in orbit.

Have you ever watched a lets play of someone playing an FPS? Its jerky and unpredictable, not smooth sweeping camera angles and slow panning shots. He wasn't playing on Colbert, go through the video and see him waving his hands around while the game plays on on screen, its not hard.

I don't get it. You screenshotted the two videos in the same position what exactly does that prove? Considering he would have played this countless times (like he's said in a quote to the Guardian in July) and was heading down to approx. the same location to ensure it's a working version they're showing the public it's not too hard to believe he would go through the same point whilst demonstrating the same demo.

Things are different in both those videos so for you to be right he would still have had to fly through that exact same position at some point at different times. You're saying thats pretty much impossible, right?

I watched both videos and at one point in the Colbert interview, while he was moving, Colbert interrupted him and Murray turned his attention to Colbert. The character stopped moving.

I'm struggling to find anywhere that anyone is agreeing with you and that infact Murray is trying to deceive everyone.

Also lets not forget that you can see Colbert's system in the video. So for you to be right they would have had to re-record a new video right before this New Yorker interview. I mean come on..

I don't get it. You screenshotted the two videos in the same position what exactly does that prove? Considering he would have played this countless times (like he's said in a quote to the Guardian in July) and was heading down to approx. the same location to ensure it's a working version they're showing the public it's not too hard to believe he would go through the same point whilst demonstrating the same demo.

Things are different in both those videos so for you to be right he would still have had to fly through that exact same position at some point at different times. You're saying thats pretty much impossible, right?
    Any chance of typing the bits in bold out again in a legible way?

As far as I can tell you seem to genuinely believe he flew the ship manually down from orbit in such a way that he managed to line it up on the flag and both those rocks in the exact same way both times with what appears to be the speedometer showing the exact same speed aswell, I am saying this is ridiculous and it is a prerendered video and he is only pretending to fly, Im also saying characters do not move in that way when you play an FPS game, again it is clearly a prerendered video.

This is standard industry behaviour, no need to get so upset:

http://kotaku.com/the-real-stories-behind-e3-s-glossy-game-demos-1710169104

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Is this game ever coming out?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Mickeroo wrote: »
    That will be up to the players though, plenty will want to get involved in PvP and the like so will congregate in systems in order to do so. These games always end up with unofficial hubs for that sort of activity.

Going back a bit here, but I think you are missing how this game works. Trying to pick a PvP system would be a little like saying "Let's all meet in...St. Petersburg" and you have a bicycle to get there. Getting around No Man's Sky is tough. Very tough. The long term goal of the game is to get a ship fast enough to be able to get anywhere distant in a reasonable time.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they just made it so that players can't actually see each other. They would have had to write a whole bunch of netcode into the game to allow realtime player-to-player interaction for something that might happen for 0.1% of the playerbase once or twice.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,228 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Zillah wrote: »
    Going back a bit here, but I think you are missing how this game works. Trying to pick a PvP system would be a little like saying "Let's all meet in...St. Petersburg" and you have a bicycle to get there. Getting around No Man's Sky is tough. Very tough. The long term goal of the game is to get a ship fast enough to be able to get anywhere distant in a reasonable time.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they just made it so that players can't actually see each other. They would have had to write a whole bunch of netcode into the game to allow realtime player-to-player interaction for something that might happen for 0.1% of the playerbase once or twice.

Don't think so, I understand it fine. It looks like it will be much the same as Elite Dangerous in terms of how long it takes to get around and that has a fairly strong PvP community on PC and you're very unlikely to see another human player in that game by chance. If people want to PvP they'll find a way to do it I'm sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

This is standard industry behaviour, no need to get so upset:

http://kotaku.com/the-real-stories-behind-e3-s-glossy-game-demos-1710169104
    Isn't this where somebody says we can't discuss ethics in games journalism, ever, because somebody got doxxed. Oops!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Well this is a touchy thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

GodlessM wrote: »
    Well this is a touchy thread.
    Some people are definitely very attached to this game. Despite it not being out yet and nobody knowing if it's actually any good!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

As far as I can tell you seem to genuinely believe he flew the ship manually down from orbit in such a way that he managed to line it up on the flag and both those rocks in the exact same way both times with what appears to be the speedometer showing the exact same speed aswell, I am saying this is ridiculous and it is a prerendered video and he is only pretending to fly, Im also saying characters do not move in that way when you play an FPS game, again it is clearly a prerendered video.

I don't believe so Thargor, he starts of in the same area heading towards the planet, blasts through asteroid (different each time) to show off destructable terrain (go you, Sean!)
    On The New Yorker demo he says ".. and this is where I landed for the show... but I could land anywhere " (btw he lands close to where he landed on The Late Show). He just uses that system as his go-to starting point, so he's familiar with it. As for his flying/movement, that's gonna be exactly as we see it in these demos (apart from the dev tools he uses), it won't be twitchy.

To my mind, what we're seeing is the full game, it'll be a (based on probability) solo explorathon with combat elements and not the game some are expecting. I also think VR is gonna make this game because what it'll do for immersion will make up for where it lacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Some people are definitely very attached to this game. Despite it not being out yet and nobody knowing if it's actually any good!

Yes, its very suprising. For all we know it could be a turkey.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I just wish they'd pull their finger out and release the damn thing, this is dragging on an awful long time.
    All we are left with is he said/she said spats on online forums and stupid clickbait sh1te on Google Now!
    A solid release date and feature list, as well as a price is all I ask!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

lets hope it does not turn into another Duke Nukem Forever type situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I reckon Sony are holding this back to be a Sony VR launch title. So the game could be ready and they are just sitting on it and maybe adding and improving things under Sony's watch while VR is made ready to launch.

saneman wrote: »
    I don't believe so Thargor, he starts of in the same area heading towards the planet, blasts through asteroid (different each time) to show off destructable terrain (go you, Sean!)
    On The New Yorker demo he says ".. and this is where I landed for the show... but I could land anywhere " (btw he lands close to where he landed on The Late Show). He just uses that system as his go-to starting point, so he's familiar with it. As for his flying/movement, that's gonna be exactly as we see it in these demos (apart from the dev tools he uses), it won't be twitchy.

To my mind, what we're seeing is the full game, it'll be a (based on probability) solo explorathon with combat elements and not the game some are expecting. I also think VR is gonna make this game because what it'll do for immersion will make up for where it lacks.
    I never said thats not what the full game will look like, Im saying at these demos he's clearly miming playing a video, did you even see the screenshot I posted? You think he flew down from orbiting a planet and took that exact same path both times, go back and compare both videos, its identical to the pixel, that's all the proof you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

I never said thats not what the full game will look like, Im saying at these demos he's clearly miming playing a video, did you even see the screenshot I posted? You think he flew down from orbiting a planet and took that exact same path both times, go back and compare both videos, its identical to the pixel, that's all the proof you need.

Seems to me that it's a tightly scripted demo, with autopilot elements. It's largely on rails, and the demo's progression is predefined. The devs could easily implement a waypoint system, so that you hold a button on the controller and predefined inputs move the player around, which will also account for smooth sweeping camera movements. But then you can also release the autopilot button and react to something manually as appropriate during the interview. Murray even says that there is a cheat for jumping between planets, because the whole thing is a linear but interactive showcase, and that makes perfect sense. The more you script the experience, the less likely it is to go wrong when you're live. Plus you can tailor the demo in advance for each showing, which is how the Colbert name jokes and his face trigger automatically. That would take a lot more effort to pre-render and mime for each demonstration. And for the screenshots you're using as a smoking gun, well, big deal? That's probably autopilot for the demo, and of course you will have the same approach vector every time.

So sure, it's a bit of a cheat, but seriously, who the **** cares? It's a showcase to make the game look good, and it's also interactive. I'd say it's largely representative of the gameplay you'll get at home.

Game looks very impressive, though I'm a little concerned that I'm being blinded by how massively broad the experience will be, but that it's not going to be very deep. I look forward to that theory being proved wrong in time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I just wish they'd pull their finger out and release the damn thing, this is dragging on an awful long time.

Again, would you not rather they wait until they're confident enough to give a definitive release date, as opposed to say announcing one and then putting it back? If recent years have shown anything, it's that over-anxiousness to put release dates out there have led to a myriad of delays (and the frankly unreasonable annoyance that usually greets such a thing). Better to not announce a definitive one until there's little doubt it can actually be achieved. We're not exactly talking a studio or publisher who can pour more and more resources into it to get it out the door.

I can't help but compare it to The Witness - a smaller but similarly ambitious game from an independent studio. That was announced more than a half-decade ago now (compared to the two years or so we've known of No Man's Sky), and has only just been given a concrete release date (other than vague years as targets) of January. But again it's a project of seemingly impressive scope, and a heavy undertaking for Jonathan Blow and his team. Spy Party is even more extreme, and admirable for it. I'd always prefer them, wherever possible, to take the time and make the best game they can, or at least one they're happy to release, over committing too early to release dates. The only difference I think is that No Man's Sky has caught the attention of a much wider audience than The Witness, hence more feverish anticipation for it that's perhaps at odds with the practicalities of the production. It'll arrive when it's done :)

Have put in a preorder on Amazon. Will see how it turns out ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Feck the game (for the moment) could we not just a copy of the soundtrack? New 65DoS is always worth a listen (missed their DJ set of it in the V&A recently).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Yes, its very suprising. For all we know it could be a turkey.
    I like turkey.....especially for Christmas :cool:

Advertisement