Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Coming June 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Xenji wrote: »
    Coming June 2016.

Part of me is annoyed but the other part of me is delighted in that it won't distract me from final exams in college.

It may distract me from sending out job applications when I become a qualified grown up though....

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

This is going to be a letdown. Hypetrsin has been rolling for so long now and the promises si grand that it can't possibly live up to it all.
    I reckon it'll look lovely but ultimately lack depth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Getting the feeling it will be spore all over again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I'm glad they've announced a date to remove any distractions from the developers. The more time they get to complete it the better.

Obviously in hindsight, they (along with everyone else) will feel like they announced the game far too early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Well bollox.

Take all the time you need lads but god how disappointing. Luckily they confirm PC release would be as close to that as possible, so no big wait between them by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Sounds like a Christmas 2016 steam sale purchase now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

This trailer has me very excited.

The visuals are nothing new - we've seen them before in multiple other videos. But the voiceover, delivered by Rutger Hauer, gives us our first clue into the story of NMS. This is something we have not been shown yet.

Like many, I was afraid that they would build this impossibly big, beautiful universe but then not give us anything to lead us through it. While that would be fun for a while, I could see it becoming tedious quickly.

However, the fact that there will be some form of over-arching storyline has me more intrigued than ever. Bring on June 2016!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

They never said NMS had a story or was ever going to have one. There is/was only on goal, to reach the centre of the galaxy. It's up to you if you want to go there or not.

This all seems to be shoe horned in now and hence they delay as this game was penciled in for this year. Thats why IGN spent a full month during the summer featuring the game ahead of it's big release. They only ever do that on games very close to release. This could be good or could kill it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm pretty sure they always said there was an overall story, just not a traditional "go here, do that, kill this" type story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah any little story or goal at all will be enough to keep me playing I just cant stand the thought of another pointless sandbox, Im burned out at this stage from every second game being one...

O/T but did anyone else love the Galaxy on Fire games on their phones? I was obsessed with 2 for a full year, only found out about GoF 3: Manticore last night, cannot wait, easily the best mobile games ever made:

http://www.gof3manticore.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm done with anything else to do with this until it's released. I'm not going to look at any more videos, links or write ups, i just want it, and i'm not going to let anything else spoil or ruin it for me. Bring on June!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

The planets don't exactly look crazy different which makes me think it could get very boring, very quickly.

Kiith wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they always said there was an overall story, just not a traditional "go here, do that, kill this" type story.

Ever since I first heard about it there has been the whole "Quest to find the centre of the galaxy" schtick, with the implication that there would be some big reveal once you get there (I'm assuming God from The Final Frontier).

Maybe they've decided to flesh that out a bit more? Which would be nice. A pointless sandbox gets old fast - as long as there is some sort of journey or destination going on it will help keep it interesting.

I also have a hunch that they want NMS to be fully Morpheus/Rift compatible, so maybe there are delays on that front, given that the headsets aren't out until 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Thargor wrote: »
    O/T but did anyone else love the Galaxy on Fire games on their phones? I was obsessed with 2 for a full year, only found out about GoF 3: Manticore last night, cannot wait, easily the best mobile games ever made:

I got it in a Steam sale for 1.99 for the PC. Really good fun for a few hours....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Oh right never knew it was on pc aswell, I always thought it was mobile only with the accelorometer controls etc, never loved a mobile game more, looking forward to III more than any other game except Fallout now tbh.

On the latest Podquisition episode, Laura K Buzz (Destructoid) highlights some things she has been hearing via her sources regarding No Man's Sky over recent months.
    No Man's Sky was meant to be at a UK event called Game City as a "hands off demo", but they cancelled their appearance, apparently due to technical issues.

Sony's E3 Press Conference demo was not on a PS4. It was running on PC.

Considerable issues getting the game to run on PS4.

Optimisation on PC has been hell.

Lots of technical problems getting the game to run at the scale they want.

It is not really surprising, it is a big leap between this and Joe Danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Small team as well, probably didn't help when their offices got flooded neither.

Pre Orders are going live tomorrow on the PS Store, $59.99 and the preview embargo is also up tomorrow, so expect to see a lot of new information popping up.

Xenji wrote: »
    $59.99

here hang on a second

• Advertisement

Looking forward to hearing about the preview. I wonder if they'll give a specific release date.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Don't see any reason why they shouldn't charge full price for the game as long as the content is there.

Edit - shouldn't

I'm assuming you mean shouldn't?

Agreed if so.

That's the thing though, I have doubts as to how much actual content is there. Procedural has me a little concerned about it holding interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I kinda expected it to be "full price" (i hate that term, but it works here). Although ive still to see a euro price so that has me kinda worried.

Elite Dangerous is a mile wide and an inch deep and that was full price. This game looks to have more content on launch than Elite has now and that game already has an expansion. So while ill be waiting for reviews and seeing a bit of opinion the price would not stop me making a purchase,if they deliver what been promised in a reasonably bug free state ill pick it up shortly after release.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

tok9 wrote: »
    Looking forward to hearing about the preview. I wonder if they'll give a specific release date.

22 June

I am not a console player: what on earth does it mean that they have a version being released on bluray? Surely it can't be storage space for better textures or something - the visual quality is capped by the machine's hardware I'm sure.

Also is this right?
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/275850/

No Man's Sky not only being released on PC in the same time-frame but actually a day earlier?

EDIT: Once I logged in it changed to 22nd. Also €59.99, would yiz ever piss off? I'll wait for reviews before I even consider that - but seriously? Since when did even AAA games cost that much? XCOM2 was less than that.

Zillah wrote: »
    I am not a console player: what on earth does it mean that they have a version being released on bluray? Surely it can't be storage space for better textures or something - the visual quality is capped by the machine's hardware I'm sure.

People, and I'm one of them, like to have a physical copy of their game, and it has some physical items to boot, nothing to do with extra visual quality. people really seem to like steelbook versions too, so that will cater to them.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    Also is this right?
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/275850/

No Man's Sky not only being released on PC in the same time-frame but actually a day earlier?

It's probably just available for pre loading. I was under the impression that PS would get it first.

Advertisement